Stuck in an exercise rut

Heather Hunnie
on 7/30/10 11:07 pm - Sayville, NY
When it comes to working out, I know that, for me, I need a routine to get myself started. So, I need to go to the gym the same time each day and do the same daily schedule so I assure that I actually get my butt there. But the, once I am in the zone and used to going each day, then I have a little room to change the actual workout. But, for me, I have to build the habit first, then vary the content later....
  Weight_Loss Blinkies  
                   *~*PROUD OH Support Group Leader*~*
           Join SCALE~Second Chance At Life Everyday~
Click HERE!
                  *Discount Codes: NY Conference MarloweNY11
         Blinkies Myspace Graphics - 15
Cira S.
on 7/31/10 1:20 am - Charles Town , WV
I got into that exercise rut before because I became bored with the same old routine day in and day out.  So I decided to purchase a workout from beach body to work on certain muscles.  i have been seeing some great changes so it keeps me motivated to continue. 

Did I like being in pain, No!  But I promised myself that if I continued I would see a nice change on my body and it will be worth it in the long run.

I am who I am and accept my feelings wholeheartedly.
Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind.

Cira 249/144.0 current/goal 154/ 5'3" 10 lbs below my Dr's goal
100Cira-1.jpg picture by negra266

Cathy_C.
on 7/31/10 6:45 am - Brentwood, CA
I have DEFINITELY struggled with this.  It is still a work in progress but I have found the following advice I received to be really helpful:

Don't stop what works...just throw in something new:  meaning, stick with your 'rut' activity, but do something else several times a month to switch things up.  I have tried, hiking, swimming, walking, etc.  When it is just a few 'extra' things, it doesn't seem like work to me.

Do more or less in a workout: this one was pretty neat.  Every once in a while I will cut my workout back by 25% time-wise, or add 25%.  That way, it is easier on my schedule-but still changes the demands on my muscles/cardiovascular system.

Good luck with your fitness efforts all.  I think it can be difficult sometimes...but it is always rewarding and usually ends up being fun.

Cathy C.
"One man's ways may be as good as another's, but we all like our own best." Jane Austen

miniplk
on 7/31/10 8:24 am - Davie, FL
The secret is to mix it up and keep it interesting. Don't just change your workout by change your form of exercise. It could be at the gym or it could be ballet lessons. It could be bike riding or it could be salsa dancing. It  could be weight lifting or it could be Yoga. Just mix it up and keep it fun. Don't forget walking, jogging and running or water aerobics. Use the season weather changes to help you make your choices. A rut is a bad place to be.
Paula
OH Support Group Leader
WLS Veterans Group Facilitator
JRinAZ
on 7/31/10 1:06 pm - Layton, UT
I'm not a lapband gal but am definitely an exercise fenatic!  ....  I think there's value in routine.  Our minds can pace themselves for one thing and our muscles can become very strong with the areas we are working.  I'm actually in physical therapy right now after having too many abdominal surgeries too close together.  They work you in the same areas with the same motions until that workout feels easy and that area of your body feels stronger....but they add to it and then drop out the easies.  I have incorporated that same kind of plan at the gym before.  when 4.0 became easy on the treadmill then I moved it up to 4.6 then spurts of 6.0, etc.  When the treadmill became too routine then I would do 15 bike, 15 elipitcal, 15 rowing and 15 star stepper every other day.

Our muscles do like repetition becaues they get stronger....but, I think our most powerful muscle "our brain" needs a challenge and definitely needs to step outside of boredom!!!

I'm shooting for a half marathon in acouple of months.  It's not nearly as challenging as stuff I did before my last couple of years of "miserable inactivity" but it's a good goal and keeps me headed in the right direction.

So Eric?  What long term exercise goals do you have?  Is there a marathon in your future?
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

sciguy4u
on 7/31/10 5:34 pm - Marlboro, NJ
I have a new found love after surgery and that is riding a bicycle. Prior to surgery I was just too FAT to ride one and did not ride one since 1975. Well OMG I went out and spent almost $1000 on a bike and enjoy it so much. The freedom is just great. The cardio is good and it is helping me tone my body. Bike riding unlike other excercise can be used to go places, to a friends house, to the store, to a park, to a eal. It is an all around good thing. Yes I do bike ride in the winter and find it exhilerating. For those who want to try it, go for it. You will love it.

Josephine S.
on 8/1/10 10:59 am - Oklahoma City, OK
I have worked with personal trainers before and they have always had me doing different things. Like cardio one day and weight lifting the next day, You might want to put together two different workout routines one cardio and the other weights and change off every day.
yo4short
on 8/1/10 1:17 pm - Lacey, WA
Find an exercise buddy to motivate you to keep going and to help you change things up.  Find activities you enjoy and rotate your workout. 
cathacus
on 8/1/10 3:19 pm - brampton, Canada

im almost 2 yrs out on Aug 8 and last summer i had a fall back with a family  death of  my husband im 36 and he was 41 and i lost my whole life that day july 30 2009 and  from the beginning  of my journey i was exercising and losing  but  from that point of time that this  happened  i lost all interest in losing weight or exercising  i have not  gained and  have only lost around 50 lbs  since last summer  in total ive lost 170 lbs but nee to lose more im at 193 since christmas  and know i should  exercise again but just cant seem to do it i believe that exercise is the key behind the surgery  and hopefully will soon try to get started and finish losing what i need to at least meet a goal of 170 lbs ,

Cathacus
Matt S.
on 8/2/10 2:28 am - Otsego, MI
Yes, it is easy to get stuck in a "rut."  But, that can be good, too.  Some readers like routine - I am one, also.  But, I also like to change things up a little, too.  I try to mix using machines and doing other routines and walking.  I have accumulated a number of pieces in my basement and use them more during cooler and inclement weather.  Exercise videos are another good way to shake up a routine.  There are all kinds out there and they can vary greatly in intensity.

During the summer months I am outside walking or participating in other sports.  Tennis, golf (walking) and dirt biking are my favorites.

I've found early morning exercise works the best for me as I am still waking up.  I guess that helps prevent me from getting too bored as I'm not awake enough to realize it!
Most Active