Why did you choose a band?

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/12/11 12:37 pm - Mexico
Maria is correct, most do not do well with the band. Would your employer prefer to pay for the band which is extremely expensive long term or a sleeve which is cheaper long term?

Time to get real with the employer.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Lisaizme
on 1/12/11 9:29 pm - TX
I agree with the others who say you need to be "on board" if you want the band to work.  While your doctor sounds somewhat supportive, I think I'd interview a few more and try to find one who has a better success rate with the band instead of a doctor who is removing them right and left.  JMO

For me, the choice was easy.  I did not know about the sleeve when I was banded, but I don't think I would've gone with it anyhow.  I am not fond of removing body parts.. yes, even those that aren't functioning as they should.  If I should ever have to get rid of my band and was not a candidate for another one.. I'd reluctantly consider the sleeve.  I might also try to go it alone for a while first.

I did not want a RNY or DS .. because I have had cancer.  While I'm considered "cured" now, if it should ever return, I want to have as close to normal intestines as possible to deal with chemo and/or radiation.

The band has worked well for me so far.  I'm approaching two years, have lost 178 lbs and am still losing.  I rarely pb (refund, upchuck, vomit, etc.) and can eat most foods, even bread if it's toasted.  I keep my band on the looser side. I don't use it as a strangulation device (thank you to a bandbuddie on another list for that great expression) to restrict my intake.  I use it to dim my hunger.  I follow MOST of the band guidelines MOST of the time.

I rarely post here because of the band wars. 

There is no one perfect WLS.  I am thankful there are different ones because we are all so different.  Best of luck with your choice, whatever it might be.
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

Sporki
on 1/13/11 1:54 am - Ravena, NY
Adjustable Gastric Band on 02/28/11
Thanks everyone for all the replies.
The program I am going thru is at a Center of Excellence with a two year, post surgery follow up program and I have a great surgeon who has done many many WLS of all kinds, so that is not a concern for me. He did state that he does have some banders who are doing fine - but overall he finds the band the least effective, most problematic off all the different surgery options.
I started this process last July and actually wanted the band at first until I started doing research, attending support groups and talking to the many different doctors I have seen in the pre-surgery phase. Then i realized that for me, at my age and the amount of weight I need to lose the band probably isn't the best option.  Then I found out that my health insurance policy only offers the band, so there went my options. I did speak to the corporate HR person this morning of the company I work for and was told there is no way to appeal this decision - it is not an insurance issue per say, it is a POLICY issue - the band is all my policy covers and that is not going to change. If it were an insurance issue, I could qppeal, as it is I cannot.  So there you have it.
I have done a lot of research and understand what the band can, and cannot do. I know it will take work, determination and comittment on my part to have any success with ANY of the surgeries, not just the band.  If I chose to go ahead with the band surgery, I know what I am getting in to - I have no unreal expectations as far as that goes. It is just disappointing not to have any options nor to be able to get the proceedure that my surgeon (and my primary, dietician, psychologist and nutrition Drs ) believe is the best option for me. I cannot afford to self pay so that is not an option either. Anyway, my surgery is scheduled for Feb 28 so I have some time to think it through and make my decision. I appreciate the feedback from all of you - it will help me make an informed decision. I'll keep you all posted.
"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."    
Most Active