A must read for all!

Hislady
on 4/4/11 12:51 pm - Vancouver, WA
I have had it with my band and had ALL the saline taken out this afternoon. It was a very interesting chat with the surgeon (not my regular one) She said they find that around 20% of band patients simply can not tolerate the band, that is a whole lot of people if you consider how many are done daily. She said they are just like myself either too tight or not tight enough and can never hit that magic spot. I might add Maria is absolutely right according to this doc. The doc said she doesn't even like to do bands anymore and tries to steer people to the sleeve because it is so much more effective and you don't have to mess around with it once it's done. She also told me most surgeons in Europe won't even do bands anymore because they just aren't effective.  She agreed with me when I said I felt they were basically good for volume eaters but not people who were eating the right foods in the right amounts before the band. So to all of you who poo poo Maria, myself and the 20% others here who keep trying to warn newbies of the down side of the band "eat worms", cause we are not lying or exagerating. Tonite for the first time in 3 years I was able to eat a piece of tenderloin withoutt spending the rest of the evening in the bathroom, it was very nice. I don't plan to go crazy and eat everything not nailed down but it will be awfully nice to be able to eat good healthy food again! By the way I ate a small piece of tenderloin, 1/2 a sweet potato and a tablespoon of applesauce which filled me up just fine, completely satisfying, actually more so because no sliming. So please be aware the band is not the be all end all of WLS, so let's be a bit more tolerant than I've seen here lately.
sherhines
on 4/4/11 1:00 pm - Dale, IN
Sorry you have had a bad experience. Glad you are feeling better.

TMClem62530
on 4/4/11 1:29 pm - Wheeling, WV
I've seen where a few people have revized from a band to a sleeve. I've been considering it, but since having a dilated esophagus I don't believe it would benefit me, I'd have to pay for it myself and I'm not sure how it works afterwards. I'm having a difficult time finding that "magic spot" myself and wondering if this would be better for me even with the afore mentioned problem?
Anyone care to chime in and provide info on this? It might be an answer I"ve been searching for.
Tacy
MARIA F.
on 4/4/11 1:50 pm - Athens, GA
On April 4, 2011 at 8:29 PM Pacific Time, TMClem62530 wrote:
I've seen where a few people have revized from a band to a sleeve. I've been considering it, but since having a dilated esophagus I don't believe it would benefit me, I'd have to pay for it myself and I'm not sure how it works afterwards. I'm having a difficult time finding that "magic spot" myself and wondering if this would be better for me even with the afore mentioned problem?
Anyone care to chime in and provide info on this? It might be an answer I"ve been searching for.
Tacy

Over 7 years and the band is still not working for you! That is so sad! Stories like yours are one reason I get upset with some of the bandsters that keep telling other bandsters "just give it time"! I see others on here that have had theirs for years and lost NO or minimal weight. Just how many years do they expect ppl to waste?!?!?!

Btw...........please visit the revision forum. They can give you some feedback about revision, and may have more info about the dialation. Also check on the other forums. RNY, VSG, and DS are all good options.

Good luck!

FormerlyFluffy.com

NtheGame
on 4/4/11 1:33 pm
I think your doctor today was correct in that the band  works differently for different patients, just like any other surgery whether it be LapBand, RNY, cardiac bypass, hernia repairs, tonsilectomy,  etc.  Take your pick.  The human body is wonderously made and no two are alike all the way down to our dna, so if anyone out there is expecting ANY procedure to have a cookie cutter outcome, then they need to spend more time educating themselves.  I consider WLS a miracle in itself that has saved many lives, just like the cardiac quadruple bypass that saved my dad's life.  It was a miracle yet required much on his part to be kind to his heart and drastically change his lifestyle.  We have to do the same.  I dont doubt that some patients need to  have bands possibly  removed, but I would hope those cases to be rare. Newbies should  find surgeons who are straight up with them, covering the pros and cons, becuase as with any surgery, there are ALWAYS pros and cons. If the dr doesn't go over pros AND cons, find another.  There will always be a number of folks who do not achieve the exact same results as others.  It's the human body at work, and when coupled with the will of the human mind, it will do very different things.   I signed up for this surgery on the dotted line with a reputable dr.  The exact conditions of what lay ahead of course, were unknown, the outcome involved MANY factors and no doctor on the planet can predict that unless he/she has a crystal ball,  as it is with any surgery.  These variables were never kept a secret from me by my doctor, and he was clear that there are MANY variables.   I would simply encourage "newbies" to educate themselves as much as possible and find a reputable surgeon whom they trust and like, so they can make an educated decision when they too sign for the surgery.  Every person has their own story as it should be. some good......some not so good.  Sounds like you are on track now, and good luck to you.  Glad you're having tenderloin and not eating.........well......let's save the worms for the birds, shall we? 
 NtheGame      
MARIA F.
on 4/4/11 2:00 pm - Athens, GA

True all surgeries can have different outcomes. That's not the point. The point is the high % of ppl that the BAND does not work for! And the 20% quoted was just the ppl not reaching restriction. That's not taking into consideration all those with leaks, port problems, slips. Very sad to see so many get the band..............and only a small % to be successful long term with it! Don't you think???

FormerlyFluffy.com

NtheGame
on 4/4/11 2:35 pm
What I think Maria,  is that my doctor is more knowledgeable than the anyone on this mssg touting percentages.   I'm curious to know exactly what your source is for these statistics?  Is it the American Journal of Medicine or similar publication?    Because, my doctors certianly haven't  heard of  these overwhelmingly frightening figues.........but, what do they know, right?  I  just think it would be a good idea for you to reference your source before putting those kind of numbers out there.  If you can make reference to that source,  I for one would be be open minded to read it, and take it with me to my next dr. appointment to discuss it with him.   
 NtheGame      
MARIA F.
on 4/4/11 2:42 pm - Athens, GA
On April 4, 2011 at 9:35 PM Pacific Time, NtheGame wrote:
What I think Maria,  is that my doctor is more knowledgeable than the anyone on this mssg touting percentages.   I'm curious to know exactly what your source is for these statistics?  Is it the American Journal of Medicine or similar publication?    Because, my doctors certianly haven't  heard of  these overwhelmingly frightening figues.........but, what do they know, right?  I  just think it would be a good idea for you to reference your source before putting those kind of numbers out there.  If you can make reference to that source,  I for one would be be open minded to read it, and take it with me to my next dr. appointment to discuss it with him.   

Funny how ppl on this forum want stats................and then WHEN I POST THEM..............you ppl get pissed off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Make up your freaking minds!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FormerlyFluffy.com

NtheGame
on 4/4/11 2:52 pm
Calm down....no one is "pissed off".  LOL   Again, what is your source for the stats you posted?  That's all I'm asking. 
 NtheGame      
MARIA F.
on 4/4/11 3:22 pm - Athens, GA

I generally just post the one from the ASMBS conference. No one seems to like that one on here.

FormerlyFluffy.com

Most Active