Sore banded May 23rd

mamabinck
on 5/26/11 2:03 am - westville, NJ
Hello,
I was just banded on May 23rd. The first couple of days were rough and I am still uncomfortable. My question though is is it normal to have a huge black and blue bruise around where the port site is? Getting around is a bit easier since the gas pains are gone. (thank you heating pad!) but I am still very sore and can not lie on my left side where the port is. Also I get a tightening feeling every now and then in the middle of my chest has anyone experienced any of this? I am happy I got the band but since it is so new to me I don't know what to expect. Any hints tips or stories to relate would be awesome!

Amy

NantucketMom
on 5/26/11 2:20 am - SoCal
Bruise is normal. It will go away. I couldn't lie on my right side (where my port is) for about a week. Pain in your chest area is probably gas. 

My only tip is the heating pad, which you are already doing. Try going for a walk...that might help get rid of the gas. 

Don't worry, you are normal :)
Amy in CA 

MurphysMom
on 5/26/11 4:16 am - CA
I had bruises around every incision site.  They go away soon.  It sounds like you are doing just fine.  Everything you have, I had too.  Just keep on walking.  Good luck.
  One day at a time, and one meal at a time, and I WILL reach my goal!  
Janine P.
on 5/26/11 12:49 pm - Long Island, NY
Amy, when I got my band I looked like I got into a boxing match with Mike Tyson.  My belly was purple, yellow and green.  It was awful - totally normal for you to be bruised all over.  The tightness in your chest is either gas, the feeling of the band, or both.  Don't forget you have a band in you now, and it's brand new to you so you might feel it.  I felt mine for the first week or so, but then the feeling faded. 

Best of Luck!!

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Karebear79
on 5/27/11 12:08 am
Hey there Amy! I was banded on the 24th. I sound just like you. First couple days were rough, still incomfortable and brused. lol! I am doing much better today than any of the other days though. I think it's because I was actually able to sleep for longer than an hour at a time. I can't lay on my left side either yet. I am a stomach sleeper and so very much looking forward to being able to do that again. lol! The heating pad was my hero as well. I was so glad I remembered people suggesting it in the past.

~Karen~

6cc's in a 10cc band
Nikki4381
on 5/27/11 1:00 am - NJ
Amy-

We had surgery the same day... YAY!   I am feeling the exact same way as you, so that makes me feel better....  That tightness feeling has gone away a lot today and thankgod the "heartburn" stopped. Sleep was impossible but after last night, that has gotten better too! With me Its my right side... which is my normal side to sleep on of course LOL

I have a dollar bill size bruise on the port site, which of course I freaked out about and called the dr yesterday. After checking me out  she told me it was a hematoma and I have to watch for different signs and fever... but she said it is common so not to worry. 

What kind of things are you eating right now?  Im so scared to put anything in my mouth (since im a band over bypass patient....getting sick was a way of life before but I don't want that for my second chance) I don't want to eat something that I may get sick on.  Its basically protein shakes, jello, and broth. 

Any questions or even just venting... I'm here!

~Nikki

mamabinck
on 5/27/11 3:46 am - westville, NJ
My bruise is about the size of a softball and is completely purple. They gave me a shot of heprin before surgery to prevent blood clots. I called the Dr. and I was told this is common but usually people don't bruise much and of course I'm not normal so..... anyway every day does get better.  The liquid diet is getting easier and with help from the percocets I can get through my day with little pain. I get this feeling often like I need to burp but nothing comes out I haven't had gas pains in 2 days so I think it may be me feeling the band and it gets worse if I haven't eaten for awhile and my stomach is starting to growl. Broth, protein shakes with skim milk and sugar free jello have been my life lately. I have been leaning more towards the protein shakes since it has more nutrition and I find myself peeing alot! But not much at all in the other department, and it's not like I feel constipated it's like I feel like I just don't have to go.  The sleeping is difficult but I use a small pillow under my belly to help with the pressure while lying down. Last night was my first night in bed since Sunday. I go back to work on Wednesday so I hope the tiredness subsides a bit. yes keep me posted on how you feel since we did band the same day. What Hospital were you in? I think you are from Jersey as well.

Nikki4381
on 5/27/11 11:22 am - NJ
Sounds like I am on the same page with you in a lot of instances, so thats comforting LOL

I was same day surgery at Valley in Ridgewood.... how about you???  I see you live in westville, no idea where that is... Im from North Haledon, next to wayne, wycoff, and franklin lakes.

I actually slept from 1:30 till 5 today with out my liquid Percocet.... I was exhausted since I havent slept well since monday... maybe this will be the start of getting back to normal. Good luck with getting your rest and going back to work weds!! I have been out of work on disability since Jan 3rd and suppose to go back June 12th, sooooo excited!!! (not from surgery, I was having very bad panic attacks/anxiety/ irratic blood pressure so my Dr took me out.... its been a loooong roller coaster of emotions but I think after all of the stuff these months and this surgery I am ready to start over my life!!  Can't wait!)

OMG I dont think I have gone to the bathroom more than since monday...but I too can not seem to go into the other dept.  I keep on thinking I have to go, but then nothing.  My dr said to wait for a couple days and then see what happens.  Im thinking with the protein shakes things might start to happen soon.  Isn't it amazing how open you become with surgerys lol  I didnt do the whole website thing when I had the RNY 8 years ago but this time I figure the support is there so I'll take it...    If you even need anything or just chat, I'm here :)

nikki

Most Active