Coming up on 3 years

anjo
on 6/7/11 3:52 am

I want to provide a little encouragement for those who are not sure about the lap band. I had mine done on June 30 of 2008. It was the best decision for me and I feel my life is much better because of it.

I did not lose whopping amounts of weight quickly. I lost about 60 lbs the first year and then another 10 to 15 (fluctuates) after that. I still would like to lose 30. The point is, this is FOR LIFE and I am not in a hurry. The thing I love the most is I am not afraid of food. Even if I wanted to totally binge on something I couldn't. The band prevents that. So, no need to be scared. I might obsess about a hamburger all day long, but when I go to eat it I can only do three or four bites then I am done. Thank you BAND! So, no more fear of food or what foods will be where. No more fear of how to resist temptation.

Secondly, even if I have not lost the last 30 lbs, I haven't GAINED any in 3 years. Never has there been a time in my life when that happened. If nothing else, I pray I will have this tool forever so I will not gain weight. Even if I never lose another pound, I am grateful that keeping the weight off is not the battle it used to be.

I haven't gotten used to my size 12, and size L or M shirt yet. When I shop I have to remember I am much smaller than my 22-24, XXL days. My brain has some catching up to do, but I am so much happier not to be in bondage with food.

All of you who are starting your journey--don't be in a hurry. Your attitude about this will likely affect your success.

I will get around to losing those last 30 lbs. It might even take a few more years, but I am happy and that matters.

Best wishes to you all.

Hermosa L
on 6/7/11 4:24 am
Congrats! Your a doing so well with your TOOL 

I love your point of view.. when I chose lap band it was about being vainty .. my goal was never to be thin 130 pounds not that there is anything wrong with that but I have been heavy my WHOLE life -- I have no kids so I can say I gained some weight after having babies.. NOPE.. I am just heavy!! So for me having this surgery was to lose weight where I didn't struggle so much in life.. with things like breathing!! snoring!! WALKING!! My surgery choice wasn't a race to be SKINNY ..

My body is very happy at the weight I'm at right now and I need to put some serious effort to lose these last 50 pounds (already down 90+ pounds) but if it takes me 2 years honestly I'm okay with that.. I didn't gain all my weight in a 2-3 year period but over 21+ year period. I have issues with food.. bottom line.. and the band helps me MAKES me be in the "moment with my issues" it is a struggle but I know regardless of surgery I would find a way to eat around it or eat too much because the issues is me not the WLS surgery I chose. I have to make better choices, I have to tell the fat girl inside she can't have twix and doritios!! The lap band was the best thing I ever did for myself!! I have 0 regrets!!

I too have never lost a significate amount of weight and keep it off that in itself is a huge accomplishment.  CONGRATS again :)
melly37
on 6/7/11 5:21 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
You do have a good attitude!!  I think it's wonderful that you have accepted that this ia journey, definitely no set time limit on losing weight.  You have done very well, congrats!!!

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

Lisa O.
on 6/7/11 5:24 am - Snoqualmie, WA
We've been together from the beginning.  I had my surgery 6 months after you.  I love your attitude and this post stands as a reminder to me that life is good!  I often beat myself up for not yet being at goal, but then I have to remember my life 100+ lbs ago.  Even if I don't lose another pound I know that I am healthier and can do many, many things I couldn't do when I weighed 330 lbs.  Life is good!

Love my band!

Congrats on your 3 yr. surgiversary!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

steelerfan1
on 6/7/11 5:45 am
congrats to you and a excellent post !!! I also have to remind myself that I didn't put on 348 pounds on my body in one day or even one yr and its not going to come off me in that time frame either unless I do some very unhealthy things .

There are  days I wi**** would come off faster I think everybody is like that , but in the process I have learned so much in the last 6 months about myself and about food that I would have never learned without this surgery.  I think that is the biggest thing right there is to actually learn how to eat, how to eat foods in moderation and yes even them bad girl foods .

I'm pleased I might lose weight a little slower then others but that is okay also :o)  Every day I make better and better choices and then you have them oops days like today for me that everything is just bad lol , but pick up and move on and tomorrow is another day

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

sesmith
on 6/7/11 5:47 am
 yes, yes,and yes.
(deactivated member)
on 6/7/11 6:46 am
Hi,

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed your story. I'm on the same plan and sure there are times I would like to be magically skinny overnight, I remind myself I chose the band to do it slower and easier on purpose.  For me it is all about slowly adjusting to this new way of eating so that it becomes NORMAL -- not a diet which I would very likely not be able to keep doing long term.

debbie H.
on 6/7/11 6:54 am - AR
There are so many amazing people on this sight, and you are one of them.  I not only am a slow loser, I'm not a youthful loser.  So I tell myself that though I've lost only 32 lbs in over 4 months, and 10 of those were with the surgery and the 2 weeks that followed, I'm OK with that.  I'm sorta afraid to lose faster than I can tighten my skin with working out and Zumba.  I know it will take me a year or more to lose what I need to lose, and it's OK cause it tok me a lot longer than a year or 2 to put it on and carry it around.

Most Active