Need Help--Horrible Acid Reflux

anjo
on 8/23/11 3:22 am
I am a little over three years out. I have not had a bit of trouble with my band. However, recently I started to have heart burn and reflux. I started taking omniprazole (SP?) and that completely erased any burning. However, I am waking up a night choking on reflux. This has never happened to me in my entire life. Any ideas? I am still able to eat fine, etc. I just hate this choking at night. It is kind of freaky.
kathkeb
on 8/23/11 3:31 am
This appears to be 'common' about 2 - 3 years post op.

I just had a small unfill (about 1/4 cc) because I am having some 'silent' reflux  -- a recent endoscopy shows that I have grade 4 Reflux Esophogitis (the most severe) even though I don't really feel it --

Chronic reflux can lead to Barrett's esophogitis -- which is a pre-cancerous condition -- you want to be sure to get this treated -- maybe a scope to find out how much damage has been done, and perhaps a small unfill to allow the acid to drain better.
Kath

Lisa O.
on 8/23/11 4:44 am - Snoqualmie, WA
You're correct...again!  Something about that 2-3 mark.  I just had .5 taken out of my band because I had to "get real" with myself because I was pbing too often and had to take prilosec daily.  It's amazing what a relief a tiny unfill can give. 

It's just not worth risking our health!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

steelerfan1
on 8/23/11 3:32 am
It could be one of two things or it could be nothing but I would suggest you talk to your doc about this though asap.

It could mean you are just a tad bit tight and need just a little taken out , or it could mean your band has slipped.

My doc has told me at anytime I get sudden Reflux  I am to call him asap on this.

Call today and make a appt with your doc to get checked out .

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Lisa O.
on 8/23/11 4:42 am - Snoqualmie, WA

Please make an appt. now with your surgeon.  This is not something to be messed with.
I've had this happen twice.  The first time I had to get a total unfill for 2 weeks that this past week I had to have .5 taken out of my band because of irritation to my esopahgus, etc. 

It could mean a couple of things but none of them are good for you, so don't delay! 

I'm praying that it's not serious an that your surgeon can give you relief.

Please keep us posted.

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Hislady
on 8/23/11 9:07 am - Vancouver, WA
Like Lisa says, get thee to the doc ASAP. This is pretty common and really needs immediate attention especially when you are choking at night! You can develope aspiration pneumonia or even choke to death so it is nothing to mess with!
justjudy
on 8/23/11 9:36 am - Canton, MI
As have several others, I had the same experience.  Was going along great at 2-3 years out when I suddenly developed horrible reflux, with acid shooting from my nose and mouth as I sat up in bed.  Had a partial unfill and have been working since to get back to good restriction without reflux. 

As others have said, you have to get this taken care of ASAP, as it is potentially dangerous for your long term health. 

Judy

melly37
on 8/23/11 10:34 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
When that happened to me, my band had slipped.  Please do what the others have suggested and go see your doc!

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

(deactivated member)
on 8/23/11 11:59 pm - Canada
Had the same thing happen to me, the reflux at night was terrible, would wake up choking , but as soon as I had 1 cc taken out , I had immediate relief. Month later had .5 cc put in, and am doing well now. I was just too tight ! Don't hesitate to get an unfill, you can do a lot of damage by not having the unfill. It is quite common as all the other posts have stated. However call and ask for an unfill, ASAP
Melanie D.
on 8/24/11 10:00 am
I had the same issues and had an ulcer so they put me on omezaprole for the ulcer and reglan for the reflux and had to take fluid out for a while to give me time to heal. 
Most Active