subway diet??

AmberF
on 10/24/11 1:59 pm - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 12/12/12
So anyone who has read my post before knows that right now I am having issues with getting good restriction. Either to tight or to loose. However when I say to loose let me just say that I mean I dont think I have as much restriction as I would like I want to be like some who eat a cup of food and are great for hours. That being said my portions are definately wayyyyy smaller than they ever were before. Where I use to eat 5 slices of pizza after 1 piece im feeling pretty full but can sometimes push a second piece ( I know I shouldnt be eating pizza and I know some of my eating choices are contributing to not getting the results that I want)  Anyways what I really wanted to ask about was this: My husband and I are super busy he works all the time and I am at school pretty much all day. We eat out alot! So this is my new plan im just wondering if its completely crazy. So Im thinking that for breakfast Im going to have a protien shake and for lunch and dinner Im going to do a subway 6 inch meal with baked lays and water to drink.  I live in down town atlanta and I have a million subways around me that I could walk to for each meal. Also another way I know that I have some restricion is that I use to be able to have a foot long a bag of chips and a huge coke and still be able to eat more. Now I can barely finish a 6 inch sub.  Also Im just trying to figure out something cheap I swear I cant go into the grocery store without spending at least 200 dollars the subway meal of the days are only 3.99. 8 dollars for lunch and dinner is pretty good on the pocket so I guess I was just looking for some feedback
sfnativewm
on 10/24/11 11:43 pm
I know your frustration etc with the food.   With that said you should be making your meals 75% protein and 25 % a veggie this new in the band game.

Bread will make you either get stuck or slow your weight loss.  A suggestion is to just eat the insides of the subway and toss the bread.

Good luck!

~Ann~
Band removed and feeling alive with energy!

Easternshoregrl
on 10/27/11 4:54 am - MD
Any subway sub can be made into a salad. That may be a way to go

First consult 306, pre-op visit 278, surgery date 272, current 198

JodiBoda
on 10/25/11 3:31 am - Butler, PA
I would suggest taking at least the top bun off and eating the insides.  You could probably leave the bottom on if you're like me and want that little bit of bread.  And load up on veggies.  Eat slowly!  That is a huge hang-up of mine.  My portions would be much smaller if I slowed down and let myself feel full.  You might not be able to eat even the 6-inch sub then.  Don't "push" anymore food in, even if you can.  And skip the Lays if you can, or eat only half at each meal. 

Good luck with your new plan! 

Jodi

"Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light."  ~ Helen Keller

marypatf
on 10/25/11 5:09 am
Why do you have the shake for breakfast?  Why not have an egg or two before leaving hte house?
That way you get full and have the protein... or bring hard boiled eggs for lunch... ?

The bread with the subways would be my downfall. I do not do well with it//
But eating the insides is a good idea.... some of their sandwiches are high fat.. Like the italian ones.... (that is what I used to eat)....   Good luck...

HW-272, PreOp Diet Start-269, SurgWeight-256,                                               CurrentWeight 189. 

tripmom02
on 10/25/11 5:23 am - NJ
 Just thinking about all the sodium, nitrates and carbs in those "meals" made me gain a pound, honestly I do not think this is a good idea at all. I think it would be cheaper and easier to cook yourself up some solid proteins on the weekends and then eat that during the week. 

For example, I get the big buy packs of skinless chicken breast, I cook all 8 lbs on the weekend in the crock pot, along with browning some ground beef and a small batch of pork chops. Once cooked and cooled I split it into smaller portions and freeze some and put the rest in the fridge. This way during the week I can have it for lunch or dinner, just adding something to it (like salsa and Greek yogurt in a lettuce leaf, a bit of mayo for chicken salad, shredded with a dash of BBQ sauce in a lettuce leaf). 

I don't think Subway is the way to go if you want to eat healthy, especially if you are struggling with restriction as it is the perfect way to consume way more calories then you really want to without really knowing it.

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

kathkeb
on 10/25/11 1:20 pm
Amber --
I am going to tell you what is true for me.

A protein shake for breakfast does not satisy my hunger (and my idea of a protein shake is about 300 calories) --- for that, I can eat a Luna Bar (or other protien bar) and then about 2 hours later, have a small banana ---- that 'feels' like more food to me.    Protein shakes run right through my band and do not feel like food.

For lunch, if I have to rely on Subway, I order 'tuna in a cup' --- which is basically the 6-inch tuna sub without the bread, and with some veggies (I prefer cucumbers and tomato) --- and the baked chips.
I eat the tuna with 1/2 a chip, slowly and carefully and avoid the bread.   Bread not only give me problems some days, but is also too 'carby' for me and causes me to crave more carbs.

I would also pack some low-fat Wheat Thins and a low-fat cheese stick (buy a package each week and store them at the work/school refrig if needed) --- also, stock up on some Greek yogurt and other snacks that give you a good protein 'bang for your buck' ---- to snack on.
Kath

abandster
on 10/27/11 4:32 am
When I was banded, I couldn't eat bread or pizza.  But if I could have, here's what I would have done.....I'd have eaten at SubWay and when I ordered, I'd ask them to scoop the inside of the sub roll OUT (kind of making like a canoe of the top and bottom piece of bread) and I'd have a lot less bread and could get down more of the filling.  Eating a SubWay without that wonderful bread just isn't a SubWay.  And their cold cut sub is my favorite and even now I load it up with all the veggies after then put the meat in.  I add the cheese and have it toasted and the toasting may help you to get the bread down, as well.  If you're going to eat the bread, I just don't want you to get it stuck.

And if I got the meatball sub, I may open that one up and eat the wonderful filling to make sure I could get it all down and then eat the bread with the sauce on it until I got full.

The suggestion of having the chicken or tuna salad in a cup is a good idea if you don't want the bread but I'd hollow out the bread because that's one of the best parts!!!!!!
Most Active