Hi All!! Back again after going MIA for almost 2 years!

Angelofmusic219
on 2/12/13 8:01 am - Madison, NJ

I'm coming up on 5 years with my Lap Band, and overall, I can honestly say it's been the best thing I've ever done for myself. That being said, recently I've had a few challenges: 1. Reduced time available to exercise due to working full time during the week and going to Nursing school at night and on the weekends, and 2. Permanent knee issues that have ended my running days.

Anyway, long story short,  when I was running 3-4x a week, between 4-6 miles at a time, I could "get away" with eating a certain way. My band was "there," but not really restricted at all. Since my running days ended last summer, I've tried other things like spinning class, which I adore, but I just don't get the same calorie burn as a nice run. I put on about 15 pounds since I stopped running.  I decided to go have a fill last Friday, and doggone it, I ended up with a minor stretch in my pouch. I got a small fill, but also got read the riot act about following the band rules. Time to pay the piper, as they say.

That put the fear of you-know-where into me, and so I've been liquid dieting to the letter since then. I definitely feel far less bloated, clothes feel better, but I'm still frustrated because somehow I managed to gain 2 pounds since then. WTH?

Point I'm trying to make has been said before, and I'll say it again: stick with it. Do what you're supposed to do and eat what you're supposed to eat. Follow up consistently so things don't become unmanageable. 

Here's to better days ahead and better things to report! 

Becky M. Coming up on 5 years, still working at it.  

Start: 257  Lowest: 177 Current: 200

crystal M.
on 2/12/13 10:25 am - Joliet, IL

Welcome Back

I also used to run but can't because it hurt my joints and shins...oh the pain!!!  I stopped before I caused any damage so if I really wanted to I could go jogging right now.  But I know with the pain I was having in another year or two I was heading where you are now.  So I stopped. 

What I do now...is the elliptical.  To get a good calorie burn I increase the tension.  I did this slowly though.  I didn't just jump on there and increase it too the tilt right away.  I did it over time...so now I have the tension set at 7-8 for 45 minutes and the last 15 minutes I put it up to 10-11 to really pump up the muscles.  I keep the pace at 4-5 mph.  There is no impact and I am getting tons of muscle strengthening. 

I don't know if this is something you can do or not.  I just thought I would throw it out there. 

grannymedic1
on 2/13/13 1:33 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

I am so glad you have been doing so well. Your schedule sounds like mine was a few years ago, except I went to school days, doing 16 week classes in 8 wks. and then working at night. Of course as a paramedic I was able to study or sleep if nothing was going on but the stress was huge. Try to add some swimming or weight lifting to your regimen if possible to help you offset the lack of running. I know time is limited but the better shape you are in the better you will handle the stress of school and work. I just got fatter and didn't have surgery until 3 years after I finished. Big mistake.

Good luck, Sue

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

pineview01
on 2/13/13 7:31 am - Davison, MI

If you can find the time to get in a swim, that works here.  I have the elliptical here to but, hate working out inside.  I ruined my joints running, always was heavy.  I understand you time crunch.  I did all the pre nursing classes.  Was admitted to clinic but the head told my I had to quite my job.  When I wouldn't she added a mandatory weekly interview during my working hours and told me I had to choose.

Good luck finding something that works for you.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active