Last meal Yesterday and Pre-op Diet TODAY!!

sexy_me
on 1/23/12 3:36 am
VSG on 02/06/12
With just two weeks until surgery, I started my pre-op diet today. My diet has a good variety with Glucerna shakes, Protein Powder, Skim milk, Salt free broth, Gardenney Butternut squash soup, V8 vegetable juice, Sugar free jello, Greek yogurt.

Last week, I worked out the final details. I thought my pre-op diet would be very blah and instead I have a "diet" that I know I can stick too.   

Now one wee****il my pre-op assessment at the hospital.

I was wondering what was or will be your "last meal"?? 
Mine was Oven roasted chicken with broccoli, baby potatoes and for dessert a small bowl of mixed berries.

West Coast Bariatric Surgery Centre Program - VSG, February 6/12, Richmond, BC

Kever4Life
on 1/23/12 5:39 am - Canada
RNY on 03/26/12
Wow, two weeks left only? Did it go fast for you? I know April really isn't super far away but it feels like forever!

Did Nooshin put the plan together or did you? She asked me to try Glucerna and Boost I am not sure which one I will go with though.

Your "last" meal sounded yummy but I would have to say that I am going to have Prime Rib, a baked potato and veg's (Broccoli, carrots, cauliflower) and maybe a small dessert. My surgery is right after Easter so I may have to have some of those little mini eggs because who knows if I will be able to eat chocolate after this surgery!

I guess the hospital calls you closer to your surgery to book the pre-op right? I haven't heard from them so that is what I assumed.

Good luck on the liquid portion, please keep posting so I can follow to see how you are doing!

Have a great week!

Karen
seeking_freedom
on 1/23/12 7:45 am - winnipeg, Canada
RNY on 06/05/12
i plan on going to applebees and having ribs and loaded mashed potatoes, and a chocolate mousse shooter. that or i will go to olive garden and have their yummy breadstix and 5 cheese pasta marinara, and say goodbye to the never ending pasta bowl.
i havent had either of these in a very long time, when i do go out to eat i stick to the under 550 calorie menu at applebees or we go to pitapit.
once i get a surgery date i will also have to start weaning myself of my diet pepsi... i will miss the caffine lol
niki 

refered to weight wise , edmonton june 2010, asessment nov 2011, surg june 2012
sexy_me
on 1/23/12 8:31 am
VSG on 02/06/12
OK Niki,

I'm Drooling now...  I have to pass a Applebees everyday on my way home LOL.

I'm missing caffiene too... been two weeks since my last fix LOL 

sexy_me
on 1/23/12 8:23 am
VSG on 02/06/12
Karen, it is only two more weeks... I shake my head each time I say it because I'm stunned it's really happening.

I got my date at the end of November so a lil over two months of waiting and few days were looooong! I'd say the days waiting for a call to pre-ops were the worse. I was gonna go nuts waiting for phone to ring but yes it is closer to your surgery date when they do call and then a few days prior to surgery you call for the time.

Nooshin is wonderful to work with isn't she, we finalized details of my diet plan last week. I know there is a set amount of allowable calories she calculates and together we worked in any preferences and restrictions due to food allergies. 

*Tip: Do not try Glucerna or Boost at room temp, make sure it is super cold first or you may never want to drink that flavor again.
What happened was I just came from Nooshins office and arrived at the airport late for our flight. So I slung the unchilled strawberry Glucerna back and eeeewwww was that a mistake(I'll spare the details of afterwards). Anyway, I cannot stand strawberry flavor now and it was not half bad tasting before. It might get better as the two weeks progress.. maybe. I did learn something that on that one... Prepare yourself better, Slow down and must Chill!

Right now and in the days ahead it will still seem so far away but April will come fast and you'll be making diet plans with Nooshin in preparation for your date. I had been working on my plan for weeks which gives plenty time for trial and error, use the time to find what you call tolerate or can't stand before you must commit to it. I know I am grateful for the time to adjust. 

I'll keep you & everyone updated on my progress but if you want to talk privately just send a message to my inbox

Later

Dianne C.
on 1/23/12 7:45 am - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12
Tee hee....you'd think we were all heading off to the gallows talking about last meals!!! LOL.  

I had meatloaf (Sobey's makes the best meatlof ever), scalloped potatoes (also premade from Sobey's, on sale really cheap, very yummy) and broccoli, too.  

I see you have a good variety of things you can eat. I can also have sugar free jello and broth, but no V8 or thick soup. I can make my shakes with milk, so I get that, too.  I keep trying Greek yogurt because it's high in protein, but I just can't stand the texture more than anything.  Maybe if I filled it full of blended berries or something (obviously down the road) it would help.

I find it really interesting that there are so many different ideas out there of what is the "right" thing for patients to eat (including many who can't have any real food) before the weight loss surgery.  

Good luck with the next two weeks...and of course the surgery and all the weeks to follow!

Dianne           
HW 270 (Sept 2011); surgery weight 236 (Feb 6, 2012); current 167 (103 lb lost); goal set by nutritionist 148 (ha ha!!). Vertical sleeve gastrectomy at Obesity Control Center (Dr. Ariel Ortiz), Tijuana, MX. Self-pay, self-referral, 4-week wait. Abdominoplasty Aug 10, 2013 (Dr. K. Dolynchuk, Winnipeg - self-pay)

Dianne C.
on 1/23/12 7:51 am - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
VSG on 02/06/12
 P.S.  I also don't have to live without caffeine!!!  I was so happy when I asked that question and at this facility they don't require you to stop caffeine. I've been told the requirement to stop caffeine is because it causes dehydration. I did some research on the internet and found studies that showed if you are already taking in caffeine, it doesn't have that effect at all, so the theory seems a bit sketchy. I am kinda concerned about the Diet Pepsi habit myself, though. I've been trying to drink less, but I think that's the one thing I'm going to find it hard not to have. 

Dianne           
HW 270 (Sept 2011); surgery weight 236 (Feb 6, 2012); current 167 (103 lb lost); goal set by nutritionist 148 (ha ha!!). Vertical sleeve gastrectomy at Obesity Control Center (Dr. Ariel Ortiz), Tijuana, MX. Self-pay, self-referral, 4-week wait. Abdominoplasty Aug 10, 2013 (Dr. K. Dolynchuk, Winnipeg - self-pay)

sexy_me
on 1/23/12 8:40 am
VSG on 02/06/12
 Dianne, I know it's kinda funny "our last meals"

all i can says is  "GOODBYE MY GREEN SALADS, I HOPE TO SEE YOU AGAIN"  

I could not stand regular FF yogurt I tried it repeatedly to no avail.

Thank same to you

justlori
on 1/23/12 8:34 am - Winnipeg, Canada
VSG on 02/21/12
I'm not sure what my 'last meal' will be 2 weeks from tonight, but I highly doubt broccoli or any other healthy veggie will be on the menu.  I'm thinking some totally awful carb-laden meal, like pasta or thick-crust loaded pizza, or a mound of mashed potatoes smothered in gravy.  Berries for dessert sounds good too, but mine will probably be in the form of a topping on the cheesecake I plan on eating. 

Funny though, I really thought I'd be eating everything bad in sight when I got the call last week that my surgery was booked, but I really haven't been. 

It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves. Edmund Hillary
HW 282  CW 229  Height 5'9"  NUT Goal: 195-199  My Goal: 175

sexy_me
on 1/23/12 8:53 am
VSG on 02/06/12
 It surprised me too, I believed I would go all crazy for anything I could eat but no I have been slowly cutting back the calorie input for few weeks now. I was ready with some "MAD CASH" just in case but now that I'm here I'm looking into buying a really good blender or food processor because the one we have now is barely alive. Go figure huh all that and I don't want go all out for bad stuff

Most Active