Salad?

Jeanine J.
on 9/22/11 10:38 am
  Is it ok to eat salad with protein on it (like turkey, chicken or ham) for 2 meals? I have started sipping protein drinks during the day and I am hoping to get enough protein from 2 shakes (throughout the day) and my 2 salads. My NUT said for someone my size 40 grams will be ok. I think I am managing about 40 with my 2 shakes so I will have more with my salads. I also drink water (because I have given up soda {AGAIN}). I am really trying to eat more closely to my new living style than what got me to be SMO. So any suggestions will really be helpful! Thanks in advance!
DavidReed
on 9/23/11 11:48 pm
I can't think of any reason that this wouldn't be okay.

It's funny, you know, we spend years of our lives trying to eat large, bulky, foods low in calories, so we can feel satisfied, and still eat healthy.  Now, after weight loss surgery, we need to do the exact opposite, and eat nutrient dense, rich, foods (not fattening...just...rich)...in order to get enough nutrtion in in the amount of food we can take in.  

Congratulations on giving up soda (again.)  :-)  It's still the hardest thing, for me...

-David
"Hello, my name is David, and I am a nutritional over-achiever..."

Jeanine J.
on 9/24/11 10:07 am
 I think that I am going to buy stock in Fiji water. lol I have found that I can drink this like its nothing!! I LOVE IT!!! :) 
Bkritty
on 9/24/11 11:05 am
Thats great that you found a water that you like Jeanine! I eat salad a lot. I have heard that you should avoid iceberg lettuce so be aware of that. My favorite salad is baby spinach (always thought it would be gross but I love it) feta cheese sprinkles, dried cranberries (just a few for some added flavor), crushed almonds and diced chicken. I use a low fat honey balsalmic dressing and it is so good and protein packed! Sounds like you are doing better! Keep up the good work! 

Kristie

DavidReed
on 9/24/11 11:56 am
That sounds delicious!  :-)  Great, now I'm hungry!  Thanks Bkritty!!!

-David

Barbie F.
on 9/25/11 9:25 pm - ME
   Salads are all of a sudden pretty yummy.. i used to really dislike like them.. but i go to hannaford, make my own lil lettece, lots of chicken, cheese, lil ham.. black olives, n some low fat dressing mmmm!!! i think ive gotten alt but when i get to the scale to weight it is like 3 or 4 ozs..  filling.. now to get away from the smartones lassagna.. OMG they are sooooo good..  i also eat lots of lean cuisine chicken stir fry.. with pasta cant do rice.. nope rice just kills me!! but i guess the lean cuisines n smartones arent so bad still losing so..  :)

DavidReed
on 9/30/11 7:13 am
Hi Barbie,

I see you and I had surgery about the same time (I was also in March this year...March 3)...Congratulations on your success!

Recently, I've found myself craving some fresh salad now and then too...not just eating it, but craving it...not a lot, just a little.  Very little lettuce/spinach, but really like the veggies.  Especially the cucumber and tomatoes (I think that's because of the moisture content in them...)  And, of course, the grilled chicken to go with it...

I don't know who you had for a surgery...didn't recognize the name...Where did you have your surgery done?

Still losing, you said!  Keep up the good work!!!

-David

micbrook
on 9/28/11 1:58 am - Clifton, ME
RNY on 11/21/07 with
 Salad is ok  my favorite meal is   chef salad but i  have it made special so i dont overeat  or throw it away.

Glad to hear you have given up soda.   After a while it will be second nature but  sometimes it takes awhile.   

They always say  that when we lose all that weight we lose alot of muscle that is why our nuts  want us to exercise and follow the rules. if we go back to the old ways we will gain our weight back  and be even more unhealthy.   Take care and it sounds like you are doing great!!!!

Debra Sirois
on 10/6/11 7:07 am - Norridgewock, ME
Hey there Skow town girl do you still go to the pool?

I love salads and eat them as a good meal when we go out. jus****ch the dressing it can be loaded w/ calories. I would double check on the amount of protien you need 40 grams seems kinda low. And we need it to keep the weight coming off.

I still exercise 5-6 days a week mostly at the rehab center the mowing the lawn on the weekend of off days makes up the rest. I'm down almost 180 and still feel full quickly.  I do get cravings every once in a while but usually a small taste of the forbidden food satisfies me or else I throw it up.TMI 
Maybe when they start support groups in Skowhegan you & I will finally meet!

Debbie

Debra Sirois, Norridgewock Maine

Jeanine J.
on 10/9/11 9:52 am
 I haven't been to the pool lately...I am going to try and start going again but my work schedule is so up and down up and down...never consistent! I really like the aerobic classes they are so much fun! Maybe next week I will sign up again!
As far as my salads I try not to put a lot of dressing on. Just a little bit of dressing to make it a little moister! (lol I have no idea if moister is a word) I bumped up my protein on my own. I want to get in at least 55-60 grams. 

What's worth the PRIZE is ALWAYS worth the FIGHT!                
Most Active