Ooops, I goofed....

DavidReed
on 10/6/12 10:59 pm
So, somehow, I ended up in the EMMC ED on Friday night, well, about 1:30 Saturday morning actually...   I had a late-night snack...a banana with some peanut butter on it, about 11 on Friday night.  I knew I was going to be up a few more hours, and was feeling like a little something, so I had a banana and some peanut butter.  Delicous.  A fairly regular snack for me (ie, 2-4x a week.)   Not to long after, I started to experience some pretty sharp abdominal pains.  I really don't know why.  It would hurt quite a lot for a minute or two, and then fade away.  Then come back a few minutes later.   I waited it out until almost 1am, but it didn't improve.  Since we live so far from EMMC (an hour), and I wasn't really sure what was going on, and this wasn't anything I'd ever experienced before (not even once), I was really thinking either I had some sort of obstruction, that I was having a gall bladder issue, or perhaps my intestines had moved some way in which they shouldn't have.   Keeping in mind this was during a week when I'd already banged myself up quite a bit (I've really kicked the exercise up quite a bit, running 6.5 miles on the previous Saturday, during which I really irritated my right knee), Tuesday, when I had a spell of light-headedness, probably because I didn't eat enough, or didn't drink enough that day, and then this on Friday night...   So, we went to the ED...After being there a few hours, a series of test, x-rays, etc, the doc told me I had a "20% chance" of an obstruction, and that I'd probably be fine as-is...by then (5:30am), I was actually feeling mostly better...so we left, and all seems to be well...   I'm doing very well, and am very pleased...but this was my first experience with the ED since my surgery (18 months, 4 days from surgery.)  Turns out it really wasn't anything, it appears, but, for someone who hasn't had any "bad" experiences during my journey, it was a little nerve-rattling.   My weight now is 213.6, down from my high of 450.  I'm doing well, feeling healthy, and hoping to lose another 15 pounds or so.  Still working it.     Hope all my friends here are still doing well!!!

Incidentally, if anyone is interested, you can look up my Facebook page:   New England Bariatric/Surgical Weight Loss Support Group

Have an excellent Sunday!!!

-David

-David
"Hello, my name is David, and I am a nutritional over-achiever..."

A. Watson
on 10/7/12 12:41 am
RNY on 08/07/12
A. Watson
on 10/7/12 12:44 am
RNY on 08/07/12

Congratulations on the running! So sorry to hear about your knee and the not so great experience on Friday night :(
I am a little over 2 months post op and have had a few complications, for instance my bowl movements are not as frequent as they should be and have to rely on Milk of Magnesia if I haven't gone by Day 3. My left side still has a poking sensation (by my ribs) every time I bend over, reach or am sitting down reach or bending, and can be very painful. My doctors have done CT Scans and X Rays and yet they could not find anything that would cause such a feeling. And my pouch, oh my precious pouch...I feel as though we are at war with each other, liquid foods we can handle...solid foods is a different story.  For example: I made some marinated chicken breast and baked it in the oven for both lunch and dinner, for lunch my pouch will do well. Have the same thing for dinner and I am throwing up or at the very least gagging/ dry heaving. I pay attention to how small my bites are, and that I am always chewing to apple sauce consistency. This is an everyday occurrence, but I still press on, I haven't been doing too much exercising, but believe me in the 12 hours of my CNA job that I do 3 days a week my pedometer says that I walk approximately 7-10 miles each shift I work, not to mention the bending, the lifting, the pulling and pushing that I do!

I hope all is well with you! And keep in touch. I too am on Facebook but in order to keep my relationship with my family solid I have chosen not to tell them about my WLS. If you would like to add me just private message me and I will give you the address.

Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.

NathanLocated
on 10/15/12 2:39 am - Carmel, ME
I'm glad you are doing well and are ok, that would be scary :)

Nate

micbrook
on 10/16/12 2:58 am - Clifton, ME
RNY on 11/21/07 with
Better to be safe than sorry  but i am glad you are feeling better.    Take care

Patty

Most Active