Introduction and current situation.

Johnnystarship
on 4/21/12 12:25 am
RNY on 04/17/12
 ​I've been really hoping I could find a safe place on the Internet to give and get help and support for people who have made this wonderful choice to improve the quality of their lives. I've browsed some of the posts on here and it seems there are a lot of good people on here. Thank you.

​It isn't me, the writer, who has undergone this operation. It was my wife. She had been trying to convince me and every one in our family for years about how this operation would give her everything she would need to become happy and healthy. She would cry because she can't put on a seatbelt or lean forward to roll down a car window. She can't run or keep up with children or her dogs that she loves so much. She would tell me when she lays on her back it feels like someone was laying on top of her. But it was only because of her size. There have been so many instances when she would stop and tear up because she couldn't do anything due to her weight restricting her movements. She has no confidence to get a job or go back to school.

​I'm sure a lot of you have your own versions of this story. Everyone here has similar reasons and one ultimate goal in common. You all want to be healthy and happy. This surgery is a tool to help you live to your fullest. Live for the journey. 

​she had her surgery on 4/17/12. She weighed 403 going in. We were in the hospital for 3 nights and 4 days. Her pouch was a little more sore than usual but she was able to pass gas and keep down clear liquids. The nurses were very helpful. She was happy and in great spirits when we were able to finally head home. 

WoolyBully
on 4/22/12 2:34 am, edited 4/22/12 2:35 am - MI
 Hi Johnny,

Welcome to the board,

I believe you wife is in for a live changing transformation if she works this new tool. 14 months ago I weighed 480 lbs, today I weigh 259 lbs, 221 lbs lost in a little over a year. I feel great, my last physical was fantastic, I am off blood pressure medication and diabetes medication, and the only thing I take now is vitamins. I can walk and climb stairs and did I mention that if feel great.

I didn't say all this to be making this about me, but to show your wife that there are successes out there. As a mater of fact, statistically, the majority of the surgeries are successes. Less than a week post-op she is probably still feeling crappy, and my be thinking WTH have I done to myself. Tell here to stay strong, and very shortly she will be saying, why didn't I do this sooner.

I do have a couple of suggestions from an RNY veteran if you don't mind.

There is another board on here that I believe would be great for her (or you if she does not want to post), and that is the Body Mass Index over 50 Forum. It is a great group, mostly women, and all very supportive and helpfull. You could just x-post your post to that board.

The other suggestion is for her to be very strict with herself with regards to following the program given by her doctor and nutritionist. The next 3 to 6 months are the honeymoon period, where the surgery is most effective, she will want to take full advantage. Also, it is important to change bad habits and food choices into good ones.

Sorry to be long winded, but I hope this help. Please feel free to PM through this site if you have any question.

Best of luck to your wife and you. Stick with the program, and you will both be amazed at the change in you lives.

Gary

justjudy
on 5/2/12 9:36 am - Canton, MI
Let us know how you and your wife are doing.  Both of you will be going through lots of changes and it can be tough.  Let us know how we can help.

Judy

marymazilla
on 5/3/12 1:03 pm - GARDEN CITY, MI
You just give that big Loser Girl of yours a giant hug and welcome her to the bench with the rest of us losers. Make sure she is walking and sipping for the next few weeks. So she don't get Blood clots or dehydrate. And you are a very special hubby to be checking out this site and getting information for her. You get a humongus AT TA BOY! award cause your are truely her angel!

What is her name and tell her to come and ask us questions anytime but remember the numeral uno rule is DR's orders first!!!!!!!!!!!

"When we stop running away from the situation that is scary - that is the moment we discover how strong we really are. So, acknowledge your strength...rejoice in it...and start breathing in life, as the beautiful, strong soul (being) that you truly are." - Rachna Sirtaj.......Love & Peace

Most Active
Recent Topics