A WOW at almost 5 years out

Darla S.
on 1/26/12 11:28 pm - Maple Grove, MN
I'll be 5 years out this April, and it's been a crazy ride.

I started at damn near 400#, and lost 150 in my first year.  My lowest post-op weight has been 209, I gained back up to 231, and am currently at 223.  I know some people START WLS at my current weight, but I'm a big girl - 5'11".  My ultimate goal is to get below 200.  Even if it's not a realistic goal for me to maintain a weight below 200, I just want to experience it.

I've had some of the best times with my WLS family.  I've made, and lost, some amazing friends.  I have a core group that I would just die without.  I've also had some incredible struggles since losing the weight, most of them unrelated to my WLS (husband's unemployment going on 3 years, working 2 jobs plus trying to help him get his own business off the ground, a teenage daughter who is MO and making a lot of life choices I can't make sense of....).

I have recently come to recognize that I had begun feeling life was a whole lot of negative, with hardly anything to make me smile anymore.  And I decided I didn't want to live like that, so I talked to my OB.  After discussing my feelings and taking some blood, it turns out that in addition to being depressed, I'm perimenopausal - which took my depression to new depths.  I have really never been a depressed person before - even though I really didn't want to, I started on Zoloft, as well as an estrogen replacement.  I'm already feeling better knowing that I'm not just crying in my cornflakes, but DOING something - not accepting the horrible way I've been feeling as my fate.

Then last night, I had a little "wow" moment at my hobby job - an old neighbor I haven't seen in about 5 or 6 years came into the store.  As he walked up to me, he had that 'deer in the headlights' look on his face.  When he realized it was, in fact, me?  He LITERALLY shook his head like he couldn't believe what he saw!  We had a very nice chat - he didn't say anything about my weight loss, but the smile on his face made it quite clear that he liked what he saw  (in a happy, friendly way - not lewd).

It's been a while since I had an honest-to-God "WOW" moment, and I'm not gonna lie - it felt
GOOD.

Imperfect does not = unsuccessful

Yelena K.
on 1/27/12 12:54 am - Plymouth, MN
 That's just awesome!! :) 

2019: 11 years out and maintaining a loss of 150lbs.

Follow me:

www.morethanmyweight.com

www.facebook.com/morethanmyweight

www.youtube.com/morethanmyweight

nicole W.
on 1/27/12 2:10 am - Bismarck, ND
Good for you! What a great reminder that even long term there are exciting wow moments and what incentive to keep working the tool.
 2007_0529WEIGHTLOSS0114 by you. 2007_0529WEIGHTLOSS0117 by you. Sparkles by you. 
DragonGirl
on 1/27/12 4:47 am - MN
Congrats Darla! It's amazing what these surgeries do for us! I had a similar medical moment this fall when I finally took action to treat my ADHD. I always managed it ok...or at least I thought I was, but this summer I finally got tired of being nearly debilitated by it. What a difference a med can make! I wish you tons of luck and more joyful NSV's!

Heidi
  Age 49 Height 5'5" HW/280 SW/250 CW/157  
Behind every success is effort...Behind every effort is passion...Behind every passion is someone with the courage to try.
rjsams
on 1/30/12 12:16 am - Eagan, MN
Good for you, Darla, in all ways!  You are taking care of yourself, and it shows!  Your neighbor's reaction proves it.  WOW!

I had a little wow moment this weekend.  My son has a friend who moved away to Utah right about the time I had my surgery (18 mos ago).  He has come back, and came to knock on our door Saturday.  He looked at me funny when I answered it and asked "Does Ben still live here?" and I said yes and invited him in. After he spent a few minutes talking to my son in his bedroom he came out and told me he thought at first maybe I was Ben's sister--he didn't realize who I was at all!  Kinda fun.

ConEB
on 2/2/12 6:20 am - Minnetonka, MN
Hey Darla!
  I haven't read the boards for months, but when I saw your post today, I wanted to say HI!!!
I'm 5 1/2 years out. I lost about 100 and gained back 20.  I had a total right knee replacement 4 weeks ago.  Old softball injury/overuse.  Since the surgery I've lost 14 pounds.  No appetite, no ambition to do anything.  Fortunately I'm going back to work (hopefully) next week. 

Glad to see you're doing ok and wishing the best for your family!

Darla S.
on 2/3/12 5:23 am - Maple Grove, MN
CONNIE!!!

Haven't seen you in years - way to go on the post-surgery weight loss... and with a new bionic knee, no less!? 

I don't think I've been to PNC support group since I started my hobby job last summer, but I keep telling myself to go back.  I often feel like I really don't learn anything new, but I have to remember where I came from, and how I felt inspired and hopeful because of people further out than myself ~

You take care, maybe I'll see you there again someday?

Mary M.
on 2/3/12 3:35 am - Minneapolis, MN
Darla, Darla, DARLA!!!  you continue to inspire, with your honesty, caring and "get real" personality!  I just love that about you.
  I haven't been on these boards in ages and was just checking in when I saw your post and had to come out of lurkdom to say good going!  Sounds like you are taking care of business and will reap the rewards of it!

As for the WOW moment, just WOW - - good for you!   I love seeing people react.  I never have gotten clost to my goal, but the hundred pounds lost and maintened (at times by the skin of my teeth) have made a world of difference for me, too.

Keep 'er going - good times ahead and now!
Love ya, woman.  Mary
Mary

"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you CAN do."  John Wooden

I'm down 120 pounds - thanks to RNY!  Working on the next 25.  Then I'll tackle more...
Darla S.
on 2/3/12 5:28 am - Maple Grove, MN
Thank you, dear Mary - I love you and your zest for life as well!  Someday I may have to haul my arse to a coffee on that end of town, eh?  Re-connect with you eastern nuts!

As for not getting close to your goal?   Never think it can't happen.  Never tell yourself you're done.  This is a life long commitment we've all made ~

Give my best to Michael, I pray he continues to mend. 

Julie L.
on 2/5/12 10:02 am - Stillwater, MN
God bless you Darla and the best to you and your family.  We need to remember that we represent more than what is on the scale.....however, we struggle with the weight and life balance.  I know you will do your best each day. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1430 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1174 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2644 views
10+ years out -
Darla S. · 2 replies · 2721 views