***** Cana

Darla S.
on 4/3/12 11:45 pm, edited 4/3/12 11:45 pm - Maple Grove, MN
A few people have asked me about my trip to the Dominican Republic. I posted this on FB, thought I'd share it here...

Had a fantastico week in the Dominican. Snorkeled, rode horsies on the beach, but most of all, enjoyed the beautiful people at ***** Cana Princess. Seriously? I love them all!

I wondered if they actually remembered me or were just crazy welcoming and affectionate to everyone? I got my answer on Monday. Eduardo, who was on the Animation team last year, was no longer there. I was sad, but that's to be expected. Monday, Bailey and I took a bus to our Snorkeling excursion. While waiting for our boat to load, I heard someone say - 'Hey, I know you!' I looked around, but there were quite a few people, so I didn't think much of it, until I saw someone waving his arms toward me saying '***** Cana Princess!' So I looked closer - IT WAS EDUARDO!!! He gave me the BEST hug, and we talked like long lost friends! He is now a leader for the snorkeling excursion we went on - WHAT A WONDERFUL, SMALL WORLD! And I knew then that the others - Jose, Luis, Michelle, Beatriz, Kenia, Nelson, Emilio... truly DID remember me! Talk about your warm fuzzies :)

We went horseback riding on the beach, so I got to cross that off my bucket list - running along the turquoise water, under the palm trees? Yup. Awesome. Until after we took a little break from riding, got back on and were heading back out - my horse ('Big Monkey') side swiped Bailey's horse, and poor Bailey ended up falling off. I watched the whole thing, like it was in slow-motion. (In Maykol's word, 'catastrophico!') But everyone there was so kind, strangers on the beach helping, comforting... and our guide, Phillipe, offered to drive us to the hospital. Ultimately, although a bit sore and bruised, I think her ego took the worst hit. A kind American woman at our resort saw her limping back in, and brought a package of Tylenol Back Pain medicine to our room. Bailey was dancing again that same night at the disco. I think we went to the disco 4 of our 7 nights there!

Our excursion to Saona? Well, it rained on the catamaran ride to the island, and again on the speed boat ride back to Bayahibe, but there was no rain while we were on the island, and we enjoyed some of the new friends we made - Carlos, Daynaria, another Eduardo... I even indulged myself with a massage on the beach! Wow, that woman found knots I didn't even know I had! (I suppose the rum helped me to relax and enjoy it, no?) OH!!! And of the dozens of Saona excursion groups from around the Dominican Republic, we ended up with the same host we had last year - Fausto 2!!!! Again, talk about a small world!!!

Bailey is now in full-blown withdrawl depression. She LOVED it! Those Dominican men have NO problem showering BBAW (big, beautiful American women) with attention, hugs, and kisses - she felt so special! Going back is #1 on her wish list now.

*Sigh*

Without my unspeakably generous, crazy, wonderful friend Barb, this trip could not have happened. It was her graduation gift to my daughter. If I live to be 100, I don't think I will ever be able to repay her kindness, or thank her enough. I love you, Lola - unconditionally.

We're back home now. Many more memories, too many to share. We have pictures uploaded on FB.

(I may have some 'splaining to do...)

Imperfect does not = unsuccessful

PMarie
on 4/6/12 3:44 pm - Bloomington, MN
 Darla, your trip sounds like a dream come true!  I'm so happy for you-- you had such a good time, and surely deserve it.  What a great friend you have to make this possible for you!

catasteams
on 4/8/12 12:24 pm - Big Lake, MN
Sounds like you had a wonderful and amazing trip. I am a little bit jealous, but so happy for you and your daughter. Wish I could do that with my daughter. Happy Easter!!

rjsams
on 4/9/12 12:04 am - Eagan, MN
That sounds like a wonderful trip!  I'm glad you had a good time.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1353 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1140 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2606 views
10+ years out -
Darla S. · 2 replies · 2692 views