How could I make this happen?

MelW1986
on 7/13/12 2:10 am - MN
RNY on 05/07/12
Where I live there are no local support groups. I have been thinking about starting my own. Does anyone know how I would go about it or if there are any state requirements to do so?

rjsams
on 7/13/12 11:00 am - Eagan, MN
Why not do like we do with the South of the River coffee group?  No rules, no requirements, just a group of people who get together for coffee on Saturday mornings (or whenever you decide to meet.)

Pick a place that doesn't mind if you hang out for awhile, and preferably doesn't serve really bad-for-you food.  Panera doesn't quite fit that bill, we tend to avoid the food but they have a large enough place for us to meet and chat for awhile.  We hang out for an hour and a half or so, whatever people have time for.  We talk about our triumphs and troubles, give hints and advice, and also plan other fun stuff.  It's just a great group of people who have become a surrogate family!

MelW1986
on 7/13/12 11:38 am - MN
RNY on 05/07/12
I am looking more to start an actual support group. Where people who have had WLS or are interested in having it can gather and talk about it, rant, cry, whatever they need to do. I am thinking about talking to my therapist about how to start one.

rjsams
on 7/14/12 3:06 am - Eagan, MN
That is exactly what we do and are in the South of the River group.  A support group is just that--support from other people who are going through what you are going through.  Just pick a place and time and let people know--I'm sure your surgeon's office would be willing to let you post a note about it, and also use OH to publicize it.  Meet-up is another good place to publicize it. 

Paul H.
on 7/13/12 2:51 pm - Eagan, MN
Where are you at? In the metro area, each hospital that does weight loss surgery also has support meetings. I know that there is even one up in Cambridge, and I think there is one in Moorheadand I am sure there are more.
    55# Lost pre Surgery on 2/15/10, 100+ #  lost post surgery

MelW1986
on 7/13/12 3:31 pm - MN
RNY on 05/07/12
I am in Pine City. About 30 minutes or more north of Cambridge which is the nearest support group

Paul H.
on 7/14/12 3:52 pm - Eagan, MN
 Contact Diamondgirl. I think she is active on this board. She knows when the Cambridge group meets.
    55# Lost pre Surgery on 2/15/10, 100+ #  lost post surgery

Czak2011
on 7/15/12 5:55 am
 I would be interested in joining one too. I'm in Mpls but all I hear sbout is this one south of the river.  Is there any others?
Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1501 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1185 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2658 views
10+ years out -
Darla S. · 2 replies · 2729 views