New, yet not....I guess back again would be more appropriate...

RobynT
on 8/9/11 12:42 am - Saint Louis, MO
Hello again, friends. 

Its been a while, and I am noticing such a lull in traffic on this board.  What has happened?  I have been back and forth on this topic so many times, I have tried so hard to lose the weight on my own.  So many people keep saying that I can do this on my own, that I don't need surgical help.  But lets face it, I need SOMETHING, because the basic trying is just not getting the job done.  Not if I am still hovering around 335, with a BMI of 52.   I have no other medical issues at this point, but at 37 I know its just a matter of time.  
So, in my research, I have looked at the Band, and the RnY.  Honestly, I don't see the Band doing the job either.  I need some drastic measures.  
Let me explain my habits.  I drive a  school bus for a living.  Therefore, I am up at the crack of dawn, sometimes its not even cracking yet!  I run from 6-930am.  Usually "needing" a 44 oz drink of the caffienated variety during that time.  Dr Pepper is my weapon of choice.  Now, granted, I fill the entire cup with ice to the top before adding the soda, so I am by no means getting 44 oz.  But, its a habit.  I go home at 930 and sometimes I have a bowl of cereal, sometimes a handful of chips or something instead.  Not the healthiest way to go.  Then I return to work for a midday run, about 1130-115.  I have about 30 minutes from the end of that one to the start of the PM runs.  So that means another quick stop at a station for another soda, and something quick.  I get done working at 430, then I have to come home, and find something to throw together for dinner.  This is usually something grilled, chicken, hamburgers, pork tenderloin...
I don't know really where I am going wrong, other than the obvious soda intake.
Any ideas on how to help myself??  Or should I just call the insurance company, and see if this is covered??

Robyn......School Bus Driver, and mom to 9 year old twin daughters....
CW 335 - tired of fighting the yo-yo dieting.  Need a plan of attack!!!  :)
adamsamah
on 8/9/11 6:15 am - Nixa, MO
My personal opinion is to find out what your insurance will pay for. I'd want to be around for those beautiful daughters' weddings and grandchildren and let's be honest, at your weight you are playing with fire. That said, it sounds to me as if you know that your eating habits are not good. I've read that there is a direct correlation between soda comsumption and weight problems, even diet soda. I don't know what the connection is but I believe it. Soda is like a drug and it usually doesn't come without some good old carbs to go with it. I expect you feel as if you have to have snacks and sweets in the house for the girls but honestly, they and you will be better without another chip, soda or cookie in your lives. If you can get the surgery, your eating restrictions will become their restrictions and that's a good thing. Good healthy lean meats supplemented with leafy green veggies and fruit and lots of WATER or crystal lite will make you thinner and the kids healthier. They are still young enough to modify their lives so they don't follow in our footsteps. If surgery proves to be a no-go for you you may have to start modifying your daily "meals" and taking healthy things with you on your routes. Good luck and keep posting. We want to help you.
Lana

Adamsamah, Lana
"WLS is about making better choices, a healthier lifestyle and seeing how little you can eat.  Portion control is the key to all weight loss surgeries.  Bottom line - it isn't how much you can eat - it is how little you can eat."

adamsamah
on 8/9/11 6:17 am - Nixa, MO
Robyn,
I forgot to tell you to write down everything that you eat or drink for a whole week and I'll bet you'll find out exactly where you are going wrong. It's those "nibbles" of this-and-that that keep us overweight. When we write it down we become accountable.
Hugs,
Lana

Adamsamah, Lana
"WLS is about making better choices, a healthier lifestyle and seeing how little you can eat.  Portion control is the key to all weight loss surgeries.  Bottom line - it isn't how much you can eat - it is how little you can eat."

RobynT
on 8/9/11 7:08 am - Saint Louis, MO
Thank you for such a great reply!  I honestly do think that things are going to go downhill rather quickly once they start.  And I do owe it to my kids to be around for them.  I am going to take your advice and start keeping track of every single thing.  I have gone off the soda before, I went to all water once or twice with green tea pills to take the edge off the caffiene withdrawals.  So I know I can do it.  :)  I just have to fight the urge to "grab a drink"
JB1114
on 8/9/11 7:35 am, edited 8/9/11 7:36 am - Grain Valley, MO
My insurance doesn't pay for WLS unless you have some of the co-morbidities like diabetes, hypertension, acid reflux, etc.  A friend of mine wanted to have it but she has no health problems so they won't pay. 

Do get rid of the Dr. Pepper.  I'm "assuming" it not sugar free.  Whether it is SF or not, it's not something you should be consuming.  I heard a few days ago that people who drink diet carbonated beverages has waistlines 5 times greater than those that do not drink them.  I was drinking 1 can a day and gave that up before surgery.

Plan ahead.  You could make a smoothie to take with you.  Get yourself an insulated lunch bag.  Take string cheese, yogurt (not the high sugar kind).  I prefer Greek yogurt, plain, and add some Splenda.  McDonalds' has oatmeal that's supposed to be pretty good.  Try some protein bars bu****ch the sugar content.  I like the Atkins bars.  They are low carb.  Get some low fat deli meat.  Spread some light cream cheese over the meat and roll up.  You don't need bread.

You can get salads at many fast food places and maybe even Quik Trip.  As someone suggested, track your food.  Go to Spark.com, a great website for weight loss info. 

Good luck!!

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

RobynT
on 8/11/11 1:26 pm - Saint Louis, MO
Hey Jo! 
Thanks for the reply.  I know that getting rid of that soda will work wonders.  Not fast enough to please me, but it does work.  I just have to stick to it.  And in my line of work, sometimes its tough.  I dont like the diet soda, so thats not a problem.  I am a very VERY picky eater, which has always been a bad thing for me.  I have a texture issue, so salad is firmly out of the question......
I am going to get back in a routine when school starts, and stick to it.  No more excuses. 
hazmat11
on 8/10/11 10:27 pm
I did the school bus thing for 13 years. You do not burn calories driving. You need to get moving. Opening the bus door doesn't count as exercise.  I had steadily gained over the years only to do some crash diet and regain it all plus some. Sodas diet or not are bad for weight. For me Rny was my only hope. I have to say it was a lifesaver for me. Eventually the weight will cause health issues.
Try just drinking water and see if that makes a difference. Its easier than changing everything at one time. Have your blood tested (a1c) and blood pressure. You be showing problems you are not aware of that could qualify you for surgery.
Hang in there and good luck. 
Susie

RobynT
on 8/11/11 1:23 pm - Saint Louis, MO
Thanks Susie, I have tried the water, I can last so long before I can't stand it anymore.  And something that is odd, I always feel like I have acid reflux when I drink a lot of water.  Is that common???
I love my soda, and I know its BAD BAD BAD for me.  I have been trying to plot my new course for this year, and put myself somewhere I can walk during my short layovers.  Its not going to be a long time, maybe 10-15 minutes a pop, but that, three times a morning, will add up.  I can't walk fast, I have a bum knee right now, but any walking is better than sitting in my bus reading......
I do not have high blood pressure, ever.  I always thought I should, but even pregnant with twins, walking 1/2 mile from the parking lot to the doc office, its never even gone up at all.....lol.  Im a freak of nature around there, because no matter what, it never seems to move.......
I have been tested for thyroid, and other things, and nothing ever shows up.  I am so confused.....but willing to try anything.  So, back to the water I go
hazmat11
on 8/11/11 11:55 pm
 Yes water did that to me, acid reflux was one of the reasons I qualified for surgery, a bad knee can do it too. Most insurance doesn't require comorbities if your bmi is above 40. It was the best thing I ever did for myself and I wish I had done it years earlier. You never know what they will say untill you ask.

Keep sipping water and try green tea.
Susie

Most Active
Recent Topics