Dayton - Dr. Anderson support group closed

patrickh
on 4/14/11 11:19 am - Dayton, OH
Dont know the details but Dr. Anderson's group has been shut down.

Some of us met at Panera and exhanged info and hope to keep meeting in the future.

Patrick 

Highest 406 / Surgery 391 / Lowest 196 / Current 219

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/15/11 11:01 am - OH
Wish I had known you guys were going to Panera....  sorry I missed it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

patrickh
on 4/15/11 1:25 pm - Dayton, OH
 I called Tony and he said he heard some people were going to Panera.   If I didnt have his number I wouldnt have heard anything.

P.

(deactivated member)
on 4/16/11 2:58 am - South Point, OH
Wow is this Shed and Share or the group through her office?
patrickh
on 4/16/11 11:56 pm - Dayton, OH
FYI all of this is rumor - I've not talked officially to anyone at Dr. Anderson's office. 

Her group office - the Shed and Share run by the hospital on Whip is still going as far as I know.  The next meeting per the website is Monday on psychological hunger.  I plan to attend.

Patrick

(deactivated member)
on 4/20/11 10:18 am
This is how it was relayed to me.  Dr. Anderson is now under the Kettering umbrella.  She is no longer under a private practice (South Dayton Surgeons/ New Life Surgery Center)

The New Life Surgery Center website was taken down (not sure if it will come back up)

But... Kettering stepped in and said that since she is now under their regime she is no longer to have private support groups and that the meetings are to be only held at the weight loss place.
Some patients said that they'd continue the meetings off site but Dr. A's staff were told they could not attend... I'm sure conflict of interest.

I pretty much stopped going to the kettering ones when they changed the program.  I enjoyed them when they were at Sycamore and it was only Kettering and Sycamore.   When Grandview's patients started showing up it kinda got a little wonky...

When it went to the private place over on Whipp it REALLY lost it's flair.  It went from basically patient driven with a mediator, to someone looking over a clipboard trying to keep a schedule.   I don't roll like that.  I spent more time answering questions via email and face to face AFTER the meeting than I did during the meeting.  Those meetings should be patient driven and it should be no holds barred with questions.  I also felt some of the information given to patients was too "textbook" which I'm sorry we all don't work off the same text book.

I'd still be going but with school and work I'm killing myself trying to find time :(  

So there's my 2 cents.  I'm really going to miss shed and share... we were family.

I really hope the Troy ladies didn't drive down only to find no one there.  I'd have been pissed.

Sorry I didn't relay the message... I really assumed this was common knowledge.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/20/11 1:28 pm - OH
Dr. Rita's office really should have made some attempt to contact the people who usually attended to let them know that the group had been disbanded...

I think the Kettering folks are REALLY missing the boat on their "support" group.  It's not a support group, it's a topical information session (lecture) and that's it.  Perhaps useful tor pre-ops and immediate post-ops, but pretty useless for anyone else...

Disappointing.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

codlover
on 4/21/11 12:11 pm - Celina, OH
There is a support group meeting at Miami Valley the second Tuesday of the month @ 6:30. It is open to everyone. There is a main topic and then we break into groups according to surgery type for disussion.
It does not make any difference who does your surgery..... If you are happy with your choice. We are all on the same road and should support each other every way we can. 
Jim from Celina   328 Pounds...GONE !!!!!      
patrickh
on 4/22/11 1:15 am - Dayton, OH
I also saw they have saturday groups - have you been to them?

codlover
on 4/22/11 9:13 am - Celina, OH
I live about 75 miles from Dayton and the Tuesday night works for me. I have not been to a Saturday meeting. I assume it is much the same as the Tuesday meeting. 
If gas keeps going up, I may have to sell my first born for money to get to the meetings in the future.
Jim from Celina   328 Pounds...GONE !!!!!      
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello Ohio!
ShanaC · 1 replies · 1113 views
Akron/Cleveland Folk
Daniel B. · 0 replies · 1491 views
Fresh Start Bariatric
Sassylike · 1 replies · 2374 views
Looking for Dr.
Beantowngal2 · 0 replies · 2276 views