Finally back been a long, long while!

psj7171
on 5/28/11 3:28 am
So long, in fact, I forgot my old user name :)  Well, I shall start with my story again.  I had Realize Band surgery with Dr. Gornichec on July 7, 2009.  I started at 280 and the day of surgery i was at 248.  I lost down to 215 and now I have a new baby boy born on February 8th, 2011. 

During my pregnancy I gained 39 pounds, (Dr. G. drained my band completely) and I lost all but 9 pounds in the few weeks after he was born.  But, now I have gained back almost 30 pounds back :(  I did the same thing when nursing my first baby.  Now, here's my dilemma, my company went through a merger late last year and we now have new insurance and it covers NOTHING dealing with bariatric surgery at all and now I can't afford to pay out of pocket for the fills.  :( I have learned a valuable lesson through my almost 2 years of being banded and that is.  In the beginning I wanted to have the sleeve surgery, but my insurance at the time didn't cover that, so I opted for the band.  What I truly didn't realize is.....no matter what other surgery I chose, I truly had to have my mind ready, because by not having the mind in the right frame I was setting myself up for a failure.  Which I already know I have failed the band.  The band did not fail me.  If I had have opted for any of the other surgeries, I might have lost weight quickly, but if I didn't constantly stay on track with charting what I ate, exercised and reprogrammed my mind, I would have falied at that, too. 

Anyway, I am going to try to find a way to get my band "cinched" up again and get back on this board, because all of you have been so inspiring and encouraging and it just helps to have fellow people who know what it is like with this battle.  Sorry it was so long and rambling.  :O)

Paulette
Happycat
on 5/30/11 4:46 am - Midwest City, OK
First, congratulations on your new baby! 

You have the tool to use to lose weight.  Get a fill from which ever doc you choose then use your tool again.  You rmight price fills at each of the local bariatric surgeon's offices. ( I had the sleeve so I have no diea of the cost involved.)  Go back to basics.  Protein first, no drinking for 1 hour after eating (or whatever Gornichec said.)  Get yourself to some support meetings.  I don't know when Gornichec does his.  WeightWise in Edmond has meetings each Thursday night at 6 (pretty sure this is still true.)  You can go to their website to verify.  Attending support groups is essential at this point.  You you need to hear from others in the same boat and at various points in the process.

You are so right that you have to have your head in the right place to make the tool work.  I let 8 punds slip up on me the last 6 weeks or so.  I wasn't weighing regularly enough to catch it earlier.  I am back to basics now.  Carbs are evil and I have to avoid them s much as possible.  I know that is what it takes for me.

I will try to remember to come back every so often so post if you have questions.

Denise

I have maintained for one year at this point.  I am steady at -120 pounds.  =)
40 pounds lost pre-op    
Most Active
Recent Topics