New kid....

jenneebee
on 8/7/11 6:25 am - OK
 Hi Everyone,

I have been struggling with the decision to have WLS for several years now, and finally am taking the plunge.

I am a veteran to surgery, so I am not worried about the operation itself. I am more worried about losing the required amount of weight FIRST. 

I have some concern about having to come off my RA meds prior to the surgery, as well. If you have RA, you know how scary that thought can be.

But, for the most part- I am thankful that the finances are working out and that I am able to make the decision and move forward. I chose the Gastric Sleeve, due to having RA and will need to be on NSAIDS for the rest of my life.  

My first appointment is Aug. 18th, and I am looking forward to getting started! So, I'd like to meet and chat with people who are also going through the process or have been through it! 

Thanks, all and I hope you all have a GREAT day!

Brittany E.
on 8/7/11 7:58 am - Norman, OK
Good luck! You'll love WeightWise and congrats on your surgery!
HW: 325-SW weight: 305     
dennisr19590
on 8/7/11 8:00 am - Coleman, OK
Hi my name is Dennis I had RNY on 8-2 with Dr Nelson. I'm not much help on the RA. I would say WLS is not like any other surgery. Most surgery's are done so you can continue life as you know it. WLS is a tool to change your way of life the surgery is just one step in a long process. Like I said I'm a beginner. My Dr said I had to lose 40 lbs Pre op. My first visit was 3-28 my weight was442 lbs my last dietitian appointment was 6-30 and I had reached my pre op goal my surgery date was set for 8-2 by 8-2 I had lost 12 more lbs. Do your research decide what you want and go for it with gusto.  Be honest with you Dr and be honest with your self and you will do great. GOOD LUCK
Dot T.
on 8/8/11 10:02 am - Bartlesville, OK
Welcome to the OK board!  I want to say that I agree with all of the above.  WLS is life-long and if you don't follow the rules, it is possible to fail and gain weight even with the tool you are given.

I myself started getting back into some of my bad habits and found my scale going the wrong direction.  After a weight gain of 20 lbs, I went back to Dr. B last week and I'm trying to get back on track!

It is a big decision.  Do all the research you can and know full well what you are getting into before you do it.

I don't regret my decision at all!

Dot
motomom_73069
on 8/11/11 7:32 am - Norman, OK
Welcome to the OK board...we'll be here for you every step of the way:)
"It doesn't matter how strong your opinions are, if you don't use them for positive change, you ARE, indeed, part of the problem"

Most Active
Recent Topics