STATE EMPLOYEE INSURANCE

LuanneP
on 10/9/11 10:10 am - Oklahoma City, OK
Hi Everyone , I have a question for my state employee people, my sister in law is in desperate need of bypass surgery for severe reflux,,,,she works for the State and has United Healthcare HMO of course they do not cover,  anyone have any ideas about the other plans they offer, do any cover bariactrics? thank you , Luanne
Brittany E.
on 10/9/11 12:34 pm - Norman, OK
I have state BCBS HMO and VSG is NOT covered under any of their plans but the RNY and the Band are covered
HW: 325-SW weight: 305     
Happycat
on 10/10/11 7:21 am - Midwest City, OK
The state insurance does not cover anything related to the treatment of obesity- ever.  I even presented to the insurance board, with piles and piles of research supporting the surgeries, all to no avail. I pointed out that they were indeed paying for obesity related problems- BP, stroke, diabetes, joint replacememts, etc so why not pay for the treatment and avoid the complications of obesity.  I was a self pay.

I have no idea what they would do if the surgery was for reflux.  I doubt they would cover it for that either.  I had been on treatment for GERD for years and it made no difference.

State has their heads up their rear ends in my opinion.

I have maintained for one year at this point.  I am steady at -120 pounds.  =)
40 pounds lost pre-op    
adnerb
on 10/17/11 3:55 am
It is sad, but true...no coverage for wls of any kind with Oklahoma Employee's health insurance. I inquired at one time as to why the client's they serve that receive medicaid are covered as medically necessary and yet the employees do not get the same benefit. I was told that to add wls on to the coverage was to expensive and the state of ok board that decides of employee's health coverage elected to not include in benefits....So basically they know it is needed and necessary..they choose not to allow it! So, unless they get the clue and change their coverage...Best wishes with your sister getting the help she needs!
Most Active
Recent Topics