Soonercare and WLS?

just2fat
on 8/16/12 9:12 pm
I am new to the forums and new to the WLS world.  I have been overweight since I was about 9 and have never been able to keep off the extra pounds.  Now, here I am, morbidly obese with 2 small children and I just want to be able to play with them.

I am an unemployed college student, and single.  I currently have Soonercare for health insurance as I cannot afford anything else.  I am hoping I will still be a candidate, but I have heard it is extremely difficult to get WLS on Soonercare.  

Has anyone had experience with Soonercare approving WLS?  Do you mind sharing your story?
Patiurple
on 8/17/12 6:20 am - Wheatland, OK
I never had soonercare but helped a lot of people who tried using it.
GOOD LUCK! I dont know if they would help you now but a few years ago the answer was you must go on a supervised(doctor that is) weight loss program. You must be super morbib obesed with a lot of co  mobilities. Just being overweight wont get u there.
Then the hard part..seriously...finding a surgeon who will accept it. Soonercare/medicaid pays a portion of what a surgeon charges so their are not a lot of them that will take it. Then the surgeon has to the crediteintials of being a Center of Excellance...
The last person I helped went through a one year weight lost program and lost enough weight she didnt qualify for surgery. Again thats what sooner wants is for you to lose without the cost of surgery.
Personally if you go on a supervised plan and really stick to it u can lose weight. Surgery is just a tool a tool that if you dont stick to the program u will gain weight back. I know I didnt stick to it and have gained it back and like everyone else I am back to counting calories and protein.
Good luck
being healthy has its rewards....take the challenge and just do it
sherrie T.
on 8/20/12 1:28 pm - CLAREMORE, OK
Surgical Associates in tulsa does accept soonercare, but you have a long road ahead of you with your primary care doctor first. I am too trying to get wls through soonercare. I want to wish you luck!
karibari84
on 2/12/13 10:54 am

Sherrie T,  how is it going for you.  I just go approved for sooner are and I have no idea where to even start?  any suggestions?

Most Active
Recent Topics