Angry pouch

slim115
on 3/29/12 10:27 pm - peterborough, Canada
 Day 5 postop and my pouch is angry at me....starting after lunch got nausea, flush,chest pain and cramping....it passed after couple hours but started right up again when I ate supper.....any thoughts as to why my pouch no like me yesterday?

spence

Opti Weight-386lbs.............Surgery Weight- 355 lbs...........Goal Weight- 200lbs        
hobbithands
on 3/29/12 10:45 pm - Brussels, Canada
RNY on 05/30/12
 What did you eat, how quickly or slowly did you eat it?

Catw
on 3/29/12 10:46 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Hi Spence,

What did you have to eat at lunch and supper?  I find I can get like that when I have certain foods.   This is when your pouch tries to teach you what it will tolerate and not tolerate.  It's a long process of learning.  What you ate may be higher in sugar or fat than it's ready to tolerate.

Good Luck,
Cathy

slim115
on 3/29/12 10:53 pm - peterborough, Canada
 Both times was soup....low fat organic mush and tomatoe soup made with skin milk....could it the sugar in the soup????
having shakes with yogurt banana and skim milk and no carb/sugar protein powder....

Spence
Opti Weight-386lbs.............Surgery Weight- 355 lbs...........Goal Weight- 200lbs        
HaroldC
on 3/29/12 11:13 pm - Canada
I agree with all others who posted ahead of me. Just want to add that the toughest part is remembering to eat and drink really slowly. It is hard when others are around because you get distracted. I suggest keeping a stop watch on the table for the first 4 weeks to help you slow down.

Good luck!
Harold

SW 291  GW 199.9 CW 180 Surgery: TWH Dr. Penner Dec 20 2011
Celebrating life and opportunities for new beginings!!!

Catw
on 3/29/12 11:40 pm - Arnprior, Canada
It could be the soup, even with skim milk, there will be fat, and it could be higher in sugar.  You'd have to check the label.

Cathy
(deactivated member)
on 3/29/12 11:49 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
You could also be lactose intolerant.  Many become that way after surgery.  Perhaps try some stuff that are not milk products and see how you feel.
Joyce J.
on 3/29/12 11:51 pm - Scarborough, Canada
Hi Spence

Of course things have changed since I had my surgery 6 1/2 years ago, but at that time we were told NO tomato soup as it is very high in sugar. That may have been the culprit.....

Times were so different then
I had one week of clear liquids, two weeks of full fluids, one week of pureed, one week of soft food and then regular food. LOL

Today is another day ,
Take care

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

Susan B.
on 3/30/12 12:02 am - Canada
RNY on 02/17/12
I was going to echo what Joyce said-at TWH there was no tomato early on.  As well I am 6 weeks out and I still get the same symptoms is I eat too fast.  That is the part I am finding the most difficult at this point.  I have to be very mindful when I eat otherwise 50 years of bad habits of eatting too quickly come back to haunt me.

This can happen with anything.  I had 2 tablespoons of hummus when I was on the puree part and ate them too fast (they just tasted soooo good!!) and within an hour I had the same symptons as you.  Last night 5 prunes and again 30 mins later I realized "oh crap I did it again:.

I am not back to watching the clock when I eat and not taking more than a spoon every 3-5 mins or so.  Its a challenge with hot food cause it is cold by the time I am half way through so I reheat in the micro.

From Orientation at TWH to Surgical date~6 months 

slim115
on 3/30/12 12:44 am - peterborough, Canada
 Thanks everyone!
Most Active
Recent Topics