Downer - setback. Running is now off my menu (Long)

Gabygee
on 4/12/12 10:55 pm - Canada
I had been so happy with my progress recently that I have been ignoring a couple of danger signals, and last night my body whacked me upside the head.

As some of you know, I took up running a little over a month ago, in supervised groups, with the Running Room. The class has just now graduated to "4 minutes running-1 minute walking", and has incorporated some hills into the route.

This has become increasingly difficult for me. Despite the fact that I was consistently the last little duckling in the group, I comforted myself with the idea that I was improving from run to run and that eventually I would be able to catch up to the others.

BUT in the meantime I have experienced
  - almost daily nosebleeds
  - almost daily headaches (mild ones)
  - a six-hour bout of complete amnesia (no names, no numbers)
  - breathlessness during the last half of the runs
and finally yesterday
  - major chest pain during the last half of the run.

The instructor stopped running and came back to join me in walking back to the shop, with his cellphone out and ready, just in case.
He was very concerned and while he said he didn't want to discourage me, he really felt I shouldn't try so hard anymore.

I had alerted my MD about the amnesia issue and am already going for CT scans of my noggin, and will now let her know about the heart pain. (I'm the one who had the mild heart attack a few years back when I was 264 lbs).

So this is a bit of a setback, but I have learned the hard way that I really need to listen to my body when it's warning me. Guess I'm not as healthy as I had hoped, even after losing so much so well.

HaroldC
on 4/12/12 10:59 pm - Canada
Gabygee - take care of yourself.

Get answers from your doctor and I am sending good healthy vibes for a speedy and easy recovery.

Good luck.
Harold

SW 291  GW 199.9 CW 180 Surgery: TWH Dr. Penner Dec 20 2011
Celebrating life and opportunities for new beginings!!!

Dianadcr
on 4/12/12 11:00 pm - Canada
Sorry to hear about your setback Gaby. I hope things will work out for you. I can imagine all the frustrations especially after all the marvelous changes you've made. Hang tight.
  Diana

Marny B.
on 4/12/12 11:06 pm - Canada
Aw, Gabby.  So sorry you are feeling this way.  It sounds a bit scary though, so I am glad that you are playing it safe and taking care of yourself.  There is a walking group at the RR too.  My friend goes, and loves it.  Maybe you could tranfer to that group if the DR. says it is okay?  I hope you feel better.  xo

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

Monica M.
on 4/12/12 11:11 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
oh Gaby... this is disapointing.

what's your blood pressure like? That amnesia is concerning... please let us know what's going on with you.

Nathalie_Can
on 4/12/12 11:13 pm
Awww Gaby...so sorry you are going through this

I'm so happy that you are now listening to your body and hope they fix you up and you can start running in the new year again.

Take care of you, we don't want to see you sick!!
Nathalie

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

hobbithands
on 4/12/12 11:14 pm - Brussels, Canada
RNY on 05/30/12
 Oh I am sorry that you are having this trouble, but I am glad you were smart enough to say ok enough. It sucks I am sure, but being here is way better than running.

350Ann180
on 4/12/12 11:39 pm - St. Williams, Canada
VSG on 05/02/12
Very brave of you Gaby.  When we have worked so hard to get somewhere and we measure ourselves bty those goals - it is extremely hard to back off - even a little.  So glad you are listening to your body (another new skill we learn) and making the necessary changes.  Before you know it you will be up and running again.

Good luck and healthy vibes coming your way!

Ann

Joyce J.
on 4/12/12 11:52 pm - Scarborough, Canada
HI Gaby

Although this is disappointing for you it is for the best. Take care of yourself.
We must always listen to our bodies
You may not be as healthy as you hoped, but you are much healthier than you were.

Keep us posted on how things go

Take care

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

birdiegirl
on 4/13/12 12:07 am

Whoa Gaby....Please ....stop running and any other form of excersise until you see your doc....

Sounds like something serious going on....please dont delay on anything and be a good advocate for yourself.....get to ER if you are experiencing chest pain or any other episodes of amnesia...( can be heart also)

Pain is trying to tell you something...so are the nosebleeds

Ya got me worried kid

Most Active
Recent Topics