Question about returning to work

hobbithands
on 5/8/12 12:01 am - Brussels, Canada
RNY on 05/30/12
 So my surgery is May30th.
I just started my new job..I got laid off 10 months ago and I couldnt turn this job down.
So I have booked off the 1st and 2nd and will have to return the 8th and 9th.
I am a bartender at the local legion, so basically there is mostly sitting but some serving of beer. But mostly sitting. I can do this right? I only work 4 hr shifts.

(deactivated member)
on 5/8/12 12:04 am - Canada
Hard to tell but if there are no complications and you're not in pain there's no reason why you cant go back to work after a week.
HaroldC
on 5/8/12 12:05 am - Canada

Sounds rather quick to go back to me.

This is major surgery.

I would wait at least 2 if not 3 weeks.

I am sure as a bartender there is some lifting of beer cases and draft barrels that you should definitely not be doing.

Just my 2 cents.
Harold

SW 291  GW 199.9 CW 180 Surgery: TWH Dr. Penner Dec 20 2011
Celebrating life and opportunities for new beginings!!!

hobbithands
on 5/8/12 12:13 am - Brussels, Canada
RNY on 05/30/12
 no lifting beer cases or draft barrels, it is a small legion, I live in a town of 780 ppl about 1/4 of that are legion members. I work the fri and sat only which are the quiet days. 
Taking more time off is not an option. I looked for a job for 10 months, the furnace went, the main water pipe burst, and I have 4 teenagers...we have no savings left and I have to keep this job.
I can do it I can!!! how did everyone else feel 10 days out?

Gabygee
on 5/8/12 12:30 am - Canada
Ten days out, I was cautiously optimistic about returning to work - mistakenly, as it turned out.

However, your short shifts may make this possible for you.
Anything lnger than 4 hours would likley be an issue.

Here's what you're going through -

1) You must drink, a little at a time, all the time.
 2) you must walk, as much as possible, gently, all the time
 3) you are tired, and weakened
 4) you need ready access to a washroom and privacy - and I mean that privacy bit. You are ... odiferous, and will make strange noises. And it's unpredictable.

Ensure all those things are available to you, and it'll probably work for you.

Monica M.
on 5/8/12 1:00 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
in my opinion, working only 4 hr shifts, if you have sympathetic co-workers, you can have food and drink there with you, should you need it, then you should be ok.

Just PLEASE make your coworkers aware of your limitations. NO LIFTING!!! Nothing strenuous. When you're not working please rest as much as you need to. I felt physically fine, a week after surgery.

I hope that things go well for you. TELL your teenagers that they are EXPECTED to do the housework and cook their own meals (note, i did not say help with housework and meals. They can do it on their own.)

sam1am
on 5/8/12 12:28 am
I went back to my office job at 7 days out working full days, without a problem.  I'm sure you'll be fine, just listen to your body and remember that your health is most important.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

350Ann180
on 5/8/12 1:10 am - St. Williams, Canada
VSG on 05/02/12
I own my own businesses.  I went to work on day 5 for 4 hours.  I have a desk job - but I also had a few issues that HAD to be dealt with.  I handled those issues and went through the mail,   I was wiped after 4 hours but felt good getting it done.  I plan to go back again on Friday - that will be 9 days out for a couple more hours.

I am lucky - alot of what I do - I can do from home with great technology (answering emails, creating documents, bookwork etc.)  I just do it when I can, rest when I can.

One thing I did notice - when I was at work - I was not drinking!  So that is something I have to work on!

Take care - don't overdue it!  You will pay later.....

Ann

Joyce J.
on 5/8/12 1:49 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi there

That should work as long as you do get lots of rest when you aren't working. Don't overdo yourself and as Monica says make your co workers aware of your limitations

Take care

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

hobbithands
on 5/8/12 5:49 am - Brussels, Canada
RNY on 05/30/12
 No co-workers, our legion is so small that on average we see about 10 ppl a nite.
But I will be careful. Thanks for all the excellent advice.

Most Active
Recent Topics