Low Fat Soup Recipes????

deew1234
on 11/3/12 7:52 am - Stratford, Canada

Hello All,

Looking for low fat soup recipes!! I am not big into cooking, but would really like to start making my own soups to save on unnecessary extra calories etc. that you get from buying store bought soups!! Are there any good sites or books out there with them??

Thank you in advance!!!

PatXYZ
on 11/3/12 8:17 am

There is a recipe forum on here you can check out, but soup may not be a great option for you. Are you having RNY? If so, soup slides right through your pouch and won't keep you full. But why are you worried about fat? Fat is your friend! It helps you feel full and satisfied and if you focus your diet on healthy fats then there is no reason to worry about the calories from it. Healthy fats like those found in nuts, avocados, fish and olive oil are really good for you and your heart health. It's the carbs you have to worry about and try to keep limited in your diet.

I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
deew1234
on 11/3/12 8:22 am - Stratford, Canada

I had the VSG and I am not worried about fat, but I really enjoy cream of potato soups etc. and just trying to find a slightly healthier version of the soups I enjoy!!

sam1am
on 11/3/12 9:24 am

I make a pot of homemade soup almost weekly but never with a recipe.  I usually start with a stock, homemade or in a tetra pack and add lots of low carb veggies like celery, spinach, broccoli and cauliflower.  Whatever I'm in the mood for.  I usually also add onions, some times garlic and whatever herbs or spices I have or am in the mood for.  Sometimes I add a can or two of diced tomatoes as well and a ton of cooked chicken shredded or chopped or some browned and crumbled hamburger or shredded or chopped beef.  Again, whatever I have on hand or am in the mood for.  I think the key is to stay away from carby veggies such as corn, potatoes and peas.  I have also just steamed up some broccoli, added a little bit of onions and or other fragrant veggies, blend and add milk to make a creamy soup.  So much soup, so little time, lol!  

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/12 9:40 am, edited 11/3/12 9:40 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

You cook like I do Sandy. I love to make soup and I also through in whatever I have, or am in the mood for. If I want a (sort of) cream soup I use stock and cook the veggies like broccoli or cauliflower.  When it is well cooked I whiz with the hand blender and and then add a little milk if I need to thin it. 

sam1am
on 11/3/12 10:07 am

Yes, it sounds like we do cook alike!  I think I worded my creamy soups badly, because it sounds like how I make them as well, right down to the hand blender.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

2mar
on 11/3/12 11:32 am
RNY on 09/20/12

I do the same but I also will add beans / chick peas / lentils etc... increase the proteins. And it also does fill more. And I will add some low fat cheese just before serving.

I also make a very nice broccoli cheese soup (broccoli + red onion) - and then add cheese. Really great and does also freeze well.

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/12 10:48 am - Straford, Canada

I love allrecipes.com, they have great ratings system and nutrients listed for each recipe.  kiss

twins4meplus1
on 11/3/12 11:37 am - St Thomas, Canada

I made Italian Wedding soup tonight with lots of tiny meatballs made of really lean ground beef. I blanch the meatballs in boiling water really quickly to take away the fat.

The soup base is chicken stock, sliced carrots and celery, frozen chopped spinach and acine de pepe pasta (very tiny round pasta).

Linda

London and Area Support Group Leader
http://www.london-wls-support-group.com/
Come join the Ontario Plastics Patients Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_Post_Plastics 
Come join the Ontario WLS Vets Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_WLS_Vets/
To get your discounted subscription to OH Magazine
Follow the link below and enter the promo code "Terrio11
http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/subscriptions.
html

OH certified WLS Support Group Leader

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/12 11:59 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

Yum, I love Italian wedding soup

Most Active
Recent Topics