Drank alcohol for first time since surgery and....

slrm2m2
on 11/14/12 12:06 pm - Canada

.....meh, it was just okay.  I didn't really like it how it made me feel physically, although I did enjoy the tipsy feeling a bit.  I don't think I'm going to repeat it.  I drank about a half of cup of beer over approximately 2 hours in very slow sips.  It did hit me and I felt intoxicated, but not intensely so.  I noticed that this small amount dehydrated me and I have felt thirsty and have been drinking more fluid today than usual.  I also oddly felt slightly hung over...after 1/2 cup fo beer.  So strange.    So, I don't really miss drinking and it was an interesting experience but I don't plan to do it regularly....possibly never even again.  I'm not missing much.

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

P_Floyd
on 11/14/12 3:23 pm - Canada

Yeah, such a light weight now. I never did like the feeling of being really drunk. I did how ever enjoy the "buzz" that comes along once you know how to pace yourself with alcohol. I can't say it's a great loss really compared to what I've gained from wls. 

Long you live and high you fly 
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry 
And all you touch and all you see 
Is all your life will ever be.

DSOTM

(deactivated member)
on 11/14/12 6:18 pm - Straford, Canada

a small glass of white wine does it for me now, a tad buzz but no ill effects and its nice to feel more "normal" when out with other folks.

4-Jane
on 11/14/12 8:50 pm - Canada

I guess that's true, I ve never been a drinker and it bugs others makes me un normal, what is normal cause at one point in our recent past smoking was normal too.  And some would say that obesity is normal in many elementary schools given the high rate of obesity with children.  I never want to confuse normal with healthy because after all McDonald's sells how many million burgers, to how many normal people.  I know it sounds like I'm half crazy but we need to be careful on line as to the words we select.  If  drinking in moderation is what feels right or good for you great but it's not normal.  Anything in moderation can be enjoyable and it nice to figure this out for yourself as I'm sure I will do as well.  Sorry for the rant, maybe not half crazy but all crazzzzzy

Respectfully Jane
HaroldC
on 11/14/12 10:57 pm - Canada

I never really drank before my surgery since I was diabetic, but now......

I am a vodka on the rocks with a splash of water type of guy and I have been enjoying a drink or two every couple of weeks for the last few months.

Hits me hard, but makes for fun times:)

SW 291  GW 199.9 CW 180 Surgery: TWH Dr. Penner Dec 20 2011
Celebrating life and opportunities for new beginings!!!

kellybelly333
on 11/14/12 11:29 pm - Toronto, Canada

Boooze. Half a glass of wine, even sipped, can makie me tipsy.....or drunk if gulped.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Cuter_w_Curves
on 11/16/12 5:43 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

Sorry it didn't really agree with you but you know what is best for you.

I have heard many sides of the drinking thing. Those who never did before and have decided they love it (maybe a bit too much). Those who enjoy it here and there and have worked the buzz to the maximum effect. Those who have figured out how to enjoy a drink but without the whole buzz or need to push the limits. Those who tried it and didn't like it. Etc.

I don't think there is anything wrong with it one way or another.

You know... When I was younger I drank like a tank (a.k.a. Idiot going drink for drink/shot for shot with the boys). Then I grew out of it. Right around the time when I got my car. Then it became only if I wasn't driving, or no more than 1-2 in like 6 hours.

Just some helpful hints for anyone tired of those questioning why you are not drinking.

I go to certain functions and I might or might not have a drink (depends on my comfort levels and if I am driving). No one says **** PERIOD. Now... I use to get the "just one drink" stuff or "oh are you a..." though.

Do you drive a car? It is really simple... Someone offers a drink? "Sorry I drove." All of a sudden you are the best friend they never had, and to some... A hopeful ride home. Personally... I drive them. Even if I barely know them (female friends of one of my best friends that habitually get smashtastic at said events).

The other thing I will do is... Club soda in a glass like you would have a mixed drink in. Cranberry juice with a splash of srpite/7up/club soda. Never forget at bars and restaurants... Everything is sexier in a wine/martini glass... And they rarely serve mocktails in those glasses right? *eyebrow wiggle*

One I have had to give up is 55% pineapple, 15% cranberry, 15% orange, 15% sprite. It last me hours and the bubbles are gone but darned if stopping drinking them didn't take me from maintaining to losing inches. *chuckle*

I also tend to avoid letting my "drink pushy" friends know if I am not in the mood to drink. So... If you are out to a restaurant... When others are about to order drinks make for a washroom trip. Say you are not sure of your drink yet... On the way back through flag your wait staff. Place your mocktail order. Ask them to keep them coming and discreet. They will... because you'll be smart and hand them 5-10$ if it is important to you.

Heck I even have ways to make mockshots at any bar.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

Most Active
Recent Topics