A Question for the Runners

pinkjellybean
on 12/26/12 10:59 am - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12

Hey Running Folks!

I am curious to what type of running gear you all wear in this cold weather?  I got a bunch of cold weather running gear for Christmas but still managed to free my arse off today.  I was wearing a long sleeve undershirt with a fleece cold weather running zip up and then a running jacket over top to break the wind as I was running plus....a pair of winter running gloves and running pants..I used a regular winter headband to keep my ears warm and that managed to make me sweat buckets.  I was the coldest at the tip of my nose, the tips of my fingers, my lower legs, and my toes inside my running shoes.

If you can recommend some good warm weather running gear I would appreciate it! 

That said..I did post my best time ever today! Woot! 

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

highlandbear
on 12/26/12 1:12 pm - Canada

I wear long joins that are light and made for running than long pants and than splash pants I call them or wind pants. They help keep the wind from hitting the legs. I have socks that are great. They can get wet but your feet will not feel the wet. They are my life saver. I also put heat packs in my shoe since my feet get real cold when I first start out.  Than I have undershirt again made for running, long sleeve shirt and sometimes a short sleeve shirt on top of that. Than I have a light jacket tight fit and than a hockey shirt. The hockey shirt is what saves me. i wear gloves and again heat pads go into them keep hands nice and warm. I have a very light hat to run in and i have this thing that looks like a head band but it goes around my neck and covers my mouth and nose. If i get to hot I can just pull it down and have it around the neck. Just make sure what you are wearing is made for running. It will pull the moisture away from the body. Be careful I have hurt myself running in the winter and took awhile to heal.

Hope this helped

HaroldC
on 12/26/12 8:43 pm - Canada

Hi Pink - I wear basically the same layering as you and also freeze.

I find that 5 minutes in I have usually ignored the gold except for the fingers and feet.

I am considering join a gym for Jan-March so that I don't get too discourage from running...either that or I will have to pray for less wind and suck it up.

sounds like you go all the right gear:)

Harold

SW 291  GW 199.9 CW 180 Surgery: TWH Dr. Penner Dec 20 2011
Celebrating life and opportunities for new beginings!!!

Monica M.
on 12/26/12 9:26 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

i usually wear "silks" "long johns", which are a brand, i forget where i got them. They fit close to the body, i wear a tight pair of running pants over them. As for my feet, just regular socks and my regular runners, the same ones i wear in the summer.
On my head, i wear a thin cotton stretchy tube thing, that i can wear as a hat or a neck warmer. It's similar to what they wear on survivor, a "buff" i think they call it. I don't find i get cold anywhere, as long as i keep moving.

good for you for winter running! I actually like running in winter, as long as the roads/trails aren't too mucky, and the wind isn't up.

kellybelly333
on 12/26/12 10:55 pm - Toronto, Canada

This is what I wore yesterday. And I ran down by Lake Ontario in Pickering. So cold! Tank top, long sleeve running shirt. Short Sleeve shirt, Heavy spring coat...not even sure what to call it, but so far, with the layers, it does the job. Bottoms, compression running pants, and lined Puma wind=breaker pants. On my feet were my new runners. Asics. But OMG, they are breathable, so my feet were cold, as the wind hit them on top. Maybe more socks needed?? I def need something like Barb has for the face, for the beginning of the run.

It was a miserable run yesterday. A lot of the path was sheer ice! I was thinking about getting grips for my shoes. Anyone have experience with grips?

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Sirene
on 12/27/12 3:08 am - Ottawa, Canada

I wear shorts and a tank because I run in the basement on my treadmill in winter!!

Seriously though, lots of layers. Some people say natural fibers and such but the synthetic stuff made especially for winter running is awesome. You need a base layer, mid layer, and an outer layer. The base layer fits close to the skin and wicks moisture away. The mid layer is the warm one. I LOVE my Helly Hanson mid-layer! Then your outer layer needs to be windproof. On the bottom, I only wear 2 layers and I am usually cold in the thighs to start but I warm up by about 3kms. I just wear regular socks with my regular running shoes.  And always, always, always wear a hat!

My hands are always cold no matter what, so I can't help you there.

Good for you for running outdoors in Winter!!! I kinda hate outdoor winter running, but not as much as I hate treadmill running.....and not nearly as much as I absolutely detest not running at all!!!!

I can't WAIT for spring!!!

Jennifer  

Derek C.
on 12/27/12 3:46 am - North Bay , Canada

You really cannot have any cotton next to your skin - i run in reebok dry wick running pants and a new balance dry wick long sleeve shirt next to skin - then if it is minus 20 or below i wear splash pants on top - i usually wear a hoodie and a windbreaker on top all the time - another good running tip is to run the first part of your program into the wind because you are still warming up and not sweating as much its easier to stay warm then finish with the wind at your back - its a positive thing that works for me - i just fini**** with a pair of new balance running gloves with reflective flaps and an adidias toque - i ran 10 km yesterday and it was minus 19 C didnt even wear the splash plants - as long as im moving im good - finally i do my cool down and stretching in the house because the collection of sweat will freeze while im stetching - good luck with winter running - i truly love it

Surgery Date - AUGUST 22, 2011 - Ran first 5KM Race - Oct 14, 2012 (28 min)  - Currently maintaining a healthy 190 lbs and training for my first half marathon in the summer of 2013

kellybelly333
on 12/27/12 11:38 pm - Toronto, Canada

Wow!! There is no way I can go without the splash pants at anything under 0. LOL

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Most Active
Recent Topics