blood transfussion

tango123
on 7/13/13 12:06 am

Hi everyone,

It's been a very long time. I am almost at my 2 yr surgiversary. I have had a text book journey until this month.

For you who don't know me a quick low down. I started at 294 lbs size 26-28. Now at 165 lbs size 8. I am 5'11 so I am happy just where I'm at. If was easier to download pics on this thing I would but  don't have fb (thats how I used to post pics)

I work out 5-6 days a week and am extremely happy with the way my body is. The fact I have to oragmi my boobs into my bra don't bother and my stomach tucks and fod into my bikini bottom is ok. Iplan to have a panni in the future.

My biggest concern now is my low hemoglobin. I went in for my regular check up and they found out i was at 76 for my hemoglobin and 4 for iron. Normal is 120+ adn 10+ for iron.

I was snt to the er asap and had 2 units of blood. I am now at 97 hemoglobin 2 weeks later. still low but no longer critical. They have me testing again in 4 weeks to make sure its not an active blled. They think its been a malabsortion of iron. I take multi's daily and now an iron supp. and vit c.

Is anyone else dealing with this and what has your treatment been?

thanks all Tanja.

roxytrim
on 7/13/13 12:44 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Well we have our own ob member "oknee" who has written a number of articles on Iron, she is the Iron nurse.  I just visited her yesterday (Friday) at HRRH, still on the fifth floor recovering from some issues.  Check out her articles on Iron supp, all are not equal.

Monica M.
on 7/13/13 2:25 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/oknee/blog/2010/03/26/all- about-iron/

as mentioned, ask OKNEE about your iron questions.

KristieA
on 7/13/13 2:23 pm - Orillia, Canada
I was taking 3 Feramax a day for a couple months and my ferratin only moved from 4 to 6. I joined a running group while all this was happening and couldn't figure out why I felt like a mac truck hit me every practice. Well, no iron stores = hard for muscles to work.

I had 4 iron infusions (Venofer) and wow what a difference.

In addition I was having periods from hell. Had an endometrial ablation and OMG should have done that years prior. My ferratin is now up and has stayed that way for 8mths.

Your iron issues could be for different reasons than mine, but this is what I experienced. Hopefully you are able to get your levels up and they figure out the problem soon.

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

twins4meplus1
on 7/14/13 1:26 pm - St Thomas, Canada
I did almost exactly the same thing as you. Ablation to control heavy menstrual bleeding. Colonoscopy and endoscopy to rule out any other bleeding in the GI tract. Several iron infusions to refill the tank so to speak and bring my levels back into a more normal range. I now take two FeraMAX per day. I monitor my levels every 6 months. If it starts to drop I have an iron infusion. Now I only seem to need one every 6 to 8 months.

I had my gastric bypass almost 6 years ago.

Linda

London and Area Support Group Leader
http://www.london-wls-support-group.com/
Come join the Ontario Plastics Patients Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_Post_Plastics 
Come join the Ontario WLS Vets Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_WLS_Vets/
To get your discounted subscription to OH Magazine
Follow the link below and enter the promo code "Terrio11
http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/subscriptions.
html

OH certified WLS Support Group Leader

kellybelly333
on 7/14/13 11:22 pm - Toronto, Canada

I'm going for my second of three iron infusions today (my third time 'round). I have an appointment with an OB/GYN at the end of the month. They found endometriosis on my bowels, and i've always (before and after surgery) have had very bad periods. I hope that they send me for the endometrial ablation, before they do anything else drastic (medicated menopause, or hysterectomy). I had a panni earlier this year, getting my gall bladder out on thursday....I really hope I don't have another surgery this year. My work will be fed up for sure!!

I will say, my last Venofer last monday was the first time ever that I felt a difference. The other two times that I had the three rounds of it, I felt exactly the same.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

KristieA
on 7/15/13 1:20 am - Orillia, Canada
The ablation was the best decision I ever made. Not sure why it took the doctor so long to suggest it, but better late than never. I would get the infusion, have my period the next week and then my levels would drop almost immediately just in time for the next one. We talked hormones and hysterectomy, but this was a minimally invasive option. Worst case - I will have it done again or look at the hysterectomy down the road.

Too bad you can't get a 'twofer' and have the OBGYN come in a do his thing after your gallbladder.

Hope all goes well Thursday. Gallbladder attacks are no fun!

Kristie

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

Most Active
Recent Topics