Day 3 of Optifast - Ohhh the trots :(

Dar_Tay
on 1/6/16 8:18 am - Canada

Wish I could find a better way to word all this, so I hope this is not too much information. Since I started Opitfast 3 days ago I have had horrendous diarrhea after nearly each shake. I can't even get my 4 pkgs/day in because I just can't handle the extreme trots.

Any suggestions?  Will my body gradually adjust to the optifast. I don't have an issue at all taking it. Actually enjoy it! 

Thanks!

pierper
on 1/6/16 9:53 am
RNY on 02/10/16

Call your dietitian I'm sure they will know what to do

Patm
on 1/6/16 10:19 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12
On January 6, 2016 at 4:18 PM Pacific Time, Dar_Tay wrote:

Wish I could find a better way to word all this, so I hope this is not too much information. Since I started Opitfast 3 days ago I have had horrendous diarrhea after nearly each shake. I can't even get my 4 pkgs/day in because I just can't handle the extreme trots.

Any suggestions?  Will my body gradually adjust to the optifast. I don't have an issue at all taking it. Actually enjoy it! 

Thanks!

I had the same problem. It was a little better when I stopped using anything with sugar substitutes in it. It will limit what you can add to opti but it was the only way I could survive. I used decaf coffee crystals to change the flavour.

I still only did 3 packages a day which I was told was fine. They are just meal substitutes not magic so do what you can tolerate. If it continues contact the dietitian

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/16 10:49 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Take unflavoured, sugar free metamucil capsules with each shake.

lammytee14
on 1/6/16 5:01 pm

I was going to suggest the same thing. That's what they recommended through the Ottawa WMC. I took 2-3 of those each time I had a shake. I was skeptical the first time I tried them as I didn't think that would help with optitrots but it did.

Tammy :)

Surgery on March 16, 2015 with Dr. Yelle (Ottawa)

HW: 245 (2012) SW: 233 CW: 141 Goal Range (by Surgeon): 149-179  

Holy Smokes! I've lost 100 pounds from my heaviest weight! Yay me!!!

northernga1
on 1/6/16 1:36 pm - Elliot Lake, Canada

add some benefiber into each optifast shake you're drinking it will help wit the trots or with constipation 

Referral Feb 14 2014; Orientation July 30 2014; 1 on 1's Feb 17, 2015; Pre op May 27 2015; Surgery date June 16, 2015

Mas
on 1/6/16 6:27 pm

Hi 

sorry for your trouble.  My centre suggested taking two Metamucil capsules with each shake.  I did and I had no trouble with the opti trots.....which I would be susceptible to due to IBS.  Perhaps speak to a dietician to see if this is recommended at your centre. Good luck. 

Most Active
Recent Topics