13 Years Post Op RNY

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/25/19 9:48 am - Windsor, Canada

Last month I celebrated the 13th anniversary of my RNY but I didn't post. Well today I've had a few moments to myself so I thought I would write up a little something to let newer folks (those of a few months to a few years out, know what life is like post surgery.

The AWESOME: Life is good! Life as a normal sized person is a wonderful thing. I am in a size medium and one size DOES fit all.

I have completed 5 half marathons, coached Special Olympics, and found a new love of kayaking.

Post surgery I realized I had an eating disorder (BED) and used food for so much. I've done therapy and have had to work really hard to work on those bad habits like "all or nothing", and allowing my fat head to criticize me.

Food is and always be a struggle. When you've always been overweight since childhood, "moderation" does not necessarily come innately even with a pouch! When regain happened, it was very daunting and I swung to every fad diet out there which of course, worked short term, but eventually lead to gaining it all back. In January, I was 27 lbs above my goal and that was scary! Regain is and always will be EASY!

I've worked this year really hard to find "balance" in my life which has proved to be a good thing. I have lost 18 lbs of my 27. I've gotten rid of thinking of short term solutions, and instead have focused on the long term haul by setting small goals for weight loss as working on getting back to HABITS. No radical plan other than more whole foods, fruit and veggies, protein first, less processed garbage etc. I still have treats and I still enjoy social events. It takes commitment to portion control and healthy eating overall. A treat isn't a "treat" when it's every day! If I ate what I wanted all the time I would be back to 300 lbs. this takes effort, discipline and portion control in a big way!

My activity involves me getting my 10,000 steps in most days and doing the occasional video and taking lots of walks. I don't want to spend hours in a gym - that's just not for me. So I am not a muscle woman nor a size 6 but I'm okay with that. I don't have to be.

The CHALLENGES: osteopenia (told wrong calcium to take), always iron deficient and I have reactive hypoglycaemia. All are manageable and a welcome trade off for my normal life. I take no medications - just supplements.

The biggest challenge of all is the one I mentioned above. Food will ALWAYS be my challenge! Surgery doesn't change the weight rollercoaster. I can't tell you how many times my weight has fluctuated up and down those same 20 lbs! Just because you kick it to the curb doesn't mean that the weight (or even regain!) is gone forever. I know this will be a commitment FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!

Was the surgery worth it!? A million times yes! Until you live the long term life though you don't see it's greatest challenges. The best advice I can give is to find people to support you, always find new ways to spark your journey, deal with your food issues, ask for help, use your support group and mentors and most of all, stay connected to wls communities such as this one! ?o

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/25/19 9:49 am - Windsor, Canada

Last month I celebrated the 13th anniversary of my RNY but I didn't post. Well today I've had a few moments to myself so I thought I would write up a little something to let newer folks (those of a few months to a few years out, know what life is like post surgery.

The AWESOME: Life is good! Life as a normal sized person is a wonderful thing. I am in a size medium and one size DOES fit all.

I have completed 5 half marathons, coached Special Olympics, and found a new love of kayaking.

Post surgery I realized I had an eating disorder (BED) and used food for so much. I've done therapy and have had to work really hard to work on those bad habits like "all or nothing", and allowing my fat head to criticize me.

Food is and always be a struggle. When you've always been overweight since childhood, "moderation" does not necessarily come innately even with a pouch! When regain happened, it was very daunting and I swung to every fad diet out there which of course, worked short term, but eventually lead to gaining it all back. In January, I was 27 lbs above my goal and that was scary! Regain is and always will be EASY!

I've worked this year really hard to find "balance" in my life which has proved to be a good thing. I have lost 18 lbs of my 27. I've gotten rid of thinking of short term solutions, and instead have focused on the long term haul by setting small goals for weight loss as working on getting back to HABITS. No radical plan other than more whole foods, fruit and veggies, protein first, less processed garbage etc. I still have treats and I still enjoy social events. It takes commitment to portion control and healthy eating overall. A treat isn't a "treat" when it's every day! If I ate what I wanted all the time I would be back to 300 lbs. this takes effort, discipline and portion control in a big way!

My activity involves me getting my 10,000 steps in most days and doing the occasional video and taking lots of walks. I don't want to spend hours in a gym - that's just not for me. So I am not a muscle woman nor a size 6 but I'm okay with that. I don't have to be.

The CHALLENGES: osteopenia (told wrong calcium to take), always iron deficient and I have reactive hypoglycaemia. All are manageable and a welcome trade off for my normal life. I take no medications - just supplements.

The biggest challenge of all is the one I mentioned above. Food will ALWAYS be my challenge! Surgery doesn't change the weight rollercoaster. I can't tell you how many times my weight has fluctuated up and down those same 20 lbs! Just because you kick it to the curb doesn't mean that the weight (or even regain!) is gone forever. I know this will be a commitment FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!

Was the surgery worth it!? A million times yes! Until you live the long term life though you don't see it's greatest challenges. The best advice I can give is to find people to support you, always find new ways to spark your journey, deal with your food issues, ask for help, use your support group and mentors and most of all, stay connected to wls communities such as this one! ?o

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!

LeslieCL
on 8/26/19 4:47 pm

Thank you, you are an inspiration!

Referred January 7/17, Orientation Humber May 28/17, Meet Dr. August 4/17, TRIO November 3/17, Internist November 21/17, Surgeon again December 21/17, Pre-op assessment January 4/18 and Surgery January 12/18.

Swiggum
on 8/27/19 4:32 am

Thank you SO much for sharing this!

Mellywog
on 8/27/19 6:30 am
RNY on 06/17/19

Congratulations and thank you for sharing. As a newbie, I love reading the 'real' stories of peoples ups and downs. I'm 2 months out and currently struggling to remember to take my vitamins. I also have the bad habit of 'all of nothing'. Your 'challenges' section just motivated me to renew my effort in getting them all in. Good luck on your continued success!

Wayne H.
on 8/29/19 7:57 am
RNY on 02/08/17

Congratulations Dawn!!!

Lucile777
on 9/1/19 7:21 pm

Congratulations, Dawn! i hear ya about the life long struggle. Good on ya!

RNY Oct. 27/17. HW 289; SW 285; GW 144; LW: 161 CW: 196 FML: Fighting regain :(

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/6/19 9:09 am

Congratulations Dawn. !!!

Ostopenia sucks, but sometimes the decline can be stopped or even slowly reverse.

Most docs don't tell you that, because frankly most of them really don't know any better. Even the ones that should know.

Just taking calcium, even the good one, may not help much. The bones stricture if much more complicated than that. We also need magnesium, often as much as Calcium. And other essential minerals like strontium, boron, etc. Small amount, but still without them the strong bone matrix is not going to happen.

To absorb Calcium and Magnesium, we need the proper structure of them, plus a good level of Vit D3 to help absorption. I strive on my D to be 50-70. Not too low, not too high.

Calcium Citrate is supposed to be good for us, but there are other forms that can be also good. Magnesium is a different story- most magnesium affect the bowels: oxide, citrate, malate, etc. There are other forms of magnesium, like glycinate - that suppose to be better for absorption.

BUt once you are able to absorb the minerals - specially calcium - you may need to supplement vit K2. Vit K2 is critical - it tells our body where to put the calcium and other minerals.

Just taking calcium and be able to absorb it - can backfire, if the body start putting it in veins, joints, muscles... causing calcium build up. WE NEED K2 to dirent the calcium to the bones.

I am 59, I had body DEXA scan done app 3 years ago and recently. My bones density was and it is very good. At my age, and considering I don't take a lot of calcium citrate, but I take a lot of magnesium and vit K2. I take Mag oxide/citrate to help with my BM, and I take mag bi-glycinate, and mg malate to have for my bones and muscles.

I take larger dose K2 in dry form (K2 is fat soluble and even dry form i know I malabsorb even now, 11 years post op.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Diminishing Dawn
on 9/6/19 9:36 am - Windsor, Canada

Yes I am well aware of supplementation actually. My bone loss has not changed since year 2 so I am not osteoporotic.

Tuktu
on 9/11/19 1:52 pm
RNY on 03/07/17

Congratulations on your 13 year anniversary! You look amazing and its great to hear how you are coping so well to all the challenges. Great advice too - support is so important to get you through and staying connected with people who understand your situation

Most Active
Recent Topics