Drinking too much???

mrsbrunell
on 6/27/08 2:46 pm - Bensalem, PA
I'm a little concerned about how much I am able to get in at one time.  I don't try to stuff myself with food or anything being that I am still on full liquids; however, I'm able to drink a lot more and a lot easier than my husband who is 5 weeks out.  For instance, for dinner I drank 4 oz. split pea soup (blended & strained), 10 oz. crystal lite and then had 4 oz. jello after that over a period of 1 hour.  I know my husband has a lot of difficulty even finishing his shakes (he would take hours to even finish his morning shake), but I get them right down without a problem.  Should I be concerned about how fast/how much I am drinking or is my husband the weirdo? ;)

--Tara

Patricia R.
on 6/27/08 3:55 pm - Perry, MI
Different people have different tolerances.  I could swallow and take in a lot of liquid from the very start, others cannot.   Neither is good nor bad. Huggles, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

mrsbrunell
on 6/28/08 2:16 am - Bensalem, PA
I was really concerned because I have been drinking more than my husband and he's all I really have to gauge things by.  But the day I was discharged, I got in 66 oz.  The following day, I drank 85 oz. and yesterday i drank 122 oz.  I was worried that it meant my surgery didn't go as well as my husband's did but I'm glad to hear that other people can drink a lot too.  :)

--Tara

Nicole0216
on 6/28/08 1:50 am - Lancaster, PA
make sure you are sipping. also make sure you stick with the recommended measurements, because right now you have no nerves sending fullness signals. so just because you can drink it without feeling full does not mean you should. take your time but dont fret too much. everyone is different
mrsbrunell
on 6/28/08 2:22 am - Bensalem, PA
I have been very careful to sip and haven't used straws at all.  I was just so nervous because my fluid level has been steadily increasing.  I do get the feelings of fullness in my chest if I've had too much but that has rarely happened.  My husband said he's actually hoping I get sick so that I'll know my limits.  But I've actually had a much different experience that he's had already...I do feel hungry from time to time and last night I actually felt very thirsty!

--Tara

jdruski
on 6/28/08 2:53 am - Philadelphia, PA

Mrs. B, The other posters have given you very good advice.  We are all different.  I want to go another route here.  Please don't compare yourself and what you are doing to your husband.  It must be fabulous to have a real live person right there who has already gone through what you are now experiencing, but PLEASE this is your journey.  The reason I stress this point is because somewhere down the line your hubby will probably be dropping the weight rapidly.  As women we don't lose as quickly as men and I really don't want to see you become frustrated.  You will read messages on here all the time about the scale isn't moving, I am stalled, etc.   The reason I bring this up with your post is because I can see (my perception, so if I am wrong, I apologize) that you are comparing yourself to hubby.  As each poster stated we are all different.  You may be able to consume more liquids but later that might change.  As long as you follow the guidelines of your program.  Remember these are guidelines only.   Like you, I had no problems with getting the liquids in.  I never had any problems with beginning weeks and then later into when solid food was introduced.  I am 2 years post op and have lost over 200 lbs.    Don't stress, enjoy your journey.  Try not to compare.  You are healing and maybe your body is telling you that it needs the amounts you are giving it.  Trust me if you overdo the POUCHIE WILL GET GROUCHY, lol. It is so great to see how wonderfully you and your hubby are doing.  Keep up the good work.  Jeanne  Jeanne

mrsbrunell
on 6/28/08 3:41 am - Bensalem, PA
Thanks Jeanne.  I know what you mean about comparing myself to my husband and getting frustrated with the weight loss but thankfully I'm not really worried about that right now.  I was more concerned that something hadn't quite taken right being that I was able to drink so much more than he is or has been able to since he came home.  He was concerned that I'm over drinking because he isn't able to drink as well as I am and I was nervous that something was wrong with me.  I'm sure he's going to lose more weight faster than I am because that's always been the case.  He's 5 weeks postop and has lost about 35 pounds and I've already lost 7 lbs since having surgery on Monday.  I'm very excited for both of us and can't wait to see how it all comes out.   Though I am a little jealous of him in one area...he doesn't have any desire to eat and I can't say that I've been as lucky.  Walking through the grocery store or feeding the kids is no problem for him but I really have to fight the urge to want to have something.  Of that, I am jealous Tara

--Tara

jdruski
on 6/28/08 6:43 am - Philadelphia, PA
Tara, My first 2 weeks I threatened to sell the dog to get a pizza.  I also could consume more than what I read other people talking about.  Like you I swore that my surgery didn't work or something was wrong.  It is all part of the process you go through after the surgery.  I had open surgery so I knew that (by some post-op conversations) that he bypassed more than 150 so I knew the surgery was done it was just the way that my body reacts.   Take it slow, you will start to see the results before you know it.  The first few months, although the golden time are also the hardest. Jeanne
Pam Hart
on 6/28/08 2:25 pm - Easton, PA
Tara, I hit or exceeded all my fluid goals very easily after discharge.  I didn't have a problem drinking. Now 8 mos later, I drink like a regular person and normally consistently get in over 100 ounces a day.  Just make sure you are definately sipping and not gulping at this stage - allow your body to heal. Sounds like you are doing fabulous Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1789 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1884 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2564 views