Need HELP or ADVICE & WISDOM...

caitiegirlsmom
on 6/30/08 5:59 am - PHILADELPHIA, PA

Hi everyone, I haven't been on in a while because I have been feeling bad for myself.  You see 6 weeks ago I got laid off from my job, I worked for them for 10 years.  I am now collecting unemployment and working part time as a bookkeeper for one of my old customers.  Anyway, so I am job hunting and eating!  I know I have screwed up my surgery results because I haven't lose any weight in the last few months.  I NEED HELP!  I still want to lose an additional 100 lbs.  Since being home I gained 6 lbs. but I lose 3 of those and I am trying to get back into the swing of things but I need advice and words of wisdom.  Please help!  Heck I also need a job!! LOL Thanks, Tina

dit657
on 6/30/08 6:16 am - Boothwyn, PA
Hi Tina - I'm really sorry to hear about your job - sounds like you're going thru a bit of mourning for it, which is totally understandable and normal, and when sad and depressed where do we turn? Our old friend, food. But I'm glad you're back posting because it means you're ready to end the pity-party and uncontrolled eating and get back to your life again. A new job will come along and think of how good you'll feel going out on interviews knowing you've lost so much weight and have more you want to lose! Could give you all the old cliches about this or that, but you did exactly what you needed to do - came back here for support, and you know we'll give it to. So get those protein shakes back out - start tracking what you eat - try to start exercising again if you stopped - and remember all this because I'm sure there will come a day when I need this little pep talk too!! Take care - praying for a job to come along for you soon. Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Pam Hart
on 6/30/08 6:20 am - Easton, PA
Tina, I agree with Kathy.  You came here because you are ready to take control.  We all have things in life that slip us up - the good news is you are catching it in the bud.  6 pounds is not 60 pounds (and even if it were, Norm will attest that even that can be fixed) A hard way to do it, but it works for most, is the 5 day pouch test.  It gets you out of bad habits and into good ones.  Google 5 day pouch test and it will bring you to their website. Start counting and consciously making efforts - and start moving.  The weather, although hot, is gorgeous.  Take those kiddos for a walk or a swim or a play in the park - and don't sit on the bench watching! We'll be here! Pam
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Nicole0216
on 6/30/08 8:15 am - Lancaster, PA
i think the mistake most of us make is to think that this surgery will cure us from eating emotionally again. WRONG! Everyone even the skinniest person sometimes eats out of emotion. You have not broken your tool, it will still work. It is harder to do the right thing when we are under stress i know this first hand. but if you plan better then it will be easier for you. We need alot of structure and planning for our food plans to be successful. Cut yourself a little slack, but when you are ready get right back up in the saddle.
Patricia R.
on 6/30/08 9:15 am - Perry, MI
Hi Tina, So sorry to hear about your job situation.  That really sucks.  I do empathize with the emotional eating situation.  I did a bit of it myself this past winter myself when my brother died.  What helped me was to get back to basics.  Increased my exercise, increased my protein, cut out the junk, and the waste carbs, and started self-soothing for the emotions.  Journaling, and using the phone to talk about my feelings, rather than eat over them. Hang in there.  You caught it, and it can be fixed. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 6/30/08 7:06 pm

I hear you and can only tell you that the way to get back on track is to JUST DO IT!!! Start by getting all the no no stuff out of your house.  The 5 day pouch test will put you back on track, but  the first 2 days will be a hard thing to do.  If you find you can't do it, then start with day 4 and 5.  These two menus should be your routine from this day forward.  It will get you back to the full feeling with smaller portions as long as you stick to the selections.  Once you are back on track make a conscience effort to control the types of carbs you are taking in.  The wrong kinds of carbs will trigger hunger, so start off with only fresh leafy veggies as your carbs.  Later on you can bring in some fruit.  Give up all the sliders including cottage cheese and yogurt.  Start a food journal and keep track of your calories, fat, carbs and protein.  Your carb count should not be more than your fat range that you were prescribed by your surgeon.  As long as your calories are under 1000 your protein can be higher than prescribed.  If you go over on the calories, your protein should be at the prescribed level. 

On the job hunting, have you signed up with all the temp agencies?  I worked as a temp for AccountTemps for a year and then their Mother Company Robert Half got me a full time permanent position.  I really didn't want to be a temp, but it lead to a permanent position. 

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

jastypes
on 7/1/08 12:41 am - Croydon, PA

Hey, Tina, it's been a while.  You haven't screwed up your surgery.  RNY is a tool that we need to use correctly in order for it to work.  I'm not a big fan of the 5-day pouch test, but I am a believer in "Back To Basics."  Remember your pouch rules and go back to them:  No drinking with eating; meet protein goals; mee****er goals; protein first; 6 small meals; nothing with more than 2 grams of added sugar. Food won't employ you.  It won't pay you.  It won't validate you.  Throw your energy into job hunting OR enjoying your time home (over the summer, with your daughter).  Let food take its proper place as fuel.  Use the fuel to exercise away some of your stress. 

Great to see you posting and asking for help. 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

caitiegirlsmom
on 7/2/08 6:49 am - PHILADELPHIA, PA

Ladies, thank you so much for all the advice!  I just can't believe how much weight everyone is losing on here and I haven't lost a darn thing in like 3 months except for some of the weight I gained while being home.  I have given myself the new start date of Tuesday 7/8 and I am going back to the basics again! I will keep you all informed and I will definitely be on more looking to receive support as well as give it!  Thanks again, Tina

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1789 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1885 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2565 views