How did you choose your doctor?

SleeplessinAbitibi
on 7/30/12 11:05 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/23/12
Hi all...I have posted on here before, got all set to book appointement for surgery then chickened out!  Sigh....now I am back on signing up for this.  Lots of soul searching yaddy yaddy yadda...anyway, I am in Northern Quebec.  I can go to either Montreal (was all set to phone Dr. Christou's office) or Gatineau or Ottawa.  I am paying so I can basically go wherever for the surgery, I'll be in a hotel somewhere!  How do you chose where to go? I was reading a lot about Dr. Christou who seems to be THE guy in Montreal but the comments on "rate your doc" site for the past 2 years seem to be that he is rushed, not available for follow ups easily...!  As stated previously I am very scared of this surgery and I need to know that I am in the best capable hands but also I need to feel that I will get help if I need it postop.  I don't know what to do anymore...I never really looked into the Ottawa/Gatineau area.  Anyone has any thoughts on this? Also, one of my big fear is the fact that I am in a small town and if I have any problems I only have the local hospital here...i don't know how verse they are here with bariatric procedures and possible complications..anyone else here from a small place...boonies kinda really!
melting-butta
on 7/31/12 2:13 am - laval, Canada
Follow your instincts. Trust yourself. Go with the surgeon you feel comfortable with.

Hockeymom73
on 7/31/12 10:56 pm
RNY on 11/21/12
Don't know about Gatineau, but Ottawa as it is in Ontario is not self pay.  You must get a referral from your doctor and be referred to the Central registry for Ontario. 

Not sure Ottawa would be an option.

HW: 400.5 CW: 251.0 GW: 199

Barbara_journey
on 8/1/12 10:02 pm - Canada
I think the only self-pay in Montreal right now is Dr Christou. He went private a few months ago and I believe it's a fairly short wait... Not like public which ranges from 2-4years... (from what I've seen).

From someone who JUST had the surgery just over 2 weeks ago... I can say: It's the BEST thing I've EVERY done for MYSELF... I'm a wife and a mother to 3 beautiful children, but my weight was interferring with our family life. We are a very active, social family, and I would find myself become exhausted so quickly, sore legs, sore knees, lower back would be killing me after a day out with the family. I have had ZERO complications, surgery went smoothly, learning how to eat is a new challange, but I am ready for it! I read post on here ALL the time.. and can honestly say, it's all true. You feel better after! Not just physically, all around. I'm not someone who had terribly low self-esteem, but It's only gotten better. I ended up doing 4 weeks of optifast (liquid diet) becuase my surgery was scheduled and then cancelled and then rescheduled.. I didn't have to do it the 2nd time, but I didn't want to take ANY chances that they got in there and could not do the surgery, so I did it a 2nd time.. so 4 weeks of Optifast plus 2 weeks post opt and I am down 49.1 lbs! I have NEVER in my life lost 49.1 lbs! I feel awesome, people at work are noticing, my family are noticing.. it's been awesome! I have almost no pain from surgery, never even filled my Rx for pain meds... I would recommend this to ANY one and I think anyone considering this surgery needs to take a step back and analyze your life. Who are you doing this for? Why are you doing this? Do you generally like who you are? Do you have a support system? I always felt like a shinny girl trapped ina fat girls body, I can't wait to meet my new body! The best part of all this, I've met some great people and I truly cherish this site and the connections I have made. We are all here for you, and have all been or are in your boat! 
Best of luck!! :) 

SleeplessinAbitibi
on 8/1/12 10:15 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/23/12
 Congratulations on being past such a HUGE hurdle!!!! I am envious!!! Which surgery did you get? 2 weeks into it and all ready feeling good...its fantastic!
Barbara_journey
on 8/2/12 6:05 am - Canada
Thank you! I was sleeved! 
I seriously feel GREAT! I went to work 1 week after surgery, no issues. I'm not tired, I have full of energy, I can get the water in, but the protein.. it another story.. I'm not hungry! and Eggs don't taste fantastic to me, i prefere softboiled or over easy... :( I do soups.,.. I tired fish the other night.. that went down... but I really feel great! other than 7 little very nicely healed scared on my belly, you'd never know I had surgery... that and the lbs I've lost! :D
I can not stress enough, this is the best thing i've ever done for mysef! :) 

SleeplessinAbitibi
on 8/2/12 8:04 am - Canada
VSG on 10/23/12
 I am at the moment leaning toward the sleeve as well...why did u chose the sleeve and where did u get it done?
Barbara_journey
on 8/2/12 10:25 pm - Canada
I had it done July 17th...

My Dr was the one who suggested it for me, less invasive, quick recovery, less chance of dumping syndrome.. Not that I am in ANY way against the RYN, infact I went to him assuming that would be what I would have done... but he said that the Sleeve was more for me.. :) 

SleeplessinAbitibi
on 8/3/12 5:17 am - Canada
VSG on 10/23/12
 Congrats ...so nice to have it behind you!
Most Active