What's your daily calorie intake at 1 year out?

shutterbugjunkie
on 2/25/12 10:17 am
RNY on 02/04/11 with
Since I don't have much guidance from my surgeon's office, just wondering what everyone's average daily calorie intake is at 1 year out? Also, what's your average protein intake for each day? If anyone wants to share what their typical meal plan is, please feel free (and include portion size, if possible.) Thanks!
  SW/258.5 Surgery Weight/249 CW/149.5 GW/140

poet_kelly
on 2/25/12 10:20 am - OH
At a year out I think I was doing about 1000 - 1200 calories a day, 60 -70 grams of protein.  I was eating about five times a day, around a cup of food at a time.  One of those meals was usually a protein shake.

Are you at goal yet or do you still want to lose more?  The right number of calories for you will depend on that, as well as on how much exercise you get.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Heidi T.
on 2/25/12 10:24 am
RNY on 01/31/12
 according to my surgeon's plan you should have between 1100-1200 calories a day, 1 1/2 cup of food per serving, and 80-100 grams of protein  a day

rny 1/30/12              
On 1/30/12 I begain my new healthier life, it is not easy, but day by day I will reach my goals.                
shutterbugjunkie
on 2/25/12 10:27 am
RNY on 02/04/11 with
I'm 10 lbs from my personal goal. I've been at a stand-still for about 3 months now. (Up and down about 5 lbs.) I'm down about 106 lbs. I've just really upped my exercise this past week and I plan on keeping it up to help me get to goal. I haven't been tracking my calories until 3 days ago. I've been averaging around 1200 calories/day. I make sure to get in at least 60 grams of protein, but it's normally not much more than that. Do you suggest that I try to stay around 1000-1200 calories? Do you think I should add a protein drink in each day? Any other suggestions? Thanks so much for your help!
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 2/25/12 12:04 pm
If you are eating 1200 calories and 60 grams of protein then you are eating 240 caloroes in protein. 
So you are eating 960 calories in fat and carbs.  You should increase your protein intake but not increase your daily calories.  This would force you to lower your carbs and/or fat.  Preferably your carbs.  Especially white carbs:  sugar, flour, white rice, white pasta.

Winnie

gbsinsatx
on 2/25/12 5:51 pm - San Antonio, TX
  • These are the rules I followed/follow: 
  •  
  • *Drink 64 ounces Liquids daily (drink up to a meal, wait 60 minutes after a meal) (I add 2 packets sugar free drink mix and 1 teaspoon Benefiber to 2-32 oz water containers)
  • *Must eat at least 60 grams of Protein a day (100 or more grams beginning at 1200 calories a day)
  • *Eat no fat/lowfat dairy products
  • *Eat simple (fruit) and complex (vegetables, whole grains) Carbohydrates (I do not count daily grams)
  • *No more than 15 grams of Sugar per meal (more grams if able to tolerate-I can tolerate a maximum of 30 grams Sugar per meal from Simple and Complex Carbohydrate sources)
  • *Eat 3 main meals (B, L, D) no further than 5-6 hours apart
  • *Eat 1 protein snack at 1200 calories a day at least 2-3 hours from breakfast
  • *Eat 2-3 protein snacks at Maintenance calories a day at least 2-3 hours from B, L, D
  • *3-6 Months After Surgery: I ate 600-700 calories a day
  • *6-9 Months After Surgery: I ate 800-900 calories a day
  • *9-12 Months After Surgery: I ate 1000 calories a day
  • *12-18 Months After Surgery: eat 1200 calories a day (I ate 1200 calories a day until 15 months when I reached my goal weight)
  • *18 Months after surgery (or when goal weight is reached before 18 months): Maintenance calories (BMR/RMR & Activity Level) (Malabsorption of calories lasts approximately 18-24 months)
  • I do not participate in a formal exercise program due to Rheumatoid and Osteoarthritis. I do move around a lot more and do a lot more walking.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

RonSudol
on 2/25/12 7:01 pm - NJ
informative post ^

and also the way i have it written as well from my office

---------------(Starting Weight - 365) ------------ (Current Weight - 165) ------------    

SafetyTurtle
on 2/25/12 10:26 pm, edited 2/25/12 10:46 pm - Cincinnati, OH
I'm not a year out yet, I'll be 22 weeks out on Monday. My weight loss has been averaging 4.2 lbs a week. I haven't updated my tracker yet, but I weighed in at 288 lbs this morning, down 92 lbs from surgery.

Monday through Friday, this is what my day looks like:
8AM: GNC Total Lean Shake, 14 oz 170 cal 6g fat 6g carbs 25g protein
9AM: Fat Free Greek yogurt w/fruit (Kroger brand), 6 oz 130 cal 0g fat 15g carbs 14g protein
10AM: fruit of some kind on the way to the gym, 1/2 a cup stats vary but always under 100 cals
12PM: Protein bar after gym. I just found new ones I love called Power Crunch: 200 cal 12g fat 10g carbs 13g protein. It is a wafer type bar, so a lot lighter on the pouch. Uses Stevia, so no sugar alcohols. And it's the only one I've found that I like that has higher protein than carbs.
1PM: 2 oz of lean meat (usually pork or turkey),and 2 oz of cheese
3PM: GNC Total Lean Shake
5PM: 2 oz of lean meat, 1 oz of cheese, and 1-2 oz of steamed veggies (usually broccoli)
7PM: sometimes I'll have another piece of cheese or a piece of lunchmeat, not every night
9PM: SF jello or pudding to take my vitamins and meds

I stay under 1400 calories, and work hard planning so that at minimum 40% of my calories are from protein, and at max 30% are from carbs and 30% from fat. It's a balancing act for sure. Monday through Friday I lift weights for 15-30 minutes, and swim for 45-60 minutes. I also have a part time babysitting job 1-3 days a week, and play the Kinect a few times a week. 1400 calories seemed like a lot, but I'm burning near or above 4000 a day between just living, and then the gym and other stuff. I'm still losing at a great rate.

Saturday and Sunday I don't have scheduled workouts, but know I will do things like clean the house, play the Kinect, take the dogs to the park, go shopping and walking for hours, etc. I follow a 1000-1200 calorie diet on these days, making modifications from above...

9AM: GNC Total Lean Shake & fat free Greek yogurt w/fruit
12PM: 2 oz of lean meat, 2 oz of cheese
3PM: if I'm going to be or have been active, I'll have a protein bar or another shake here; if not, I have a piece of deli meat around a cheese stick
6PM: 2 oz of lean meat, 1 oz of cheese, 1-2 oz of steamed veggies
9PM: on Saturday its a SF jello or pudding, or low sugar ice cream; on Sunday, it's our "treat" night, so maybe popcorn, or some roasted chick peas, or if we're feeling really special we'll have a few mini chicken spring rolls.

I log everything on My Fat Secret (www.fatsecret.com), on the computer and on my phone app, which has a barcode scanner that I love. I log all my hubby's food, too, per his request. He did not have WLS, but has lost nearly 40 lbs since I had mine. He's so supportive, and will eat anything I make, he always wants to eat the same things as me so I don't feel alone. He eats more though, obviously. Anyhow, I find that tracking lets me see exactly what I'm taking in and putting out. I aim for (and nearly always get) 100-120 g of protein a day M-F, and 80-100 g on S/S. I find I feel pretty crappy if I am at less than 80 g, but I know others do fine on less, and others need way more. I think that is something only your body knows and hopefully is good at telling you.

Gina :~)