Depression after surgery

50yardliner
on 6/7/20 6:11 am
RNY on 06/24/20

I am scheduled for surgery on the 24th. I have battled anxiety and depression most of my life. I manage it, but there have been times in my life that my depression was severe-i came close to admitting myself to a hospital but did not.

I am worried about depression after surgery. What were your experiences?

White Dove
on 6/7/20 6:38 am - Warren, OH

Being obese caused depression for me. After surgery, I lost weight quickly and have never experienced depression again. But that is one experience and yours could be different. You need to have a therapist as part of your medical team and you need to meet with them and work on your issues.

If you do not already have someone, I would suggest asking your surgeon's office to recommend someone who has experience with weight loss surgery patients. Depression is not something to ignore. It robs you of a happy life and it is treatable.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Melody P.
on 6/7/20 10:06 am - Amarillo, TX

Please see a professional counselor/psychologist before and during your whole journey.

I am bi-polar and have the depression & anxiety stuff too. I know it's different but.... I wish to goodness I had seen someone for counseling before. I recently found a good match in a psychologist and it has helped immensely. I have always seen a psychiatrist too but the counseling has really helped so much. I also have binge eating disorder that she is helping me with.

it can be tough but you can also work through it! It is so worth it!

dcbrown3
on 6/9/20 4:25 am

I don't have depression, so I can't help in that aspect. But, I would recommend reaching out to your surgeon and seeing if they recommend someone. The program that my hospital runs, part of the pre surgery process is we have to meet with a psychologist that works along side the surgery team and have their approval before we're allowed to proceed with surgery. I only needed the one appointment with her since this isn't an issue for me, but with people that need it, she's there as a continual resource. So, I would recommend asking your surgeon or nutrition team if you have one.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/9/20 9:36 am

I had enough surgeries in the last 12 years to confirm that surgery itself, when anesthesia is used can lead to depression. Not for everyone, but it can happen. That and opiates pain medication. I was surprised how badly I felt after most of my surgeries. The more invasive the surgery, and the longer I was under, the wort I felt a few months after that.

Admitting to myself that I needed help was really difficult. But I managed.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cris1976
on 6/25/20 12:29 pm

Please see a professional counselor/psychologist before and think about yours expectations about surgery. I had depresion after surgery because I dont had an effective preparation. The surgery is on the gastric metabolism, dont in ours emotions.

I'm here and today without depresion ;-)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 431 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 387 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 312 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 428 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 312 views