11 years post VBG and want reversal not revision

lisa617
on 6/16/13 12:43 am

I am 11 year post VBG (Dr. Champion in Atlanta). Went from 221 to 147 in about 9 mos. After a year or so I regained to 160 which is where I remain today (actually it varies from 156-162 or so) but in any case I have been more than satisfied with my weight loss and maintenance. I have had severe GERD for the last 9 years as well as intermittent vomiting from the very beginning. Within the last year or so I have been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia, anemia and Barrett's Esophagus. I vomit constantly as all food except liquids get caught at the diaphragm. I have had Upper Endoscopy, Colonoscopy, Barium swallow with small bowel follow thru and am scheduled to undergo an iron transfusion this week. I am tired. I want to have the band removed without revision to rny or any other weight loss surgery. If I gain weight, I'll live with it.  Has anyone had a reversal without revision and if so, how was your health following the reversal?  I am looking for a surgeon in Georgia who specializes in reversals and any information would be appreciated. I have BCBS HMO insurance.

Ballerinababe165
on 6/18/13 2:29 am, edited 6/18/13 2:30 am

I also am considering removal... I had my surgery in Southern Alberta.

I am so traumatized by this (and by life in general)  that I have forgotten the surgery date. This prevents me from having further medical treatment locally. I cannot come up with the $$ they want to access the system. This is oppression of the poor. 

A few things that have helped me over the last 1.5 years is to stop eating wheat, dairy, off diet sugar, only 2 servings of caffeine a day....,,,basically go vegan...after possibly 20 years post surgery .I don't believe this will ever be different.

They claim it prevents diabetes. I was diagnosed AFTER the surgery and am on 2 different types of insulin. 

I lost 130 pounds initially but regained most of it.... Due to the government filling their own pockets and not caring about the sick,

I was on fast acting insulin, when I needed slow for years on end. My toes are slowly leaving me. My sugars were a nightmare..like a bad rollercoaster ride. ..with some very terrifying situations...like having a 2 while driving and cannot pull over to test and eat due to traffic. Having 2's in the middle of the night.This is what  I get for letting the doctor SHAME ME for having a problem. I am not so sure this surgery won't kill me... in all honesty.

I was told yesterday considering all I deal with physically.. I am healthy.

Now how can that be when i have fibromyalgia, ADHD,arthritis... and a host of other pain in the butt issues.

Geminidawn
on 2/4/15 10:33 am

Hi. Was your surgery done in Cardston by Dr Hollingsworth?  That's who did mine back in 2000. He's retired now so of no help. I am considering having the gastric sleeve done in Mexico but am getting conflicting stories on whether or not it can even be done. I just want to be normal again. 

Pjreeder
on 7/27/13 2:32 am

I am in the same boat.    20 years out and totally miserable.   I'm in Arkansas.  Have you had any luck getting something done?

My results were almost identical to yours.   I just want to feel good and eat normal again.  

MSSEXXC74
on 8/20/13 9:51 am

I know this post is really old but I was wondering what you did about the surgery after all about a reversal.  I thought  a sleeve could not be reversed because they take a portion of your stomach out of your body? 

hollykim
on 11/3/13 9:00 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
They didn't have the sleeve as we know it now. They had t he very first version of gastric stapeling that was done about 30 years ago. It is called verticals banded gastroplasty I think.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4299 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8552 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8079 views