Help!- Am I the only person that this is not gonna work for????

gabriella12
on 4/6/11 1:42 pm

I think I'm freaking out and over reacting but I cant help it.  I am 5 days out and completely lost.  The first couple of days I was fine knowing that I was hunger free but now I am beginning to feel hungry again and having bad food around me isn't helping.  I thought I would just not feel hungry anymore or at least definately not this soon after.  Am I doing something wrong?  Does anyone else feel hungry even right after the surgery???  I'm having lots of trouble getting protein in because I am still on liquids and I don't know how to include it.  So far all protein drinks are nasty and I have to dilute them with water anyway so that is even nastier!  What to do???  How much liquid am I supposed to be drinking with each meal?  Is it a bad sign if I can drink a lot?  Should I be worried that I am drinking too much? But what if I drink a little and still feel hungry?  I am so confused. Sorry about ranting.  Help!!!!

jbskaggs
on 4/6/11 1:47 pm - holt, MO
 Ask your doc for yogurt and cottage cheese.  In the meantime get some protien shakes and if you can drink it milk.  Broth also works.

I hated my first week post op.  But it passed fast.

JB

Drea408
on 4/6/11 1:55 pm - CA
im only 15 days post op and am hungry all the time. So your not alone in that boat.

mylastchance
on 4/6/11 1:56 pm
Liquids are the best,  protein is very important,  you need to keep looking for a protein you can handle.  I used the Premier Protein from Cost****hocolate) and many of us like it and it has like 30 grams of protein and only 160 cals and like 3 or so carbs if I remember right and those are all the things we look for. 
If you get in more protein you shouldn't be as hungry.  I consider myself lucky,  I don't get hungry,  I eat at certain times of the day and never really have hunger pangs, even if I don't eat I still don't get that hungry feeling like before.
Good luck on getting the answers you are looking for and welcome to our world.

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

Elaine2
on 4/6/11 1:57 pm - Atlanta, GA
Relax....freaking out isn't unusual at this point. You have allot to get used to. 

I don't think you can drink too much. Most folks have a hard time getting water in. Normally you don't drink with meals (most have the 30/30 rule) but since you're on liquids only I guess that is advise for later.

Try this for a protein shake.....some milk or  water with protein powder and flavoring...throw in a little greek yogurt if you can have it. Blend it really well and pour it into a shaker bottle. That way you can sip it as long as necessary and keep shaking it up.
Here's a website with recipes
http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/06/my-fa vorite-protein-shake-recipes.html

Relax...this will work for you..it's only been a few days.

gabriella12
on 4/7/11 12:34 am
Thanks sooo much!  I appreciate greatly all of your advise.  Will definately do.  30/30 rule??????
vjb1952
on 4/6/11 2:03 pm - Littlerock, CA
VSG on 03/28/11 with
Hi Sweetie...I am 8 days out.  When I was still in the hospital, I had trouble with the protein being too heavy in my lil' tummy, so the doc told me it was OK to dilute it with extra water.  That helped alot.  I have had "hunger" since this past week-end...I think it's mostly in my head , but it's there!  This week, now that I can have full liquids, I have mixed vanilla protein powder with some lowfat milk and smooth fruit yogurt to sip on.  If you're tired of sipping, then omit the milk and just eat the protein fortified yogurt slowly, in small bites.  You can also have s/f jello, diluted juice or broth.  It's all very new, and we will survive...stronger for the adventure! 

When I mix a shake, it usually becomes about 10 or 12 ozs by the time it is diluted properly for my taste (the container directions say to mix with 8 oz liquid).  At this point, I usually sip on it for a couple of hours.  I also drink water intermittently all day, flavored with Crystal Light or made into herb tea.  This time is the hardest part, and I believe it gets better and better after the healing process is completed.

Best wishes on your journey,  Viv 

vjb1952

msroro
on 4/6/11 2:12 pm - Richmond, VA
 I never could tolerate protien But in the liquid phase try as many as you can.  I should have done that  good luck!

Donna09
on 4/6/11 2:14 pm - CA
I asked the nurse in the hospital for 2nd's of the broth (because it tasted so good and I  was hungry) and she told me sorry honey, you have to get used to your new way of eating.  That's your meal...Meanwhile my roommate was barely even getting in her fluids.  We are all different.

I never had a hard time drinking liquids and now I can drink just as I did pre-op.  Be glad that you don't have a tough time drinking.   You wont get dehydrated! I too drink the premier RTD shakes from Costco.

If you can't find a protein that you can handle, perhaps you can get the unflavored protein and add it to your broth or whatever you are drinking?

I was really hungry for the first month, a lot of it was head hunger, but some of it was real.
Paula P.
on 4/6/11 3:48 pm - Spanaway, WA

I hated the protein shakes mixed with water too so I went ahead and tried mixing with skim milk and they tasted a lot better to me. I only like the strawberry flavor protein powder though. I didn't like adding more calories by using milk but skim milk is only 90 cals for 8 ozs and I was adding more protein too. I am almost a year out and feel hunger but not as bad as before surgury. Also when you start to eat more solid food like chicken you will feel fuller and stay that way longer than just drinking liquids. Good luck and try not to panic just take one day at a time.

Most Active