Questions about working out and diet

cricket808
on 5/2/11 12:49 pm - North Richland Hills, TX
I was told tonight I need to up my intake of calories and carbs. I shoot for 800 a day and low carbs.
What should my calories and carbs be if I am working out about 4 to 5 times a week. Im  trying to tone and cardio.  But just getting started.   Trainer said at least 150 carbs a day and didnt say about calories. I dont know who to ask.  Help

cece58
on 5/2/11 1:05 pm - CA
You should speak with your doctor. I exercise 7 days a week and eat 800 calories a day and keep my carbs below 40 grams. My weight loss has been right on target and had only one 2 week stall when I was 5 months in. If you go to 150 carbs you probably won't lose the weight you want.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

felicity2u
on 5/2/11 1:40 pm - LA
I also work out four times a week and my calories are at around 800 if not a little under.  That just sounds like way too many carbs at 150, a trainer may not be looking at your situation the same way your doctor might.  My doctor does not want me to have more than 45 carbs a day and no more than 15 carbs per meal.  I have been averaging around 4lbs a week!

If you fear nothing, then you love nothing. If you love nothing, what joy can there be in life?
                       VSG-3/3/2011 HW-308 SW-298 CW-152 GW-160
                                                156LBS. LOST

zzroged
on 5/2/11 2:05 pm - United Arab Emirates
I too kept my carbs low, except in the final few weeks before finishing training for a half marathon when I did up my carb intake - and then the scales stopped moving for about 3 weeks or so.

I felt that I needed more carbs for energy, but actually it didn't seem to make much of a difference to me and I think I was just chasing a commong theme of carb loading for energy which didn't work for me.

Good Luck
 New Group : UAE_Dubai_Forum for people living in the UAE/Middle East

TT  & Breast Lift Apr 2011 - Inner Thigh Lift & Arm Lift - Jun 2011
      First - 10k Jan 2011 : First - 1/2 Marathon Feb 2011

NanaDebby65
on 5/3/11 1:08 pm - North Richland Hills, TX
Hey Cricket, if you can, make an appointment with David Kellenburger @ Dr Kim's office. I've spoke with him several times and always get good info. Last months Support Group gave the best info I have seen from them so far. He said 3 meals a day w/15 gr each of protein, veggies, whole grain or fruit. Then 2 protein power up snacks consisting of at least 15 gr of protein. If you use this plan then you are looking at approx 90 grams of carbs. I am almost always under 90 but is it good they have this guideline because it allows for more veggies/fruits/whole grains for a healthy diet. If you can, come to SG tomorrow night at 6:30. Would love to see you!

Debby
HW: 228/GW: 140/CW: 134    
Mandyplus2 ..
on 5/3/11 1:25 pm - GA
Personally I would not listen to the trainer. He doesn't understand how the VSG works. It would be very difficult for you to get the protein you need while also eating 150 carb grams a day. I am at maintenance, into bodybuilding, I purposefully eat carbs, and even I don't eat 150 grams a day. There's no way I could while still getting in my protein, fats, and keeping my calories where they need to be.
 5'8" - 40 years old

Most Active
Recent Topics