When did you go back to work

Jeanne T.
on 5/13/11 1:06 am
Hi I am considering the VSG and was wondering how long was everyone off work.  I have an office job behind the desk so not real strenuous.  Just trying to get my ducks in a row within my head.  Any help would be appreciated. (or advice)  I was so sure I wanted the band and now I am so leaning toward the VSG.  Thanks.

kalimamasmom
on 5/13/11 1:14 am
I am fortunate to have STD at full pay for 6 weeks.  I am taking 5 weeks, originally thought 4, but with the travel involved in my job, I felt one more week would help me get acquainted with my new tummy before hitting the road.
I had total head fog for 2 full weeks after surgery.  I have been astonished that there were people going back to work after only a week.
I would plan to take as much as you can, and if you feel great, go back early!
Best wishes,
Jen

KrisJ77
on 5/13/11 1:16 am - TX
I work a desk job too! I had surgery on a Monday and could have returned that following Wednedsay.  My job however required me to have a release from the Dr to return. My Dr said I had to be out two weeks.  I felt great though after 1 1/2 weeks!!

BriarRose
on 5/13/11 1:18 am
I took 4 weeks off, and was glad I did. The first week, I was barely functional -- yes, by day 5 I could do things around the house, and went to the market (someone else drove) but my head was NOT on straight ! By the end of the second week, I felt good, but still needed a mid day nap to function past about 2pm. Week three, I was still resting mid day. Week 4 was about making myself stay up, and thinking I was totally ready.

The first week back, I came home, had dinner and was in bed by 8pm !!!
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Jeanne T.
on 5/13/11 1:25 am

Thanks everyone, I have a call into the nurse to see if I could talk to her a little more about the sleeve.  Just like to know more about it before I talk to the surgeon on Thursday.  I have gotten a lot of great information from all of you .  Thanks again,

BriarRose
on 5/13/11 1:24 am
I took 4 weeks. By week 2 I was human, but still really tired mid day. I took naps until the end of week 3, when I made myself stay up all day. The first week back, I was in bed by 8pm !!! We forget it IS major surgery, and our bodies ar under a great deal of stress !
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Jeanne T.
on 5/13/11 1:37 am
I chuckled as I am usually in bed by 8:30 or 9:00 anyway.
Kristy R.
on 5/13/11 1:37 am - Santa Clara, CA
 I went back to work after 7 days, this landed me back at work on a Wed.  I then took Thursday off due to feeling some mild abdominal strain from sitting in my chair all day that first day back.  Went back on Friday and rested that weekend.  Was fine from then on out.  I probably would have taken two weeks if I could have - but overall I did just fine and was glad to get back in the swing of things as quickly as possible.  I was already starting to get that "ugh, work" feeling after just one week off, so I wanted to get back  before I hated my job LOL.  Good luck!!!
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

Jeanne T.
on 5/13/11 1:44 am
I had had a Hysterectomy 2 weeks before my daughter got married and felt wonderful at the wedding.  I think I was back at work within a week.  But then again that was 6 years ago.  Well I guess I'll wait and see.  Thanks for the good wishes.
mimikay
on 5/13/11 1:53 am
Had surgery late Thursday night, drove 4 hours on Wednesday, went back to work on Thursday. I'm a high school science teacher (was, just retired) and I had to take it easy. Luckily, it was the first week of school. I was moving slowly and was very tired at night, but handled it with no problems. I was 54 at time of surgery. Whatever time you can take off, use it if it doesn't cause a hardship. I managed fine, but it would have been nice to have at least 2 weeks off. Just know that barring any complications, you can handle it if you're sitting most of the day. Good luck!
  Kay       HW 219/SW 212/CW 134              
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views