Age and VSG

AwesomeForever
on 5/26/11 11:24 am - Marlborough, MA
My husband could use surgery. He has gained while I have lost. I think that he may do better with VSG than with RNY.
I want to say that he just turned 66.
Is that too old?
Well, I just am researching this. I have not presented the idea to him.
He might say no.
He has other issues or comorbities.
I would take him to the same surgeon that I used at  NWH in MA.
awaiting your replies

Linda
Vivian Prouty
on 5/26/11 11:28 am - Fort Worth, TX
 Linda....that would be a good question to call a surgeon's office and ask.   Is he still employed ?   Most insurance co's are not paying for VSG yet but some are.   If he is on Medicare...they will only cover RNY and Lap band.     Good luck to your husband.    I hope he agrees to it.....mine needs WLS badly but refuses !!!

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

AwesomeForever
on 5/26/11 11:34 am - Marlborough, MA
He may refuse. He is employed. I think he will continue to work as long as he is able.
I just know that he gets so tired, Vivian. I was thinking that since our surgeons are now doing VSG that it may be covered. I remember that as one who was 60 in 2007 hearing that 65 was their limit for RNY. I have friends who are much older who could use surgery. It has been on my mind constantly.
He has BCBS.
Thanks,
Linda
Vivian Prouty
on 5/26/11 12:27 pm - Fort Worth, TX
 Linda.....I would sit down with him and have a heart to heart talk about his health and you wanting him around as long as possible.    Since the VSG is just removing 3/4 of the stomach and not any re arranging of the insides.....I can't see why there would be a age limit.   My husband is 59 and he weights about 350.   He should weight about 190.   I wish he would do something but until he becomes a diabetic....I really doubt that he will.    We got a new leather couch last weekend and it about killed him getting the old one out and the new one in.   I helped carry it too but it really didn't bother me that much.   I wish he would do something also.   Guess all we can do is pray that God will OPEN their eyes and ears to hear that we love them dearly and want their quality of life to improve so they will be along for many many more years.   Good luck to you.   Not sure if your insurance covers VSG or not yet.   Aetna does but not sure about the others.   Good luck to you and him both.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

sleeve genie
on 5/26/11 11:34 am - Alhambra, CA
No that is not too old,  I turned 60 the month before my surgery, one year ago and its the BEST thing i ever did for myself.   All of my motivation was health related and all of my medical issues have been resolved.  I feel wonderful and i think he should go for it.   Its great knowing how much healthier the rest of my life is going to be thanks to my sleeve.   Good luck to you both :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

AwesomeForever
on 5/26/11 11:36 am - Marlborough, MA
It is his decision. I just want to know the upper age limit.

Linda
sleeve genie
on 5/26/11 11:37 am - Alhambra, CA
I have heard people in their early 70s who had the sleeve and love it  :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

kanga003
on 5/26/11 11:43 am
I have BCBS and they just strted covering it in teh last year... good luck!

mylastchance
on 5/26/11 12:00 pm
There are 3 here on OH that come to mind that I think are up near there,  at leastI think so,  they are Old Medic,  Pop Pop, and Phred,  hope I am not speaking out of turn saying they are around that age,  I just hope you do find the answer you are looking for. 

Good luck to you

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

AwesomeForever
on 5/26/11 12:20 pm - Marlborough, MA
thanks for the information

Linda
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views