Help!!!!!!!!!

ckitchens
on 5/29/11 11:56 am - Houston, TX
Help!!!!!!
 I am new to this forum and to the website. I had my surgery last monday on the 23rd. I am having a hard time emotionaly, yesterday i laid and cried in my bed for hours not knowing why. Has anybod gone thru this?
I also have a few other questions
1) Was anybody starving after surgery? All i hear is how ur not hungry after surgery, well im starving. I had troubles and had to stay in the hospital till friday , 5 days the day i left was the first day i got to even try any liguids other than water. I have and had a hard time keeping anything down. It comes right back up.

2) Did anybody have the worry of eating and and thinking u r going to stretch out ur stomac if u try and eat a sugar free jello...lol i know this sounds stupid but i am hungry all the time and t try jello and then yogurt then tomatoe suace it all comes up in the end but i keep thinking wow is this how its going to go and how can i loose weight if all i want to do is snack?

3)Does anybody cheat? i hear how people cheat but i feel really bad but im so hungry and if u cheated did u still loose weight?

Please help and if anyone has advice please give.

sleeve genie
on 5/29/11 12:02 pm - Alhambra, CA
Congratulations on your surgery.  the first two weeks were the hardest for me.  first off the fat we burn is full of stored hormones and most of us get very emotional and it messes with the female cycle for many of us.   I was excited to not be hungry but i wasn't one of the lucky ones,  i always got hungry,  the nice thing is that if i eat a little it goes away.   Jello,  juice water  broth yogurt  those things will not stretch your tummy.   Be very careful this first month,  liquids only for me the first 10 days, then very soft foods.   you will figure it all out,  its really trial and error in the beginning.  I'm giving you some links to the diet guidelines and hope it will help you as it did me.  good luck  you'll do great  :o) jeani

http://www.sleeveguide.com/uploads/1/7/9/4/1794785/dietguidevged42006feb.pdf
http://www.northwestobesitysurgery.com/pdf/sleeve-gastrectomy-diet.pdf
http://www.cornellweightlosssurgery.org/pdf/dietary_guidelines_sleeve_gastrectomy.pdf

the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

Waning Woman
on 5/29/11 12:26 pm - TX
I remember being hungry, I still experience hunger to this day and being afraid tha****er was going to stretch out newly sleeved stomach and make me sick.
I can assure you beyond a shadow of a doubt that SF jello will not stretch your sleeve. It might not agree with it, but your sleeve will be fine.

Don't cheat. Its important that you follow the guidelines you that you can heal safely from surgery. all of this will pass.
    Follow my journey at http://waningwoman.com/
(deactivated member)
on 5/29/11 12:39 pm
OK CALM DOWN!  Now, first off your homones are a bit out of whack from having surgery and having 85% of your stomach removed.  They will improve shortly.  Many people are hungry after surgery it takes some time for the ghrelin your stomach produced to work its way out of your system.  I hope you are taking an acid medicine like prilocec  or protonix, nexxium etc.  I take protonix twice a day 40mgs. each.  I am never hungry at all anymore.  You are not going to stretch out your stomach.  STay on the food program your dr provided you with.  Make sure you get your liquids in whi*****ludes SF popsicles,  SF jello, etc.  If I ate jello, yogurt and tomato sauce I would probably puke too.  Eat a tiny bit at a time till you have consumed the amount you are supposed to then wait 2 hours before you eat anything else.  Remember nothing to drink 30 minutes before or 1 hour after.  You dare not cheat now.  You could cause your new stomach to leak or cause any number of other things.  You don't want to be in a position that you end up with being tube fed thru a port in your gut because you didn't comply with the Dr's directions.  It can and has happened.  You committed to this when you went into the operating room, its going to be fine in a week or two so don't give up now when you are brand new or you will not be happy later when you are not losing.  YOU CAN DO THIS!
scarlet819
on 5/29/11 2:19 pm - LA
VSG on 05/23/11 with

I had surgery on the same day. I haven't had any emotional issues but I'm also on antidepressants. I do share your hunger issues, though. Sometimes my stomach is so loud that I'm afraid it will disturb other people! I'm getting better at pacing myself with the eating. I haven't had any problems with a particular food as long as I eat it slow and pause in between. I'm on clear liquids till Wednesday so I haven't tried tomato sauce but I've had no problems with the jello. Are you on any protein shakes? Those really help with the hunger and really keep my blood sugar stable. Are you on any PPI's? I've read that decreasing the acid in the stomach will help to decrease the hunger. I would be careful with the cheating at this stage. It's too early for your sleeve to handle too many things.You certainly don't need to develop a leak from eating prematurely.  I know, I could eat a horse right now, or at least something that had some flavor! Earlier today, I took chickn broth and added some spices and hot sauce and drank it! Well, I suffered for that - diarrhea all afternoon! So much for desperation. Things will get better!

ckitchens
on 5/29/11 11:52 pm - Houston, TX
I do drink a protien shake but it doesnt really feel me up it takes forever to drink cause it usaually comes back up. I am just so worried that im the one thats going to fail with this. I cant drink enough i cant hold anything down and while some say hey at least ull lose then i hear the oppisite hat if i cant drink my fluids then i will not lose as much.

dec721
on 5/29/11 11:49 pm - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
Take a deep breath.  Everything will be just fine.

Now, first off, it takes a while for the ghrelin (the hunger hormone) to get out of your system.  After a while you will have a more realistic feel for how much hunger you will actually have.  I, too, was starving for the first few weeks, maybe months, post-op.  Ask your surgeon if you can take an acid-reducer; that will help as well, because sometimes excess acid masquerades as hunger.

The second thing is that you MUST keep sucking down sips of liquid constantly.  Sip sip sip all day long.  If you don't, you will get dehydrated and may end up back in the hospital. If water doesn't do it for you, try broth, tea, Crystal Light ... all different temperatures until you find something that will stay down.  Your first priority during your first month is to stay hydrated!

Do not even entertain the thought of cheating at this point.  Follow your doctor's guidelines to a tee for at least the first six months or you could do real damage to your sleeve and your health.  Remember, you have an open wound inside yourself, and you do not want to jeopardize your new staple line.  Also, cheating can lead to food cravings.  I'm speaking from experience here!  I did fine until about a year and a half post-op when I got back into the sugar and junk carbs.  Now I'm fighting a 20-pound regain and the awful cravings, just like pre-op.  It is NOT worth it!

Please take good care of yourself, and let us know how you are doing.  Best wishes on your journey :-)
--Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

GarnetGirl
on 5/30/11 1:05 am - Houston, TX
I am still hungry and I do take a PPI..stomach acid does cause discomfort and call your dr if you don't currently take one.

I do sip all day...always have a mug of H2O plain or Crystal Light near me.

Pre-mixed or powder protein shakes high in protein, low in carbs etc. do stop the hunger. Small amounts of low fat cottage cheese are good also...and 2 oz only!

I have had to really watch the clock to make sure I eat/sip slowly.

Broth and V8 also helps break up the routine.

Everyone here has done this...and with the prospect that cheating would put me in the hospital with some possibly horrible consequences keeps me grounded.

I made peace with the fact that I can't return to my same foodie lifestyle when I stayed with a girlfriend whose mother is chronically ill and very diabetic...I saw the monitoring, shots, pills and diet of becoming diabetic.

Try and drink protein shakes or add unflavored protein to
broth/pudding.

Hang in there!

GarnetGirl

ckitchens
on 5/30/11 2:08 am - Houston, TX
Thanks everybody for the encouraging words. I have not cheated but lord i hope i over come this soon. Im on this rollercoaster and im scared of hieghts!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 47 views