Garbage disposal

tawana2q
on 6/12/11 9:48 am - NY
 I still learning portions n what I can n shouldnt eat but once n a while Ill either not have enough on the plate but my tummy say oh no buddy your not eating that tonight so I give it to my husband or kids.  I think theyre feeling a certain way cause my hub y will say how did I become the garbage disposal n my son will now say no thankyou and my daughter would automatically ask for my food cause she knows I never finish a whole meal even as left overs.  I need for them not to feel there not my co pactor shoot but its hard to see food go to waste

vjb1952
on 6/12/11 10:31 am - Littlerock, CA
VSG on 03/28/11 with
The need for smaller portions is definitely a lesson to be learned.  It takes awhile to learn how to buy a smaller amount of "what-ever-it-is", or get used to cooking smaller amounts, but it can be learned through repetition and positive attitude. I share food with my husand or my mom all the time now.  It was abit of an adjustment, but they have gotten used to it, and now sharing is closer to normal.  Best wishes as your go through these adjustments,  Viv 

vjb1952

Ms. Poker Face
on 6/12/11 10:42 am
 I'm sure you'll continue to get better at estimating your portions.  Until then, maybe lay off giving them your leftovers?  Or try using smaller plates for yourself so you can't put as much on there (if you aren't already).

Family support is so important.  But they are going through a transition just by watching you and living with you.  So they need your support and reassurance too.

I hate seeing food go to waste, but I have gotten better at just throwing stuff out.  Hard to do, but better than adding it to my thighs.  

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Shari H.
on 6/12/11 10:54 am - MI
 How about freezing the extra in small, one-meal packets, and using them for lunches and such?  
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
FULL DISCLOSURE:  includes 31 lbs lost pre-op 
MN_Mama
on 6/12/11 11:02 am
My husband was a chef, so he always cooks large, restaurant size portions. I am getting used to setting what I think I'll be able to eat on one side of the plate, and packing the other half away for lunch later in the week.
Same when we go out to eat. I order an appetizer, steal a bite or two of hubbys salad or veg, and still have enough for lunch.
You will get better at portions, but it sounds like you have to toss or eat your leftovers yourself.
Thanks for sharing.

kats-mom
on 6/12/11 11:10 am - TX
VSG on 02/15/11 with
It is hard to get the amount right after eating everything and sometimes seconds for years and years. I use kid's plates. For a while, I actually took a picture of my plate before I ate and again after I ate. I could get a better idea of how much to stop putting on the plate. I do better now, but still get the portions too big sometimes. I also WORK to eat slowly and QUIT when I'm full! I also am getting better about throwing out the leftovers! A BIG change from my previous (before sleeve) life. Best wishes as you continue on this journey!!
   Lorraine    kats-mom
        Highest Weight-285  /  1st Nutritionist Appt-275  /  Pre-op Diet-257  /  
                               Day of Surgery: 246  /  Day Home-257

wert
on 6/12/11 11:24 am - MN
Do you have small plates and bowls? I mean SMALL. I found condiment cups and used them. If they hold even 1/4 cup I'd be surprised. At first it was hard to eat even that much. I also used my espresso cups. Tiny little plates and cups. Even then when I'd start to fill them up I'd have to remind myself I wouldn't eat that much and put some back.

And remember, no one in your family has to belong to the clean plate club. So you have to throw some away? So what? Get rid of it. Don't teach your family to over eat. We all know where that got us. When you're done, you're done. They don't have to eat what you leave.

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 290 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 342 views