So when you say sip sip sip sip sip...

Could_It_Be
on 6/15/11 9:27 am
 How long between sips? Like seconds? minutes? lots of minutes?
Ms. Poker Face
on 6/15/11 9:32 am
I'm interested in this topic, too.  Can someone describe how they sip without taking in any air?

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

whamzley
on 7/18/11 3:37 pm
I take a normal size drink and swallow it in thirds or quarters.. hope this helps
katier825
on 6/15/11 10:08 am
At first, you may not feel like you can take but a very tiny sip.  The time between will vary I'm sure from person to person.  It took me several weeks to get to the 64 oz/day requirement.  I guess a minute or few minutes.  No problem with air unless you use a straw (so I was told - I don't know that for sure, never used a straw).  It may be more comfortable for you if you try drinks of various temperatures.  I did better with room temp or warm drinks.  Hated cold drinks at first.
LittleMissSunshine
on 6/15/11 10:20 am
It's more about what your new tiny tummy will tolerate than any specific timing, and I don't know that it's possible to take a swallow without some air, but sipping will minimize it in comparison to gulping.

It's a learning curve to figure out where the line is between what you can do without a problem and what causes discomfort.  You'll know you've hit the line when it feels like you drank too much soda at once... that uncomfortable gas bubble feeling that hurts as it's going down?  That's essentially it.  

Thankfully it only lasts a few seconds, but that's what you're trying to avoid.

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

Could_It_Be
on 6/15/11 10:34 am
Thanks Katie & Sunny!

VSG on 6/22/11
Lalamonkey
on 6/15/11 11:01 am - GA
Sip, sip, sip...  Yes that is as often as you can, and even if you think you can't try.  Take small sips at first  and gradually increase with our comfort level.  Remember water passes through the stomach very quickly - almost instantly.  You will be so suprised at how much you will be able to drink after a while.  First few days can be a bit of a struggle but I swear each sip is a message to your new tummy that it needs to work normally again. 

It will be cranky at first.  Drinking may be a bit uncomfortable at first.  I would suggest trying room temp liquids or warm if you prefer.  It took my sleeve a while to get used to cold or iced beverages again.

They say not to use a straw - gas - burps etc.  Oddly in the hospital that is all they gave me. For me I have always used a straw still do.  More comfortable for me.  If you have concerns purchase a Camelbak bottle - it prevents air in the straw.

As for the walking - as much as you can - as often as you can.  Nothing crazy at first just stay active in the house - up and down stairs, to the mailbox, walk around the living you.  If you are on the phone pace and talk - ever little bit really helps with recovery and post surgical gas dissapation.  Plus your new life is going to be WAY more active so its a great time to get started on that too.

All that said - remember to sip and walk -sip and walk, - sip and walk!!!

Lala
USAF Wife
on 6/15/11 1:07 pm
2oz every 15 minutes were my instructions. Over an 8 hour period, that will magically give you the recommended 64oz of fluids.

I sip, waited a couple of minutes, sipped some more, and then would measure my progress. This was only necessary for a couple of weeks as the swelling subsided.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/11 1:28 pm
My Dr gave me a stack of those little plastic cups that come with liquid medicine. He filled it to the one ounce level and said drink 1/2 of that every 5 minutes.  It worked very well helping me to understand the amount in a "sip".  Later on you will be able to drink the water fairly normally, I am 3 months out and I have been able to drink 2-3 oz at a time for awhile.
angieb77
on 6/15/11 3:41 pm - Blaine, MN
I am newly sleeved and I was told to drink two 1/2 ounce sips of water every 15 minutes in the beginning (one right after the other).  I was given medicine cups at the hospital and was told to use them until I was comfortable with how much a sip is.  Once you get used to sipping you can sip more frequently.

HW: 375 SW: 325 CW: 263 GW: 160
Pre-Surgery WL: 50lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 107 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 335 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 385 views