Sleep and Pain

Christina B.
on 6/21/11 12:34 pm
I had my sleeve on the 6/20 and really am hurting. My neck,back , stoma*****isions. I am having a hard time getting comfortable sleeping. Did anyone find it better sleeping in a recliner? I hope I feel better soon. Coughing is so painful and so are these darn hiccups. I feel so wierd.
sleeve genie
on 6/21/11 12:38 pm - Alhambra, CA
The first two weeks were the hardest for me.  You have to remember you just got sliced and diced and your body is not very happy with you right now.   It sounds like gas pains to me but it does get better.  soon you will feel much better, for now walk, sip, rest and repeat and allow your body to heal.  Congrats on your surgery,  you will be so glad that you did this.  Take care of yourself  :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

livingskinny
on 6/21/11 1:34 pm - NC
OMG the hiccups were the worst for me..they were so painful and I couldn't drink enough water at one time to get rid of them...it was like Chinese torture...but they went away after a couple days....when I feel air in my tummy area I go ahead and start trying to burp it out on my own. I can definitely live without those hiccups ever again....if I were you take a little pain med and phenergan and get some sleep. Tomorrow walk walk walk...get rid of that gas trapped in your neck and back area....its so uncomfortable....you will be feeling like a new person in a few days..it really does get better. I know this because I had my surgery on 6/16/11...and I am feeling great.

MediumSoon
on 6/21/11 2:15 pm - TX
I slept on my couch for several days (my bed is really tall). After 3-4 days I was fine. You will start to feel better with each passing day...

LittleMissSunshine
on 6/21/11 3:46 pm
I had a tough time for the first 2 weeks, but the 3rd weeks seems to have been when I turned the proverbial corner... feeling completely back to normal now at 4 weeks.  The longest lingering annoyance I had was the incisions burning and pulling now and again when I'd move, but even that's gone now.

For sleeping, at first I tried sleeping in my bed, but with pillows propping me up to a similar angle I had in the hospital bed (laying flat didn't feel good at all).  If I had a recliner, I would have slept in it.  I tried the couch and seemed to sleep better there, so I did that for about a week or so and then went back to my bed.  I still had the pillows propped up, though not as much as they had been before.  I eventually tried sleeping flat again and didn't have a problem, but still couldn't sleep on my side because of the incisions.  Again, sometime in the 3rd week I tried turning on my side again and found it didn't bother me anymore.

Good luck with your healing... I hope you're feeling better sooner than later!

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

lisa53406
on 6/21/11 6:06 pm - Racine, WI
Sleeping at first was the hardest thing for me. Recliner wasn't good like I thought it would because I am not a back sleeper and what i have isn't oversized enough so i could find a comfy spot. Lying in bed was PAINFUL but I would resort to it for an hour or two in the beginning.

Key: Use a pillow to hug and support your tummy. This helped when maneurvering around in the bed, supporting my stomach in the bed and also when coughing. It gives you the extra support you need and is SO MUCH better!

This gets better with time. Have faith and this too shall pass.

Lisa

HW: 399   SW: 380    CW: 305   GW: 150  
Christina B.
on 6/22/11 12:36 am
Thank you all, I guess this is all part of recovery. I can't tell you how much it means to me to have the support from everyone on here.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views