Insurance approval....Anthem Blue Cross Partnership (Medi-cal)

Blooming B.
on 7/12/11 7:30 am - Pittsburg, CA
RNY on 01/04/12
I was recently diagnosed with pre-diabetes, hypertension, rheumatoid arthritis, high cholesterol and obstructive sleep apnea. I have a BMI of 44.9 an I am afraid for my life at this point and have made the decision on my own to pursue WLS. I have also decided to switch insurance carriers because I am sick of CCHP and waiting 2 months for a doctors appointment. I was informed by Alta Bates bariatric center that they accept community health network which is under anthem blue cross, I would like for  Alta Bates to do my surgery because I've heard there great so I've switched insurance coverage. I have scheduled my first two appointments which are the seminar and the support group meeting. However, I have not received a green light from my Dr. yet, because I will be seeing a new doctor next month. However, I will be discussing this with my current doctor next week.  I'm pretty confident getting my doctor to approve it wont be a problem considering my diagnosis and my record of failed weight loss (ie. weigh****chers, etc) in addition to a diet that my doctor put me on. I am curious to know how long will it take from this point to get approval from my doctor and the insurance company. Also does anyone have any experience dealing with Anthem Blue Cross (medi-cal). Your shared experiences will help me get an idea of what may happen or I should expect to happen.  Thanks!
obxhatteraslight
on 7/12/11 7:39 am - baldwinsville, NY

Hi there. I have Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield and am a revision from the Lap Band.

I went to Seminar and am going to their nutriton and group meeting tmw. I see their dr next week, can not help you out but wanted to say hello since you are the first to mention anthem BCBS

Blooming B.
on 7/12/11 9:30 am - Pittsburg, CA
RNY on 01/04/12
Question? Do you have Anthem Blue Cross through Medi-Cal? Also are you going through Alta Bates Bariatric center and if so how long did it take you?

thank you for replying to my post I truly appreciate it.
Asecondchanceatlife
on 7/12/11 9:43 am

I am with BCBS. My experience I saw the surgeon on 06/08/11 on the same visit met with the nutritionist (one visit) then I was referred to see a psycharist which I went the following Monday. The Surgeon office informed me that once they submit the paperwork the insurance has 30days to respond but also, mentioned we know within two weeks time. I guess they must of been familar with how my insurance process their request. My paperwork was submitted last week and today I have an answer that I have been approved.  I am  not with the Alta Bates Bariatric. But, I am sure every case and insurance vary. Good luck with everything! 

Blooming B.
on 7/12/11 2:27 pm - Pittsburg, CA
RNY on 01/04/12
Thank You! It seems as if BCBS is pretty prompt from what I have notice, prayerfully my experience will be likewise. Thank you for the well wishes! and Congrats on your approval keep me posted.
obxhatteraslight
on 7/12/11 10:14 am - baldwinsville, NY
No, I am from NYS:) I can only hope that it goes as smoothly that is has for the other poster in this thread though. Nice to meet you btw:)
Blooming B.
on 7/12/11 2:25 pm - Pittsburg, CA
RNY on 01/04/12
Very Nice to meet you too. Thank you for all the feedback I truly appreciate it. Were is NYS?
lanunes
on 7/12/11 6:32 pm - CA
 Hi...I have Anthem Blue Cross. My suregon( I believe most do this) would not submit paperwork for approval until the psych/nutrional evaluation are done. I have ppo insurance so I didn't need a primary care referral either which I think makes a difference. Once my paperwork was submitted it took 2 weeks to get my approval, then I have to do all of the pre-op testing ( fun stuff).....Not sure if that helped at all. If you have more questions please feel free to message me. Good luck!
      Leslie Nunes              
Blooming B.
on 7/12/11 7:18 pm - Pittsburg, CA
RNY on 01/04/12
That was very encouraging. Thank You!
Blooming B.
on 9/15/11 3:40 pm - Pittsburg, CA
RNY on 01/04/12
Well just to update you guys.... I have completed all my appointment as of yesterday. It's been about 60 days and I'm well on my way. I was advised that they will send for insurance approval in 2 weeks.
Qutee    
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views