Birth Control Pre and Post Op

chunkymonkey1991
on 7/14/11 9:49 am
Hello all,

So I'm currently on the pill (Yaz) and the nutritionist said to get off the pill for a month before the surgery and I figure it could be a little while post op before I start taking it again bc it's a pill. Also, once you go off the pill it takes a month of being on it again to actually get you protected.

I just visited my OBGYN and he said he could give me the Depo-Provera shot (bc it uses progesterone and not estrogen like the pill) or an IUD like Mirena. The shot lasts 3 months which sounds good bc I could just go back to the pill after those 3 months. The IUD lasts like 5 years but he said it could hurt putting it in because I've never given birth.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I get the shot and go back on the pill or get an IUD and deal with the discomfort? We're not supposed to get pregnant for like a year and a half after the surgery and I soo don't want to get pregnant for like another decade (I'm 20).

Suggestions please! :)
Ariana_Rose
on 7/14/11 10:02 am - NJ
VSG on 07/06/11 with
My OBGYN won't do an IUD unless you have already given birth, regardless of the cir****tances. Personally, I would do the shot - especially if you are willing to start taking the pill again 3 months down the line.
"Nothing great is ever achieved without much enduring." - St. Catherine of Sienna

romea
on 7/14/11 10:17 am, edited 7/13/11 10:19 pm
I also take Yaz and my doctor asked me to stop taking it 2 weeks prior to surgery. I had the Depo-Provera shot before and had tried 5-6 different types of birth control pills before I started taking Yaz and had problems with spotting. The worst was when I had the shot and had a period for a month (no joke). I have a few friends who did the shot as well and had the same issue. My doctor said I will be able to go back on my pills within a day or two after surgery, but I may wait a little longer and go an entire month then start back on them just to give my body a break since I've been on them continuously for years now. My plan is to use condoms if the occasion arises and have the support of my boyfriend on that so I don't think there will be any problem. If you can, I would avoid the shot, but thats just me!
Yay for your surgery!
chunkymonkey1991
on 7/14/11 10:20 am
I think I'll just get the shot and go back on the pill. Btw I've never heard anything proven that your body needs a "break" from the pill. I've checked on that and it seems be more rumor than doctor supported. I think the best type of birth control is the pill after hearing all the downsides of the shot and IUD; thanks all!
romea
on 7/14/11 11:13 am
 I know that your body doesn't necessarily need a "break" from it, but I just wanted to give myself some time off the hormones. Good luck with depo!
runfatgirlrun
on 7/14/11 10:22 am
I have the Mirena, which is an IUD, and I never have given birth.  I love it but I warn you that the progesterone may make it more difficult to lose weight.  I have not had my VSG surgery yet but have had stalled weight loss since getting my IUD and my family Dr. has sent me for tests to see if my levels are raised.  The IUD is great because it really regulates your periods and they are very light or you have nothing.  It also is great to be able to not worry about taking a pill.  I will not lie to you in that it did hurt alot when it was adminstered.  Worse part for me was the cream and drug they gave me to soften my cervix the day before.  I think it was meant for pregnant women to start their contractions because that is what it did for me and it was brutal. Let's just say this whole contraction experience turned me off ever getting pregnant.  This all being said, I would opt for the IUD again because for the brief period of pain it has been worth it. My OBGYN told me that the IUD has the same effectiveness as a tubal ligation but it can be removed if I ever wanted to get pregnant.  The odds of getting pregnant on the IUD are almost Nil.  Many of my friends have it and they love it.  They also have been able to lose weight on it more so than the Pill or shot.
(deactivated member)
on 7/14/11 10:31 am - WV
The RN at my sugeons office says I have to discontinue my pills 1 week (I take Sprintek) prior to surgery and have to be off the pill 30 days after surgery to prevent blood clots.  I have an appointment with my OB/GYN tomorrow and I wll sefinitely see what options I have.  I was curious about this too.
suthernqueen
on 7/14/11 10:35 am
Ask about Implanon. It's a small implant inserted in your arm just beneath the skin. last 3yrs.

I did have problems with cycle 1st few months but after that cycle left completely until major weight loss started cycle has returned but cramps are non existent.

procedure done in the office and went back to work the same day.

Could_It_Be
on 7/14/11 11:06 am
Personally I would not do the shot, do some research on it yourself.

I took my yasmin the night before surgery and then resumed it after I passed the leak test, per my doc. We've not had sex yet but will also use condoms just to be safe.

Good luck with your choices!

VSG on 6/22/11
Alicia L.
on 7/14/11 11:18 am - Wichita, KS
 My Nut didn't give me any advice to stop taking my pills.  I took them the night before surgery and the evening of my surgery.  My doc was on board with this also.

Find me on facebook: facebook.com/shoppinggirl
I also routinely update my blog, www.memyselfandalicia.com
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 255 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views