Popcorn help

Sandy S.
on 8/17/11 2:23 am
I am 9 weeks out.  I am planning a special mom-son afternoon with a movie.  I have not had popcorn since surgery.  Can I have it this soon and if so  about how much?  I don't want to trust my sleeve to tell me because I think this could be slider food for me.  I can pass on popcorn if I should but popcorn is a tradition and I'd like to share a bag with my boy.  What do ya think?

"Step by step the longest march can be won,"  Sweet Honey and the Rock- Peace, San  HW 463 Surgery: 6/13/11; SW 413      
(deactivated member)
on 8/17/11 2:37 am, edited 8/17/11 2:39 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with

For my program, I needed to wait a few months for popcorn. Edit to add, looking at my paperwork it says "avoid popcorn, nuts, taffy, not to say you cannot have it ever again, just further on down the road."

For me, I can eat ****pots of popcorn.  I have it once a year at the movies covered with melted leisure suit (:}) and enjoy every chemical buttery goobery bite.

Some folks eat it a lot, but for me, its a danger thing, because once I have it, I tend to perseverate on it and want it a lot.  Just having it once a year at our anniversary movie helps because I do get to have it, but do not have to wear it, and do not have to be tortured by the smell of it at the movies the other times we go, because its not a no never, its just a no not now. 

Some folks eat it plain and all the time, but plain popcorn holds no joy for me.  And its flat out non nutritious so the joy part is all its got going for it!  :} 

Did your program have a time frame, girlie?

loverofcats
on 8/17/11 2:40 am
Personally, I think you are too early out to eat popcorn. What does your program say about it? It is a slider food and you are in the middle of your high weight loss months. Why slow down your weight loss? Share your company with your son and start a new tradition of eating a protein based snack, like cheese or something else that is nutritious. This is the time to be developing new and healthier habits. Theater popcorn is one of the worst things that one can eat. Extremely high in unhealthy fats and high in calories. Your sleeve needs protein.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Sandy S.
on 8/17/11 2:53 am, edited 8/17/11 2:53 am
Thanks, loverofcats. I don't think my nut ever mentioned popcorn- just no corn, DAH!, so I guess she did.  I guess I'll just pass on popcorn cause I sure don't want to break my stride.  Thanks.

Brandi, so glad to see you on here again.  Missed you.  As always you advice is so appreciated.  I bet popcorn will take me back to those days of eating too much- I love it too much- lots of emotion attached to it.  I am not going to say never just not now. Maybe sometime at home when I can measure and be "real" with my self and not at the theater with all the distractions.  Love your new pic.  Keep in touch. 

"Step by step the longest march can be won,"  Sweet Honey and the Rock- Peace, San  HW 463 Surgery: 6/13/11; SW 413      
USAF Wife
on 8/17/11 2:58 am, edited 8/17/11 2:58 am
I can eat ****pots of popcorn as well. I don't even like it that much, but I'll sit there through a 2 hour movie and eat a large popcorn with my 13 yr old son. . I stash beef jerky in my purse when I go to the movies.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

skinnyskribe65
on 8/17/11 3:29 am
EEK. 9 weeks seems awfully early! I wasn't hardly eating solid food let alone popcorn at that time! I'm now 8 months out and I do eat popcorn (Ibuy the microwave "tender white") and enjoy it a lot, (in fact have to be careful because I can eat half a bag all by myself!) but I tried it a few months ago at the movies and was miserable for a few hours afterward.
Jan G.
on 8/17/11 4:05 am - WI
Yes I too would suggest you wait awhile longer.
As much as we gobble popcorn up, its tricky now
with this new tummy. Think of it as you would a newborn.
Would you give your BABY popcorn? We have baby tummies now. LOVE your new baby..LOL

BUT when I used to have popcorn I would AIRPOP it and sprinkle this parmasean cheese powder on it..and it was mighty tasty. In the future that's what I plan to do. AND I would eat a kernal at a time so as not to shove large handfuls (bigger than our own mouths) and lead to binging.

We HAVE to learn how to handle cravings and binge eating..or this was all for naught.

Best to you..bring another safe "treat" along to movies~

Jan

VSG: 08/05/2011   Age 62   5 foot:  HW: 207    SW 194   CW 156

loverofcats
on 8/17/11 4:34 am
I love your analogy!!! It is so true!!!
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

vacationlover
on 8/17/11 4:49 am
I could have popcorn at 3 months.  Since it is a slider for me, I bring one once of beef jerky and a measuring cup to the movies.  I eat the jerky first, then have a cup of popcorn.  The jerky prevents me from eating to much of the popcorn :)

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

ravenssummer
on 8/17/11 5:40 am - West Warwick, RI
If they offer kid size popcorn thats a better opption but I would say wait till your at least 2 1/2 to 3 months out to eat it. Instead have some coco almonds the 100 calorie pack I can never eat more than that anyways.
HW 348 SW 329 CW 196  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 60 views