prayers please!!

laurabelle2009
on 8/23/11 12:24 am
 so would appreciate your prayers. I have a very long history of clinical depression and have taken an antidepresant for 20 years. Very strong family history as well. I was sleeved 8 days ago and have done amazingingly well recovering ptl!!! However, my low seretonin levels have caught me and with each passing day my anxiety and depression is worsening, Will be seeing my doc today @ 5pm, so any words of encouragement would be so welcomed, and of course your prayers. I went into this very prepared, full of peace, however I cannot control the chemicals in my brain. I was so hoping this would improve after my sleeve,. Thanks everyone for your support!!
Lori B.
on 8/23/11 12:31 am
Did you have to go off the meds for surgery? If so, I hope they can help you ASAP. Depression is HORRIBLE, BTDT before. I also have had anxiety issues so I know how that is too. Sleeve doesn't fix everything unfortunately. However, I feel that exercise has helped my anxiety 80% this past year. I never expected that benefit from it but I'll take it!

Prayers sent to you!

~Lori
~Lori

HW 286.5   GW 155   CW 153
yellowbagbg
on 8/23/11 12:41 am - Flint, MI
Exercise is a wonderful mood stabilizer so getting up walking should help and try to keep your mind off of not having your meds because that alone with heighten your anxiety therefore causing the depression.  If you have ever been in therapy now is the time to think of all the tools you learned in therapy for coping such as brething techniques or journaling put those tools along with your sleeve to use! Good Luck to ya and hey you always have OH here to help you to dont hold back! 

jadelet
on 8/23/11 12:54 am
From what I have read, even without a history of depression, you're in a rough time period that often results in depression, and  that will get better over time. Go to your doc, see what he can do to get you through it. And whatever else, know you can come here to vent, or to look for support. We get it. :) We really do.

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.?

HW: 280   SW: 277 CW: 196

Jan G.
on 8/23/11 1:00 am - WI
I hear your concerns..but.. maybe this will allow you to research nutritional help for your low levels of seratonin. 20 years is a long time, family hx tells me its something even more. I have worked in the mental health/drug field for many years and saw the malnutrition effects.

I have this specalized nutritionist who can find out what you are lacking and how you may be toxic from the very meds meant to help. With all of us post surgery..its worth an eval to see what else WE need after this rather traumatizing event called surgery.

Look up NRT-Nutritional Response Testing and find a provider for a free class. Mine happens to be a nutritionist, whose own father was a MD who died from Crohns..and I think he had it too. His dad told him to get into the nutritional health business (family owns a health food store) and save lives. He saved MINE!!

Good luck.. some folks need both meds..but poor brains really are lacking nutrients, minerals and other detoxifying help.

Jan

VSG: 08/05/2011   Age 62   5 foot:  HW: 207    SW 194   CW 156

laurabelle2009
on 8/23/11 1:32 am
Hi Jan, Thanks for your reply!! Do you live in WI? I do!! Where did you go for help? Laurie
Phyll H
on 8/23/11 2:10 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 08/04/08 with
prayers going up !!
Leslie B.
on 8/23/11 3:33 am - MO
I also have been on meds for a long time and my dr did not take me off of anything long term.  I only did not take my meds for 3 days then I crushed them.  They had my prescriptions filled to meds that would beable to be crushed.  There are also many liquids available.  There should really be no reason for you to be going through all of this.  (of course in my opinion).  My Dr was absolutely wonderful about making sure that I had everything I needed to not fall into depression or have anxiety issues.  Call your dr and see if there are any options for you.  Good luck and I will pray for you.  Be strong, this is the best decision ever!!!!  Leslie

"I am so happy with my new life, would not change it for anything!"
ljbarbara
on 8/23/11 10:12 am
Congratulations on your successful surgery and amazing recovery.  Things will get better, believe me.  You have several things going on at once and being hit with them all at the same time can be a bit much for anyone.  It's very common for people recovering from surgery to become depressed.  Your body has been violated, cut, stapled and sewn.  Also, you have the after effects of the anesthesia that can take some time to dissipate.  On top of that, you have been off your SSRI's for a while and your serotonin levels are wacky.  You should be able to reintroduce  your med's soon.  I was able to start mine again  the day after surgery.   Be sure to let your doctor know how important it is to you to begin your meds again.  One of the biggest things that happen to us after weight loss surgery is the massive release of estrogen and we all know what that can do to a gal!  Estrogen is stored in our fat cells and with the fat loss the estrogen is released into our system.
Everything you are experiencing is normal and again, it will get better!  My prayers are with you sweetie!

Original surgery: VSG Feb. 2009

REVISED TO RNY FEBRUARY 2016

Height: 5'7"

Start weight: 252. Current weight: 120

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views