The defeat mindset

smbergie200
on 9/1/11 11:09 pm - Naples, FL
I am suffering a little bit with hunger and really look forward to being able to double my food portion next tuesday. I am suffering a little bit with the defeat mindset. What I mean is I get doubts and self talk that what happens if this doesn't work. Now I know logically that if I follow my plan the weight will come off and these things take time. For some reason my brain doesn't want to believe the logic. Soooo many failures in losing weight in the past sometimes this just feels like another. I get a little down that the weight just doesn't fly off me for this sacrifice I have made. I just hate my brain sometimes. Why can't the logical side of the brain get along with the emotional side of the brain. Oh well, just a little frustration as I sit here hungry waiting for my next measly 2 ounces of food. Then I think - How do I really know my stomach is gone. I want to see an X-ray. What happened if they accidentally gave me RNY. Sigh ... Thanks for listening to me wallow needlessly.

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

kimbethin
on 9/1/11 11:23 pm - CA

Look at your ticker and think about how far you've come already.  I had some hard moments at the beginning thinking "is this too good to be true" and "what if I fail at this too?"   On those days try one meal or one hour at a time.  Exercise is a good distraction during those times, gives you another way to cope with stress and anxiety and every time you do it you have something positive that you've done to replace some of that negative self talk.  Hang in there.  You can do this!

putting one foot in front of the other...        
cannonkb
on 9/1/11 11:41 pm - SC
 I wish I could say these feelings of self-doubt go away but I think for some of us they are always there lurking in the background.  Even now at 88 lbs. down they are still there and sometimes rear their ugly head.  It has taken me 1 1/2 months to lose the last 10 lbs. that I have lost so my mind is like, "Oh, okay here we go.  This is when it stops and starts heading back in the other direction.  I knew it was just a matter of time."  I find myself sometimes telling my brain to shut up!  I've thought several times about seeing a therapist to see if this helps but unfortunately right now the time and money just aren't there for this.  Hopefully just the awareness that these thoughts are irrational will help get us thru. Hang in there!  You are not alone.

carabarnes
on 9/2/11 12:01 am
My doc gave me pictures of my stomache after surgery. Thats the only way I knew it was gone. Soon you be able to eat more. Its hard at first for your mind to catch up. Your doing great. Keep your head up!

Cara 
current weight 123
I'm 28 and 5'5.

smbergie200
on 9/2/11 2:18 am - Naples, FL
On September 2, 2011 at 7:01 AM Pacific Time, carabarnes wrote:
My doc gave me pictures of my stomache after surgery. Thats the only way I knew it was gone. Soon you be able to eat more. Its hard at first for your mind to catch up. Your doing great. Keep your head up!
My doctor would not. He said it is against policy. Its my damn stomach. grrrr

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

Kim_M
on 9/2/11 12:12 am - LaPorte, TX
This is normal .My brain kept telling me you will be the first to fail or the first to go bald.I havent done either yet.Take one day at a time you are still new at this.You will do great we won't let u do anything but. Just give it some time once you gt to eat dense protein that tummy will mae a believer out of you .

First month since VSG 33  2nd 14 lbs 3rd12lbs 4th10lbs 5th10lbs 6th 9lbs 7th 13lbs 8th 13 lbs  9th 2 10th 6 11th bounced 175-180 12th  bounced  13th 2 lb cw(164)      
doggz109
on 9/2/11 6:50 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
I'm sure it also has something to do with the fact that you are recovering.  Your body is still full of ghrelin and basically in shock still.

Your brain still believes it can eat that much food.

Also - I am assuming you are still home and recovering?  If you can stand it.....get busy doing something!  A hobby....walking.....whatever gets your mind off food as long as it is tolerable with your recovery.

Sitting around waiting to eat and thinking about food is going to drive you insane.  Get off the hamster wheel and break that cycle.
nsblue
on 9/2/11 7:40 pm - Brookfield. NS, Canada
You have had many many years of eating large.... eventhough they took your stomach, you still have your brain... and it was very much a part of you being overweight. The mind is very powerful and takes alot of work to combat those old habits, feelings of hunger and self doubt. Remember your sleeve is only a tool... the real work comes from YOU. Work on YOU and your mindset. YOU are IMPORTANT. I hear your sighs, we all wallow... just don't wallow long, OK?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 401 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 428 views