choosing what protein drinks are most economical and taste good

BETHC500
on 10/29/11 6:56 am, edited 10/29/11 7:01 am
I was wondering which protein drinks people like after the surgery?  I think I need some with variety packs and that offer sweet and savory flavors.  I tried Unjury (the dr office gave me a few samples). I know that sometimes peoples tastes change after surgery for awhile so I wanted to  get the sample variety type packs. I went online and the variety pack online for Unjury is 10 packs for 17.95 plus shipping.  I am not familiar with any other brands or types that and how they taste. 
Help... I need to order soon if I will have them before I come home from the hospital.. Thanks everybody...
atomic_bettie
on 10/29/11 7:05 am - OK
I really liked the Atkins Advantage in Caramel.  They are 160 cal, 5 carbs, and 15 g of protein I believe.  If you can afford it, I would definitely get the Unjury Chicken.  It's sooo good, especially if you need a break from the sweet stuff!
Visit my WLS blog:  themisfitscarlett.blogspot.com                                    
kimbethin
on 10/29/11 7:36 am - CA
I like premier protein shakes.  They sell them in cases of 18 at costco.  They have chocolate and I hear they are starting to sell vanilla ones too.  They have other flavors online, I think.  30gm protein and 170 cal.  I alos like the detour protein bars at costco.  They sell boxes with 3 or 4 flavors.  I've tried a lot of protein bars and they are my favorite.  15 gm protein.  Don't buy too much before surgery.  Your taste may change afterward. Good luck with your surgery- have a speedy recovery.
putting one foot in front of the other...        
BETHC500
on 10/30/11 6:49 am
Thanks for the good wishes. I did buy a few things and I now have some samples of the unjury just to get me by for the first 5 or 6 days at home. Then I can go get something else.
Crystal M.
on 10/29/11 7:58 am - El Paso, TX
I like Muscle Milk powder (I buy it locally at Vitamin World) and Nectar (I buy it on Amazon.com).

My favorite flavor of Muscle Milk is the Vanilla Creme because I can add syrups, extracts, or fresh fruit to vary the flavor. From Nectar, I love the Fuzzy Navel flavor; it's like a glass of peach/orange juice or Tang.
It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not.                

Mom4Jazz
on 10/29/11 9:37 am
The best and most economical thing I've found is Body Fortress Super Advanced Weigh - you can get it at Walmart for $14.98 for a 2 lb tub. It's good quality protein and tastes good (at least in Chocolate, which is all I drink).

A couple of things I do to perk it up: I add a light teaspoonful of Hershey's Dark Chocolate Cocoa and/or about 4 eye-dropper size drops of peppermint extract per scoope (I usually do 1 1/2 scoops and 6 drops). This makes it taste like mint chocolate chip ice cream. Be careful with the peppermint, though - a little too much is too much.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

krystals
on 10/29/11 11:47 am - TX
VSG on 07/15/11 with
I think that no matter what kind you get most of them get nasty or you get tired of it after awhile. I have the Unjury soup it was good to me right after surgery, however when I went to mushies I didn't like it anymore. Plus it has a lot of sodium in it. I got the Nectar medical flavorless protein from Amazon and that is what I have been using. I put it in a few ounces of silk vanilla milk by it's self it taste great. I have also taken a taste for tea and I have been using the Nectar lemon tea and that is great. Just try to avoid buying the big buckets of stuff unless you really like it. I wasted a lot of money on the wrong stuff to, make sure the protein is the whey protein not the collagen protein. Body fortress at Walmart is good but I got tired of it quick to.

BETHC500
on 10/30/11 6:46 am

Are these powders easy to mix? Do you need a blender or can you use a shaker cup?

krystals
on 10/30/11 7:09 am - TX
VSG on 07/15/11 with
Yes they are easy to mix a shaker cup is fine. However if you are mixing in hot beverages first mix up in a small cup with cold water then pour it in your hot beverage. That way it won't mess up the consistency of the protein. Were did you get your unflavored protein from? I ordered mine off of amazon it was a little pricey. Good luck all will go well!!

BETHC500
on 10/30/11 2:39 pm

I got the unflavored soy protein from Wegmans (a local grocery here in NY)  The brand is Genisoy - natural protein powder. It has 110 calories with 25 gr protein and 0 sugars, also has vit A, Vit C, Calcium, Iron, Vit E, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vit b6, folate, Vit B12, Biotin, Panthenic Acid, Phosperous, Iodine, Magnesium, Xinc, Selenium and Copper. The percentage of daily recommended values is generally 25% but Vit E is 100%, Folate is 40%, Copper is 45% and Phosperous is 35%.  I figure its got alot going for it. I think it was 12.99. I did find that its better when mixed in a blender though.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views